Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    gold dust woman
    vCash
    Practice makes perfect--I have often had people ask me about how I was able to develop my makeup skills. The answer is that I've been working on it for over 20 years! Once you get the basics down (especially with eye makeup), you can build on that.

So, the Coastal Scents hot pot eye shadows are my latest find (I probably have more eye shadow than anything else in my collection.) I like that you can choose the shades and the pigmentation is pretty great. They are super affordable, esp. when compared with MAC: http://www.coastalscents.com/makeup/...ed-shadow.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Speaking of lashes, does anyone else have the irrational fear of the eyelash curler? I get so freaked out by it, seems like it will tear out my lashes. Luckily, they curve upwards on their own.
    I don't have any fear of eye lash curlers (well, maybe of heated ones) but I don't use them as often as I'd like. Lately I'm putting mascara on in the car (after I've parked) or otherwise on the run, so I just curl/twist the wand while applying. It seems to give my lashes a lift, especially with lengthening and less-heavy/stiff formulas.

Speaking of mascara, I finally found Maybelline's coloured mega plush mascara! I bought all three shades because they were on sale. I can't wait to try them with corresponding eyeliner colours!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I've seen some of the Pixiwoo ones. It's a lost cause - like hair tutorials and car maintenance, I can see what I'm supposed to do but I just can't get it right on my own.
    I find the Pixiwoo ones interesting to watch but not very educational. They're so advanced that the little stuff that newbies need to learn isn't even touched upon. Plus, they have beautiful faces for makeup - very spacious eyelids and cheekbones galore. Her name gets thrown about a ton, but Lisa Eldridge has some great videos on applying makeup.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    With makeup - keep it simple. Tinted lipbalm and mascara can take you far. It also depends on your skin a lot.
    It also depends on your features. My eyebrows are nonexistent and I wear very strong prescription glasses, so my must to get out of the house is eyebrow pencil. If I want to go further, then some smudgy eyeliner pencil. I'm really lucky that it's only my eyebrows that need immediate attention. I have pretty even skin and a strong bone structure so I feel that contouring would be OTT.

I did learn to apply eyeshadow with a cateye brush for my wedding, but eyeliner pencil is SO much faster! Most of the tutorials don't work for me because I have bug-like Asian eyes, one eye with an eyelid fold and one without. Liquid liner takes friggin FOREVER because it looks uneven unless i really take the time to compare the amount with both eyes open, then adjusting. My right eye takes 3x as much eye makeup as my left to look even when my eyes are open.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I find the Pixiwoo ones interesting to watch but not very educational. They're so advanced that the little stuff that newbies need to learn isn't even touched upon. Plus, they have beautiful faces for makeup - very spacious eyelids and cheekbones galore.
    They have awesome eyelids/brows and very clear skin. Watching them do eye makeup makes me want to get a brow lift!!! Pixiwoo does have some more basic videos if you look for them.

I did make it to VIB status at Sephora for the first time last year. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    I did make it to VIB status at Sephora for the first time last year. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
    So did I, and it's a very, very bad thing.

Thank goodness we don't have a store here, and it's on-line only for me. One thing I like about buying from their website is that shipping is free if you spend over $50.00, and I NEVER spend less than that.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I needed a blow dry heat protector product and randomly grabbed L'Oreal Boost It Blowout Heatspray at CVS. I think I meant to get TreSemme but whatever, I was in a hurry.

The good--it made my hair really shiny, added volume and reduced frizz. And all I wanted was heat protection! Cool.

The bad--today is day 2 and the hair looks like it needs a washing while usually I can go 2 full days without washing my hair. Oh well.

The ugly--it smells awful. Sweet fruity floral cheap perfumey drugstore crap that it is. But the fragrance (if one can call it that, ugh) is highly volatile and is gone without a trace after I blow dry my hair. So I can live with it for the 5-10 minutes it takes me to blow dry.

Can anyone recommend a better smelling but effective alternative?

Bought into the hype of Dior's new nailpolishes--that's my one addiction. Supposedly, this new product is just as shiny and durable as gel but comes off easily like a nail polish. Hmmm....going to give it a whirl and back it goes if it displays even a hint of a chip or scratch under a week because at this price it better be out of this world. Got the color Rouge, classic.

Of course, Chanel's nail polishes are just as expensive and are some of the crappiest around. Streaks on application, chips almost immediately. Stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I find the Pixiwoo ones interesting to watch but not very educational. They're so advanced that the little stuff that newbies need to learn isn't even touched upon. Plus, they have beautiful faces for makeup - very spacious eyelids and cheekbones galore. Her name gets thrown about a ton, but Lisa Eldridge has some great videos on applying makeup.
    I don't know if it's a lighting issue but some of these peaches and cream complexioned ladies, including Pixiwoo have amazing skin but insist on applying foundation that's too yellow for them and makes them look pasty and almost ill. You'd think THEY would know how to match foundation or leave it out as unnecessary. But no. Luckily for me I have the Mediterranean yellow undertones galore which makes the matching with the ubiquitous shade of yellow easy. Plus I don't use full on foundation, just BB cream diluted with luminizer.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 04-24-2014 at 07:53 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I gave up on those heat protector products awhile ago. They always make my hair greasy in a day or 2 and I need to wash my hair 2 times a week. Well now I do it 3 because I work out more.

Instead of those products I use macadamia or nut oil. Not pure, but those with silicones. Various companied make them and they are not expensive. Smallest packaging of 10ml lasts for almost 2 months, so maybe a month for those who wash their hair more often.
    Oh and - the hottest I use my heating iron/brush is 160 degrees celsius/320 Fahrenheit.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    Bought into the hype of Dior's new nailpolishes--that's my one addiction. Supposedly, this new product is just as shiny and durable as gel but comes off easily like a nail polish. Hmmm....going to give it a whirl and back it goes if it displays even a hint of a chip or scratch under a week because at this price it better be out of this world. Got the color Rouge, classic.

Of course, Chanel's nail polishes are just as expensive and are some of the crappiest around. Streaks on application, chips almost immediately. Stay away.

I don't know if it's a lighting issue but some of these peaches and cream complexioned ladies, including Pixiwoo have amazing skin but insist on applying foundation that's too yellow for them and makes them look pasty and almost ill. You'd think THEY would know how to match foundation or leave it out as unnecessary. But no. Luckily for me I have the Mediterranean yellow undertones galore which makes the matching with the ubiquitous shade of yellow easy. Plus I don't use full on foundation, just BB cream diluted with luminizer.
    My favorite nail polishes are from Essie, Kiko, Rimmel, LCN (professional salon nail polish), turkish brand Golden Rose and Barry M.
    Not impressed with OPI, Dior, Chanel, China Glaze, Ciate or hyped up butter London.

about Pixiwoo sisters - they are big on foundation. They use was too much on camera, but I think they probably match themselves well but it looks different on camera. Camera and lighting tend to have a lot to do with. My friend is a photographer and she does makeup for her models. Some of the worst foundations in real life look AMAZING on camera.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks, kosjenka! I figured it could have been a lighting issue wrt foundation, but I think they should adjust from real life to filming, consult a pro. For instance, I've started watching From Head to Toes tutorials and that girl always gets it right.

Anyway, Dior claims this is a brand new product different from their usual line and from any other. We will see--the store will accept it back even if I use it and change my mind, no questions asked. I expect nothing short of what they advertise--shine and no chipping for at least a week with easy removal. I tested it in store on one nail just to see how it looks and it had good consistency and a very pretty color. Will see if the quality and durability claim holds.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    My favorite youtube person for teaching makeup is Lisa Eldridge. She is a true professional, has a good way of wxplaning things, her camera work and lighting is perfect and is not sponsored by any company. She has made some products, but she is clear about that and you can see why. Like one lip liner from No.7 - it is so universal yet so special.

She also collaborates with Chanel but does so on their channel and does not use their products not nearly as often as many others.

I like her philosophy of makeup and skincare. You will never see her with tons of foundation, in fact - she uses as little as she can get away with.

Many of "gurus" are very much in the pockets of their affiliates. Also I am not into makeup channels turning "lifestyle" coaching. It is very annoying...

For instance, I watch essibutton not for her makeup skills (they are just fine) but because she has a certain something and we have similar taste and similar stuff available in stores. She also has a lovely life but is not bragging or putting the walls of some "fairytale".

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh so you wouldn't be into Alicia Silverstone's Juice Beauty: http://www.popsugar.com/Alicia-Silve...Video-23204943

She is my new most worthy celeb after I read this article http://news.yahoo.com/clueless-cluel...-politics.html which I am cross-posting from SS, so you know what kind of mentality she is bringing into Juice Beauty.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    *perks up* Oooh, let me know how it is! Nail polish seems to be my addiction this year. I've been picking up a lot of Deborah Lippmann's crazier colors.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Nail polish... LOVE nail polish. My favorite is Essie. I've been wearing Resort Fling from their 2014 Resort collection all week and it's only faded on the tips, no cracks or chipping. This is without basecoat and topcoat! I really like Essie polishes.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    Nail polish is my thing.
    I have 117 of them in drawer and I'm constantly looking for more.
    I haven't yet committed to buying the more expensive stuff, like Chanel or Dior even though the colors seem to be great.

For now, I'm replacing my go-to colors with OPI, as they are much better than the national brands. I live for Jade is the New Black (three years too late...).
    This describes me to a tee.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post

I live for Jade is the New Black (three years too late...).
    This describes me to a tee.
    I have Jade is the New Black. And love that picture, so true!

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I am now tempted to show you my nail polish rack

Brother is off to German. Gave him the list of MAC lipsticks. Last time I wrote down 7 and the last one on the list was the only one they had in stock. It is the amazing Pro lip cream in Good to go

He buys me makeup, I buy him beer mugs

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Lets see you nail polish collection! I can't believe they don't have MAC lipstick in stock. Hope you get your hands on them--do they have Sephora in Europe?

Did my nails today with the Dior nail polish and gel top coat. Very nice product, good brush, color, dries quickly, looks good. Now lets see how long it lasts.

I only own two MAC lipsticks. Bare Again and See Sheer. The latter looks a bit too orangey on me so I top it with Chanel lipgloss in Giggle.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I need to tidy up the mess of my nail-polishes and I will take a picture and expose it on FSU. You can all see how mental I can be.

With MAC in Europe - beside it is much much more expensive than in USA, it is still sold very well. We dont have it in Croatia because we are too small of a market, but women buy it in Austria, Italy, Hungary.
    MAC is not sold in Sephora here. German chain Douglas has it, but not the one in Croatia. When I was in Rome I became friends with one the makeup artists there. He asked me to come be a model on a seminar session because of my pale complexion. Apparently they couldn't find an italian girl paler than NC20. They later matched me with N10. Bwahahaha
    Too bad in Italy pale complexion is considered sickly.

See Sheer is one of the lipsticks on my list. I love those orange-peach shades. Since I have pale neutral complexion - practically all tones suit me well. I think I am in raspberry mood today.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Lucky you! I am convinced that I can carry off just a few shades of lipstick: nude, berry and soft coral (which is what I get with See Sheer and Giggle on top). The end. Guess saves me some (that I proceed to spend on nail polish )

Being in Europe, I am sure it's relatively easy to travel and stock up while you are enjoying another country! Don't the European Sephora or MAC websites ship to Croatia? MAC has great lipsticks but the brand I have the most of is Benefit. From left to right: Lady's Choice, Fair Game and La La Land. Love them all. Talk about similar but different. I also wear Do Tell but that's pushing it for me.

They really are quite different on and feel really nice on the lips. Do you have access to these? Although with your complexion, you'd probably have to go for other colors, like Pinking of You. Can't find a good photo of this but it seems to be a nice pink for a fair complexion. Another excellent peach/coral is Bare Escentuals Moxie Party Starter lipgloss. Check them out, if you can.

I have that Mediterranean olive complexion they were trying to get away from in Italy when they wanted you to model their product. Here in California, I was chased around the counter by a visiting MAC make up artist just the other week, apparently because I have a great face for make up. He was like: you don't have to buy anything, I just want to work with you. Aha, right. Plus, I had to pick up my son from school.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 04-28-2014 at 11:08 AM.

from Speedy Death

Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast