Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Cyn!!! Great to see (read) you!!! I've asked this question before and will probably go to my grave without a good answer. I want to know who out there loves Chanel No.5 so much that a bottle is sold every 5 minutes or so. It's still the world's best selling fragrance. I. JUST. DON'T. GET IT!!!

IMO it's the consummate Eau de Old Lady. Someone who gets it, please explain it to me. I appreciate No.19 although it's not really me but I like the composition. No.5 baffles me.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I used to wear Chanel No. 5 because it smelled really nice on me. It does not any more. I had to give up Angel for the same reason.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I loved Chanel 5 as a child and young woman and waited for the day I would be grownup enough (and rich enough) to wear it. Now of course it also smells like the 1950s to me and I don't go near it. Probably because it's been around so long we all associate it with our mothers?

Angel I liked once, in the bottle. I sprayed a bit on for a test drive and went to walk around the mall. Oh did I NOT like how it settled. And I swear I had to scrub my wrists with hospital soap to get that smell off me.

When I smell Shalimar I think, Aunt Rae, you're here! Never mind you died when I was a teenager, you're HERE! It's better than a Ouija board.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Memory and scent-processing pathways either overlap or run very close together in the human brain. So no surprise there.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Cyn!!! Great to see (read) you!!! I've asked this question before and will probably go to my grave without a good answer. I want to know who out there loves Chanel No.5 so much that a bottle is sold every 5 minutes or so. It's still the world's best selling fragrance. I. JUST. DON'T. GET IT!!!

IMO it's the consummate Eau de Old Lady. Someone who gets it, please explain it to me. I appreciate No.19 although it's not really me but I like the composition. No.5 baffles me.
    That makes two of us (if not more as surely there are many closet #5 haterz out there ). I find the stuff to be absolutely vile beyond words .

Chanel #19, however....all I can say/do is . If there is a Heaven up there somewhere, I'm convinced that its flowers smell like #19. Unfortunately, given my budget as of late, it's way out of my price range , so I have to suffice with relying on my memory to conjure up the scent.

Sadly, none of the department stores here carry it, so they don't have any Chanel #19 VOCs (vials-on-card), nor do they have any tester bottles of it . My fantasy birthday/Hanukkah/Xmas gift is this gem:

Swoon

In addition to the fragrance itself, I adore the shape of the phial itself, which is done in the classic Chanel cut-glass design, except that it is a spray rather than with a stopper.

For ten years now, I've had that on my gift wish-list, and for ten years, it has been ignored or omitted in favor of, well, anything else .

Anti-Aging update:

I've been using both the Génifique and Visionnaire (by Lancôme) under my serums and moisturizers now for about a year, and the difference and improved quality of my skin is freaking un-be-lievable . Not only have the fine lines/beginning of crow's feet/brow furrows reduced dramatically, my skin tone and overall look to it has, I shit you not, made it look about 10-15 years younger. My face, especially my cheeks, has a rich, springy quality to it, and it has a nice glow to it -- I've had a couple of people ask me if I'm in a new-found love affair (I guess because I have that "look/quality" to it that people have when they're in that "dancing on top of the world" aura that occurs in the beginning of a relationship .

Now, if only I had the relationship to go with that look .

Fragrance update:

Over the winter, I was completely infatuated with Armani's "Acqua Di Gioia" (not to be confused with Armani's "Aqua di Gio"), and I wore it day in and day out until I became sick of it. I still think it's a great fragrance; I'm just burnt out on wearing it.

Right now, I'm wearing Lauder's "Pure White Linen LIGHT BREEZE" (as opposed to Lauder's classic Pure White Linen) and I FLOVE it (and get compliments on it all the time). It's a wonderfully clean, light, botanical fragrance that goes with just about anything except formal wear. It's perfect whether you're wearing shorts and a tank top, a sundress, or work clothes, and as far as perfumes go, it's not outrageously expensive (1.0 ounces/$52.00 USD, 1.7 ounces/$60.00 USD, and 3.4 ounces/$80.00 USD), and has good lasting power, so it's a lot of bang for your buck.

Surprisingly, I've also found a fragrance by Lancôme that I like, which is a major shocker for me. Most of their perfumes smell like "old lady steamer trunk" that none of my grandmothers or great-grandmothers would be caught wearing dead or alive, so this was a major shocker for me. The name of it is "La Vie Est Belle," and it's a soft, subtle fragrance. According to the page for it on Fragrantica, the top notes are black currant and pear, the middle (the heart) is iris, orange blossom, and jasmine, and the base is vanilla, patchouli, praline, and tonka bean. If I were to go strictly from the list of the notes alone, there's no way in hell I'd have found it appealing, but the expertise in which the creators took in creating this resulted in a marvelous fragrance that is sophisticated yet youthful, noticeable without being overtly so, and feminine without being too "girly."

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Fragrance-wise I am the most faithful person if you count serial monogamy. I will always love Lolita Lempicka The Original but this is a cold weather fragrance, which, given our climate, I will be wearing again shortly.

For now I've been wearing a lot of Guerlain's La Petite Robe Noire. In fact, my bottle is empty. I squeezed out the last few drops this morning. Good thing my cousin got my back and I have a brand new sealed bottle waiting.

For my upcoming beach vacation, I am planning to wear the genius creation by Jean-Claude Ellena, Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, which you, my dear Cyn might like as it is clean and botanical and the only perfume that I like in hot weather. It's simply brilliant. Check it out and add that to that wish list! No.19 for winter and Un Jardin Sur Le Nil for summer!

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Fragrance-wise I am the most faithful person if you count serial monogamy. I will always love Lolita Lempicka The Original but this is a cold weather fragrance, which, given our climate, I will be wearing again shortly.

For now I've been wearing a lot of Guerlain's La Petite Robe Noire. In fact, my bottle is empty. I squeezed out the last few drops this morning. Good thing my cousin got my back and I have a brand new sealed bottle waiting.

For my upcoming beach vacation, I am planning to wear the genius creation by Jean-Claude Ellena, Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, which you, my dear Cyn might like as it is clean and botanical and the only perfume that I like in hot weather. It's simply brilliant. Check it out and add that to that wish list! No.19 for winter and Un Jardin Sur Le Nil for summer!

You're way, way more sophisticated and knowledgable than I am when it comes to fragrances -- I've never heard of the scents you listed above . I need to get edgumacated on parfumes, eau de parfum/toilettes, colognes, and the like so that I can try and keep up with you; at this point, you're my Sage of Scents .

What is the name of that book you have that details parfums with descriptions, fragrance notes, reviews, etc.? That's one I'd definitely like to add to my library.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    DA BOOK!! Wait til you read their review of No.19. PML!

from Speedy Death

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    One if the most fascinating books I've ever read. You learn a lot about the science and business of perfume, and the writing is great. Definitely recommend.

vCash
    No one has posted in the while but the Fall 2013 collections are out.

My favorites so far are Dior's Mystic Metallics and Armani.

I've bought both the Dior Eye Shadow palettes(Bonne EToille and Constellations) and Dior Addict Gloss in Ensorceiante. The quality is outstanding as are the colors. I'll post some photos soon.

I've purchased some of the Nars and MAC Indulge Collection. Nars has two really good eye shadow palettes, some single shadows, lip products and the new cream compact foundation. I bought the Ride up the moom eye shadow palette, Bavaria single shadow, La Paz Matte Lipstick and Mysterious Red Matte Pencil. I don't usually like matte lip products, they are just too drying for me and I don't like they way they make my lips too.

Marc Jacobs released a beauty line at sephora. There are some really good products in the line. I like the MARC JACOBS Genius Gel Super-Charged Foundation and the mascara is super. The mascara is a shiny black, one of the blackest mascaras I've used.
    Plus Armani release their Rouge Ecstasy Lip sticks which I will be ordering soon.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    my new favorite thing is this laura geller eye spackle hue, because i have always been hard on eye makeup, it runs all over

http://www.laurageller.com/store/eye...e-spackle-hues

not anymore, this is like a tattoo, and it doesnt crease or anything. and for me and southpaw, most of the colors are just trying to make you look awake and well rested.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Chanel No 5 is popular because husbands, boyfriends, and sons buy it as they don't know any better.
    What would Jenny do?

Princess Glee (TM)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    One if the most fascinating books I've ever read. You learn a lot about the science and business of perfume, and the writing is great. Definitely recommend.
    ITA. Some of the reviews are absolutely hilarious and there is a lot of information to be gleaned from the sections preceeding the reviews.

As for Chanel, I prefer the Les Exclusifs de Chanel range - my favourites are 31 Rue Cambon, Cuir de Russie and Bois des Iles.

The description of these fragrances on the website doesn't do them justice so this is where 'Perfumes: The Guide' comes in very handy.
    Last edited by michaelfsfan; 08-28-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Men and I are like pianos - when they get upright, I feel grand!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    my new favorite thing is this laura geller eye spackle hue, because i have always been hard on eye makeup, it runs all over

http://www.laurageller.com/store/eye...e-spackle-hues

not anymore, this is like a tattoo, and it doesnt crease or anything. and for me and southpaw, most of the colors are just trying to make you look awake and well rested.
    Thanks for this. I'm another one that is hard on eyeshadows. I'll have to give this a try.

Does it feel wet going on your eyelids?
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Chanel No 5 is popular because husbands, boyfriends, and sons buy it as they don't know any better.
    My mom lurves Chanel No5...
    I indulge her in it because it's so much better than the Rumba she used to bathe herself with when I was a child
    She also lurrrrves Eau de Soir (since I'm the one who buys perfume, when I travel to Uruguay, this one has "vanished" from the stores... )
    I gave her Kenzo Amour last time, and she loved it.

My last perfume purchases were Lady Million (very strong, night perfume only) and Armani Diamonds (loving it).

And I got started on Visionnaire. So far, I still like Génifique better, specially combining it with the night cream.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
    I indulge her in it because it's so much better than the Rumba she used to bathe herself with when I was a child
    She also lurrrrves Eau de Soir (since I'm the one who buys perfume, when I travel to Uruguay, this one has "vanished" from the stores... )
    I gave her Kenzo Amour last time, and she loved it.

My last perfume purchases were Lady Million (very strong, night perfume only) and Armani Diamonds (loving it).

And I got started on Visionnaire. So far, I still like Génifique better, specially combining it with the night cream.
    Kenzo Amour I love Kenzo Flower too. Good stuff.

I use the Genifique in the morning and the Visionnaire at night. Try that.

vCash
    I haven't liked too many Chanel perfumes however, I do like the Chanel Coco Noir perfume.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post

Where were you a couple of years ago? My former neighbor gave me a huge, frickin' bottle of Eau de Soir, and I could not *stand* the stuff. I'd have gladly shipped it to you had I known.

RE: Visionnaire -- give it a few weeks and you will be stunned at the improved difference in your skin. Combined with the Génefique, it's a fantastic one-two punch on the Aging Monster.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelfsfan View Post
    ITA. Some of the reviews are absolutely hilarious and there is a lot of information to be gleaned from the sections preceeding the reviews.

As for Chanel, I prefer the Les Exclusifs de Chanel range - my favourites are 31 Rue Cambon, Cuir de Russie and Bois des Iles.

The description of these fragrances on the website doesn't do them justice so this is where 'Perfumes: The Guide' comes in very handy.
    The definitive text on perfume. I really respect his opinion and to be honest, was very pleased that he considers my go-to perfume, Lolita Lempicka, a masterpiece.

Cuir de Russie, eh? What a great name.

The link above shows No.22. Anyone ever tried it? Doesn't sound like anything I would wear, not the layers of tulle or shower of petals kind of woman but I am curious if it's a well-made composition like the No.19.

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skategal View Post
    Thanks for this. I'm another one that is hard on eyeshadows. I'll have to give this a try.

Does it feel wet going on your eyelids?
    i just went and put some on for scientific accuracy. not particularly. not as much as say a concealer in a click pen like touche eclat.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast