Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Princess Glee (TM)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    The definitive text on perfume. I really respect his opinion and to be honest, was very pleased that he considers my go-to perfume, Lolita Lempicka, a masterpiece.

Cuir de Russie, eh? What a great name.

The link above shows No.22. Anyone ever tried it? Doesn't sound like anything I would wear, not the layers of tulle or shower of petals kind of woman but I am curious if it's a well-made composition like the No.19.
    The first word that comes to mind when describing No. 22 is "shimmering"; unlike No. 19, which has a very clean, almost metallic edge, No. 22 is soft, radiant and unmistakably floral but neither cloying or insipid.

If you're not into sweet florals, then you might find Coromandel more interesting; not sure if many ladies would go for it, as it's a more assertive and masculine fragrance, and perfect for winter.
    Men and I are like pianos - when they get upright, I feel grand!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks, I like the way you describe perfume, very impressionist. I am generally not into sweet florals, rather sweet and spicy gourmands like Lolita Lempicka. No.19 is the only Chanel I'd consider wearing (heartless!) but I do appreciate a well-composed fragrance even if it's not for me. Going to look up Coromandel now.

Have you tried Hermes Ambre Narguile--I am nuts about it. I smelled it and the word Morocco popped into my head immediately.

http://usa.hermes.com/perfumes/herme...-narguile.html

Jean-Claude Ellena is the god of perfume making.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Princess Glee (TM)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Thanks, I like the way you describe perfume, very impressionist. I am generally not into sweet florals, rather sweet and spicy gourmands like Lolita Lempicka. No.19 is the only Chanel I'd consider wearing (heartless!) but I do appreciate a well-composed fragrance even if it's not for me. Going to look up Coromandel now.

Have you tried Hermes Ambre Narguile--I am nuts about it. I smelled it and the word Morocco popped into my head immediately.

http://usa.hermes.com/perfumes/herme...-narguile.html

Jean-Claude Ellena is the god of perfume making.
    Unfortunately not, but it sounds intriguing. I might check out the Hermes boutique this weekend to see if they stock it.

If you like florientals then you might like Portrait Of A Lady by Dominique Ropion for Frederic Malle. Jean-Claude Ellena has also created a few fragrances for the same brand.

Another spicy floral that comes to mind is Ta'if by Ormonde Jayne.

Princess Glee (TM)
    vCash
    IceAlisa: Forgot to mention another fragrance that might interest you - Volutes by Diptyque. The description on the official website isn't very informative, but this one gives you a much better idea of what it's like:

"Raw addiction in a fragrance created from tobacco. A unique amber signature, a combination of softness, warmth and aromatic notes. A richer and more contrasted interpretation of tobacco, which enhances the spicy tones in the fragrance: the strength of Madagascar Pepper, the invigorating freshness of Pink Peppercorns. A search for intensity that is underpinned by the powdery, woody finesse of Oriss, the honeyed aromatic character of Everlasting flower and the balmy, leathery warmth of styrax."

I'm generally not a fan of tobacco, but the word that sums up Volutes is "intoxicating". It's also available in EDT, but that smells weirdly medicinal on me, whereas the EDP is totally transcendent.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    A friend of mine loves rose-based fragrances, Ta'if may be up her alley. The description reminds me of Elle by YSL.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    oh my, i want to go perfume shopping with mikey if only to hear him describe them
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I know, mlp!

Thanks for the recommendation, michaelsfan!

The tobacco in Ambre Narguile is quite prominent. This is what I picture when I smell it--a bar where expensive tobacco has been smoked, a fine leather jacket, cinnamon and dried apricots. Genius.

from Speedy Death

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Alright, concealer-seeking glamour pusses! I have discovered Benefit's Boi-ing (in 3 for me) and Ooh La Lift are a perfect combo for my quite significant under eye circles. Check'em out.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    @Ice Alisa, have you tried using just a corrector? In my opinion is the BEST way to conceal under eye circles. Correctors are peach or orange base that counteracts the blue in the undereye circles.

I've been using Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer for a few weeks I really like it. It is a self-setting concealer. I have a color that is I use as a corrector.
    Previously I used Bobbi Brown Corrector and Concealer which I like the best.

I bought some products from the Marc Jacobs line at Sephora. Very good foundation and mascara.
    Last edited by topaz; 09-25-2013 at 08:28 PM.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    I wish I could wear stuff that would conceal my under-eye circles, but I have such massive bags with wrinkles (thanks, genetics!) it doesn't really help much at all. I also wish I could find a decent foundation. No matter what it is, or what type it is, my skin on my chin and nose flake when I wear it, even when I've just used some moisturizer.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i think you need either a primer or a silicone based serum under your makeup

and if you arent already exfoliating, an enzyme based exfoliator
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I've been using the Fructis firming eye cream during the day and the firming moisturizer at night. My skin looks amazing. The only time my fine lines show up is in direct sunlight and I don't really go into the sunlight much since my last bout with skin cancer, so it's all good.

So if anyone is looking for low cost stuff, I highly recommend this stuff. I buy it at Target and sometimes it's on sale.

eta: Lanie, have you tried a CC cream? I can't use them because my skin is so oily, but they might work for you.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    @Ice Alisa, have you tried using just a corrector? In my opinion is the BEST way to conceal under eye circles. Correctors are peach or orange base that counteracts the blue in the undereye circles.

I've been using Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer for a few weeks I really like it. It is a self-setting concealer. I have a color that is I use as a corrector.
    Previously I used Bobbi Brown Corrector and Concealer which I like the best.

I bought some products from the Marc Jacobs line at Sephora. Very good foundation and mascara.
    I've tried the Bobbi Brown Corrector, doesn't work for me. But I do have several concealers that do, including Colorescience Corrector Kit, Boi-ing and the Korres concealer in a pot, what's-its-name.

In other GP news, I was given a full-sized Dior BB cream only to give it right back--can't deal with the smell in Dior skin care products.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Speaking of discoveries, Sephora sales ladies told me about camerareadycosmetics.com when they agreed that even the foundations recommended by their machine didn't completely match me. I ordered some samples and fell in love with Mehron's cream foundation. I have to order both MD1 and Eurasia Japonais and mix both to match, but match it does! I've been using it for a few months now and was able to adjust it to match my tan. Now that I'm not as tanned I just use a bit more of the EJ and less MD1. I was afraid of the cream at first, thought it would look to cakey but using it sparingly with a flat top brush gives it a sheer tinted moisturizer look. I'm also able to use EJ as my under-eye concealer. I also like Cinema Secet's foundation.

I'm still looking for THE face powder. I like Cargo Blu-Ray but I'm between 2 shades (story of my life). MAC's NC42 is a pretty good match so I might be stuck with that. I guess I'll have to try some of Mehron's.

Also, has anyone here tried Ben Nye's Banana Powder? Is that supposed to set just concealer or be used as overall powder?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    Speaking of discoveries, Sephora sales ladies told me about camerareadycosmetics.com when they agreed that even the foundations recommended by their machine didn't completely match me. I ordered some samples and fell in love with Mehron's cream foundation. I have to order both MD1 and Eurasia Japonais and mix both to match, but match it does! I've been using it for a few months now and was able to adjust it to match my tan. Now that I'm not as tanned I just use a bit more of the EJ and less MD1. I was afraid of the cream at first, thought it would look to cakey but using it sparingly with a flat top brush gives it a sheer tinted moisturizer look. I'm also able to use EJ as my under-eye concealer. I also like Cinema Secet's foundation.

I'm still looking for THE face powder. I like Cargo Blu-Ray but I'm between 2 shades (story of my life). MAC's NC42 is a pretty good match so I might be stuck with that. I guess I'll have to try some of Mehron's.

Also, has anyone here tried Ben Nye's Banana Powder? Is that supposed to set just concealer or be used as overall powder?
    I've heard excellent things about Ben Nye's Powders in general. They are very affordable and you get a lot of product. I've seen it used most as a setting powder for concealer or used to highlight cheeks, under eye and forehead. The luxury powders are used more for highlighting and the translucent powders are used more as setting powders. The sifter top is a bit of a hassle but overall I say go for it.

I have dry to normal skin and I don't really use face powder that much anymore. I'll use it to set cream concealer or when I wear some cream foundations. I like the dewy or satin finish of my foundations. Sometimes I'll use Make Up Forever's Mist & Fix as a setting spray on some foundations. I use primer with all my foundations, so they last anywhere from 8 to 10 hours.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I wish I could wear stuff that would conceal my under-eye circles, but I have such massive bags with wrinkles (thanks, genetics!) it doesn't really help much at all. I also wish I could find a decent foundation. No matter what it is, or what type it is, my skin on my chin and nose flake when I wear it, even when I've just used some moisturizer.
    Lanie: are you sure that the skin flaking is a cosmetic issue? I used to have a similar problem (my nose flaked like crazy when under stress) until I started getting more omega-3s.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    I am in five million depressions right now -- Despite extremely positive reviews by skin care professionals and on numerous cosmetic and skin care websites, the company c. booth skin care, in all their boneheaded wisdom, has discontinued their Derma 36 Glycolic Acid Skin Resurfacing Solution .

I've been using this twice a month for the past two years, and it's done wonders reducing some of the acne scarring I have incurred as an adult. On top of that, at $14.95 per bottle, it was extremely cost-effective when compared to the majority of similar products that cost a friggin' fortune. I've scoured the Internet, and no one has it anymore -- not Amazon, not eBay, no one .

Due to my aspirin allergy, I'm unable to use skincare products that contain salicylic acid, which definitely limits a lot of my choices.

Can any of our resident gurus recommend another glycolic facial peel or mask (or a similar type of product) that won't break the bank? I already spend a huge chunk of change on Lancome's Visionnaire and Genifique, neither of which I will give up using as the results from those two products are worth their weight in diamonds (or alexandrite, demantoid garnets, or the precious stone of your choice ), so for other products, I try to find the best bang for my buck.

vCash
    I feel your pain. When Pantene discontinued their texturizing spray, I nearly went into a meltdown. I have two bottles left and not sure what I will do when it's gone.

I gave the wrong name earlier for the eye and face stuff I've been using. It's Garnier. They are awesome.

vCash
    Having directed high school drama and used Ben Nye on kids for stage, I cannot imagine using it for normal daily make up. Yikes!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    I just got this and I love it. I didn't find a flawless match (right shade is a tiny bit too pink), but it's good for both undereyes and acne spots. Very high pigmentation so you only need a teensy bit - it'll last forever which is excellent considering the price

Cyn, have you tried Alpha Hydrox products? They make 10% glycolic acid. Not sure about masks/scrubs but I really like their AHA souffle.

Also do you have a makeup alley account that's open for swapping? I found someone who has your C. Booth product: http://www.makeupalley.com/swap/detail.asp/sid=8251258/

Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast