Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Figure skating community defends Kaetlyn Osmond’s ‘over-sexualized’ routine

Figure skating community defends Kaetlyn Osmond’s ‘over-sexualized’ routine
    http://o.canada.com/sports/figure-sk...lized-routine/
    The young figure skater from Newfoundland upset some people over the weekend with her short program at the Skate Canada International in Saint John, N.B., which some deemed in poor taste. Osmond skated to “Big Spender” from Sweet Charity, a musical about a prostitute.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Over-sexualized? She looked like a cute girl trying to do Fosse. If she was going for sexy, at least for me, she failed. (And really, shouldn't we be more concerned with the number of skaters who end up dead at the end of their programs? Or presumably kill someone else during their fighting footwork sequences. Once again, sex is supposedly worse than violence.)

vCash
    Sugar, is finding incredibly stupid and badly written articles your hobby? Honestly...

This kind of crap really doesn't deserve to be promoted.

(And yes, that program wasn't sexy in the slightest)

vCash
    ^^^
    ITA!

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    LEAVE KAETLYN ALONE!!!

vCash
    Who were the "some" who deemed it in poor taste, other than Rosie DiManno, who shouldn't really count? I did see a reference on the same website to Kaetlyn being the Miley Cyrus of skating, but come on - she wore more fabric in her SP than Miley has all year, and Kaetlyn is actually talented.

Also, what Ziggy said.

ETA: how is a musical about a prostitute different from operas featuring prostitutes and courtesans, BTW? Is it because the latter are more highbrow?
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 10-27-2013 at 06:17 PM.

vCash
    I don't see the big deal...The Canadian version of Miley Cyrus? There was nothing particularly controversial about that and the performance didn't make me sick.. Miley is actually an adult and well I didn't find her performance at the VMAs sexy, I found it weird.

This being said, I don't really care for the program, I think its a bit silly/put on.

vCash
    For the record, Sweet Charity isn't about a prostitute at all; it's about a dance hall hostess. Not the same thing.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    This makes absolutely no sense at all. There was nothing controversial about Kaetlyn's program at all. Someone's trolling out there is all I can think.

When someone skates naked and licks a variety of objects then they can be called the Miley Cyrus of figure skating!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    For the record, Sweet Charity isn't about a prostitute at all; it's about a dance hall hostess. Not the same thing.
    Some idiots don´t know the difference. Poor Osmond!

vCash
    Is that what people were getting their collective nuts in an uproar over? Yeesh, reviewers have got to lay off of this: http://www.upalong.org/images/Screech_02.jpg when commentating on Kaetlyn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Um, don't all the dancers, including Charity, proposition the customers with Big Spender though? Maybe looking for a Sugar Daddy isn't quite the same as turning a trick.

Either way, I don't see the issue- Big Spender is a very common song in dance and skating competitions among teens. It has a good beat and is easy to costume. It isn't about sex when teens use it. I used it when I was 16, and didn't think anything of it- and yes, I wore gloves.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 10-27-2013 at 10:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    When someone skates naked and licks a variety of objects then they can be called the Miley Cyrus of figure skating!
    Please don't be giving anyone (coughMorozovcough) any ideas....
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    This makes absolutely no sense at all. There was nothing controversial about Kaetlyn's program at all. Someone's trolling out there is all I can think.

Aaagh! Please don't give anybody these MC ideas! You are right about trolling. Rosie DiManno is one when she writes about skating. About a week ago, she wrote an absolutely brilliant piece - on our mayor. But I do wish she'd stay away from skating as she is an "outrage journalist". This is a rather thin and flimsy attempt to be controversial. Why can't the Star bring back Robin Doolittle? She was a skater and knew what she was talking about. Rosie should stick to topics where venom is useful - child abuse, wife-battering, rape culture, Syrian refugees, Bangladeshi factory workers, gays in Russia, etc.
    Ignore her folks!

vCash
    UMm.....what? Is this DiManno's pseud or something?

Kaetlyn, like Julia, is fine and will do well to ignore these dumb articles.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    A reporter from Osmond’s hometown of Marystown questioned the musical choice for a 17-year-old and in an article describing Osmond as “sultry, sexy and way too sophisticated,”
    If anything, figure skating needs to be way more sophisticated.

vCash
    Who is this "reporter" from Marystown? I couldn't find any articles from Kaetlyn's hometown paper criticizing her music choices, much less covering Skate Canada at all. The big articles about her were from September when she made a visit to one of the schools there.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Even I've skated to that music.

vCash
    Uh Charity Hope Valentine is most definitely a prostitute who calls herself a dance hall hostess but that doesn't make her one. Watch or read the musical for crying out loud. It's clear as day.

vCash
    Not that I'm knocking Osmond for skating to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast