vCash

Anyone has experience with Open Office?

My nephew told me that I can get Open Office for free on my computer, instead of paying a ton of money to Microsoft (current prices: $140+tax for just ONE PC; over $200 for more than one PC). I tried to install it on my desktop and kept running into problems. Even though I had converted to IE7, it kept giving me an error message that I would need IE7 or higher to install.

Anyone has experience with Open Office? It's supposed to have what's similar to MS office (writing documents, spreadsheets, presentations). Since it's free, I am wondering what's the catch, and what's the quality like?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    My nephew told me that I can get Open Office for free on my computer, instead of paying a ton of money to Microsoft (current prices: $140+tax for just ONE PC; over $200 for more than one PC). I tried to install it on my desktop and kept running into problems. Even though I had converted to IE7, it kept giving me an error message that I would need IE7 or higher to install.

Anyone has experience with Open Office? It's supposed to have what's similar to MS office (writing documents, spreadsheets, presentations). Since it's free, I am wondering what's the catch, and what's the quality like?
    I use open office all the time. It's been fine for me. I use the spread sheets and the text documents. I never used Microsoft Office (could never afford it) so I can't compare but, like you, I am told they are very similar.

- This said, I have a MAC so I can't help you with the download.

- Recently there was a "free software" thread and I remember someone mentioning that there was another program they liked better than Open Office. If I find the thread I will post a link.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    A lot of my students use Open Office. It's fine. It doesn't do everything that Office does, but most people are fine with what it does do.

This is a good, clean download: http://download.cnet.com/OpenOffice-...-10263109.html

Beware, beware, beware of bloatware, however. Be sure that you don't accept anything other than the main program or you will get toolbars and all kinds of crap you don't want.

The program recommendation in the freeware thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3826806

I'm not familiar with LibreOffice, but it can be downloaded here: http://www.libreoffice.org/#0
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    We used Open Office. I'm not surprised it is asking for for higher than IE 7. Why not update to the current version?

We used open office but had formatting problems going from word to open office (open office was on the mac) so we just went straight to gmail. Nothing to install, just get a free gmail account and google drive is perfect for most needs.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I do have Open Office but it bloats my computer like woh. I don't need much word processing power, so I use Google Docs for most of my office needs.

vCash
    I hate open office - disclaimer - I am a former Microsoft employee (didn't work in office, and I am not going to comment on their new pricing 'strategy').

as for IE - please, please update. IE 9 is so much better - every time the IE team does a new version of IE you should get rid of the old one immediately. The competition from Chrome and Firefox keep them on their toes (I prefer Firefox to IE 7, but IE 9 over Firefox).

For light weight free editing I prefer Google docs over open office.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlCanSkate View Post
    We used Open Office. I'm not surprised it is asking for for higher than IE 7. Why not update to the current version?

We used open office but had formatting problems going from word to open office (open office was on the mac) so we just went straight to gmail. Nothing to install, just get a free gmail account and google drive is perfect for most needs.
    I did update it (did you read my opening post?) and it still gave me that message.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    I hate open office - disclaimer - I am a former Microsoft employee (didn't work in office, and I am not going to comment on their new pricing 'strategy').

as for IE - please, please update. IE 9 is so much better - every time the IE team does a new version of IE you should get rid of the old one immediately. The competition from Chrome and Firefox keep them on their toes (I prefer Firefox to IE 7, but IE 9 over Firefox).

For light weight free editing I prefer Google docs over open office.
    My computer is not letting me update to anything higher than IE7.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    My computer is not letting me update to anything higher than IE7.
    odd - have you tried Firefox of Google Chrome as an alternative? I would assume open office would work with those?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    odd - have you tried Firefox of Google Chrome as an alternative? I would assume open office would work with those?
    I always use Firefox. I added google chrome today. The strange thing is I am accessing open office website from firefox and it automatically takes me to IE and gives me this strange message about my browser not supporting it, and it asks me to upgrade it.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Try Googling the exact error message you get. I will bet that someone else has had the same problem. Open Office has a pretty active forum where people help each other troubleshoot things.

This might be a good start: http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum...php?f=6&t=1050

vCash
    The school I worked at used to have Open Office.

It's okay... my major issue with it was that while you could open a word or excel document, the formatting often was messed up on Open Office.