Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    snarking for AZE
    vCash
    aw, that sounds uncomfortable
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    The only shoes I've been able to wear for the past two months are flip flops, and they're all I'll be able to wear until I lose my pregnancy swelling.
    That's different! I had to wear really ugly shoes for five months with plantar fasciitis, I had one pair of decent shoes for somewhat dress-up, but you don't lose points for medical reasons.

The only shorts I own are for working out. I gave up years ago. I have good legs, but the combination of thin legs and pot belly is lousy for shorts. On hot days I wear little cotton skirts instead.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Can I add "the way my in-laws dress for events" to the hate list? We've got one coming up so it is on my mind. My husband's grandfather, as he did at this time last year, has rented the party room of a restaurant for a special dinner to celebrate the plethora of June events Father's Day, his wife's b-day, my FiL's b-day, MiL's brother's b-day, and our wedding anniversary. He did this last year, too. I wore a jersey knit skirt and an embellished tank top last year. Husband wore khakis and a polo shirt. He was later asked why we were "over dressed". Fair question as, while his grandparents were dressed nicely, his dad had on Harley gear, his mother had on shorts with paint stains, a graphic t-shirt and Birkenstocks and his sister had on yoga pants, flip-flops and a graphic t-shirt with grass stains. His uncle wore a football jersey and cut-offs, and his aunt had on cotton shorts approximately four sizes too big and a hooded sweatshirt that may have been six sizes too big.

I have no idea what to wear this year. I refuse to dress like I am doing lawn work to go into a restaurant. For some reason, my parents-in-law and sister-in-law--who can sometimes dress appropriately--dress like homeless people whenever they are around mother-in-law's extended family.
    My shopaholic aunt has some questionable fashion choices, which is the biggest reason why we don't let her shop for us if we can help it. She showed up at my wedding in a light blue, frilly knee-length dress with a HUGE bow right in the middle of her waist. Let's just say...my mother is the sibling that has stayed exactly the same size after menopause, not her.

I didn't mind really, since it was SO her. It was just a rather befuddling fashion choice, even considering how she usually is! My best friend christened it a "tutu."

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I don't own a single pair.

Thanks, PRLady, great word.
    I still own a few pairs of shorts, but barely wear them. I work in a lab, so if it's hot, the only choice is capris or knee-length skirt. I did wear a skirt to work a few weeks ago when it was pushing 90F here, and my coworker commented, "You're dressed up today!" My reply was, "It's too hot to wear pants."

I HAVE noticed that the skirts and dresses have gotten VERY short lately! I certainly couldn't pull it off, not without flashing everybody! Then I noticed to my bemusement, that most of the women wearing such things have fairly large thighs, so they'd have to spread their legs a lot further than I have to, in order to properly flash someone while sitting or stooping down.

INTJ
    vCash
    Love: nail polish, heels, skinny jeans

Hate: Unnecessary frills, flounces, and embellishment.

Love but can't pull off: 50's style makeup, sheath-style dresses (I have a long torso and they never hit me at the right spot).
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    The only shoes I've been able to wear for the past two months are flip flops, and they're all I'll be able to wear until I lose my pregnancy swelling.
    I had a serious illness ten years ago and the meds caused my feet and ankles to swell. I could only wear flip flops for awhile, too. And be glad it is cause you are pregnant. People can figure out why you are wearing them. I'm guessing people just thought I'd lost my good taste in shoes.

Anita18--Eccentric or bad taste I could handle. But my in-laws dress like a crew of homeless landscapers when they get together.

vCash
    Love: dresses, nail polish, beaded jewelry, wedge heels, comfortable yet strappy sandals, swimsuits, tall boots, knitted cashmere/merino wool sweaters, hand-knitted lace anything, scarves that can be used as a scarf/shawl/swimsuit cover up, vintage rings, and last but not least, hot pink

Hate: box shaped clothing, skinny or thick Sharpie marker eyebrows, cage sandals, spiky studs you see on everything now

Love but can't pull off: skinny jeans, sky high heels, bright multi-colored eye make-up techniques, bermuda shorts

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Well, thanks for that mental image, Anita18.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Well, thanks for that mental image, Anita18.
    You've thought it when you've seen it tooooo!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Boots. I forgot that I love good leather boots, with or without heels. I even have a pair that can go over the knee although I fold them down because I'm not brave enough to wear them that way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Boots. I forgot that I love good leather boots, with or without heels. I even have a pair that can go over the knee although I fold them down because I'm not brave enough to wear them that way.
    Ooh...I forgot boots, too. I started wearing my over the knee pair without folding them down last winter. People began noticing how fabulous they are, so just do it!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i dont fold my over the knee boots, if i did i would look like adam ant circa prince charming
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i dont fold my over the knee boots, if i did i would look like adam ant circa prince charming
    I'm a lot taller than you and the boots look fine folded over, not too "swashbuckling" if you get my drift.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    im not adding leg thickness by folding tyvm. i can generate my own.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think this is sensible advice for once, on make up/hair/accessory choices that can make you look older. Yahoo isn't exactly famous for good lifestyle pieces but this one makes sense: http://shine.yahoo.com/video/thread-...230000085.html
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    And this is to make you all scream: a new line of clothing for Orthodox women who need to cover almost everything. I realize the fashion challenges but these clothes are beyond hideous: http://www.dellasuza.com/

vCash
    I think this is sensible advice for once, on make up/hair/accessory choices that can make you look older. Yahoo isn't exactly famous for good lifestyle pieces but this one makes sense: http://shine.yahoo.com/video/thread-...230000085.html
    There seemed to be some good advice, but the main lesson seems to be that not smiling will make you look older

Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    And this is to make you all scream: a new line of clothing for Orthodox women who need to cover almost everything. I realize the fashion challenges but these clothes are beyond hideous: http://www.dellasuza.com/
    I've seen a lot of very well-dressed orthodox and ultraorthodox women, so there really is no excuse for this.

Has there ever been a Project Runway challenge for modest clothing?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    The Orthodox preschool where Mini Ice went had some young teachers who solved the problem of covering up by wearing uber tight turtlenecks and long, tight denim skirts. Guess what? Little was left to imagination. Most of them looked very good. Kudos to them for sidestepping the rules.

But this WILL make you scream.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I was gonna wear the cat ones to Nationals.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Wear this instead.

Speaking of modest clothing, isn't there an uber fabulous, mostly covered up Sheikha who looks stunning and sexy all the time? Being covered doesn't mean looking dowdy as these young Orthodox girls and the Sheikha know very well. Sadly, the latest photos of the Sheikha reveal that she has discovered facial fillers and is overdoing them.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/213727/SHEIKHA-MOZAH.jpg I have nothing against them but you have to use them judiciously.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 06-12-2013 at 06:48 AM.

from Speedy Death

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Name the things that you love/hate/love but can't pull off in fashion/makeup trends, anything glamour puss.
    Love: Chandelier earrings, mascara, colored lip gloss that isn't sticky, botanical/clean-smeling fragrances, boots (the "high on the calf" kind" with medium heels), knee-length or longer skirts, matte shadows (for the lid and brow), eyebrow pencils, anti-aging products (LURVE them), simple, elegant jewelry, false eyelashes, powder foundation (esp. Dual Finish), hats (I was blessed with a head on which most if not all hats look good), scarves, eye and lip pencils, Prescriptives Magic Powder (this stuff WORKS MIRACLES), comfy leggings with a long sweater, military-inspired clothing, jewelry from the Art-Deco period, comfy jeans with straight legs (no boot cut or tapered, TYVM), my ancient denim jacket (along with my ancient brown leather bomber jacket),

Hate: mule sandals, thong sandals (cannot stand having anything between my toes), ankle boots, mini-skirts, red, red lipsticks, frosted shadows in light colors, Chanel No. 5 (or Coco, or Chance), most male colognes, AXE body spray , socks with sandals, shirts/dresses with only one sleeve, shoulder pads (I already look like a linebacker without them), short-short hair on women, heavily applied foundation/shadow/blush, hair that's sprayed to the point that football could bounce off of it, my natural hair color (it was lovely as a baby and child, but over time it's turned a mousy color), my big boobs that require a crane to hold them up, bronzer (w/ my skin tone, all it does is turn me orange), high-waisted pants, panty-hose, heavy perfumes that have that "old-lady smell" (see Chanel No. 5), bold print or stripes (IMO they look like someone shot their couch or bedspread), stirrup pants, thongs,

Love but can't pull off: chunky jewelry, plunging necklines, ballet flats (with my wide feet, they look like Minnie Mouse's ), any kind of top that can't be worn with a bra, overly bright or too-dark nail polish, liquid foundation, high heels (stiletto or chunky heels), lined slacks, mini-dresses, long hair (seeing as how mine's so thin simply ponytails look ridiculous), mineral foundation (and those stupid kits) -- on me, all they do is look fake and muddy, empire-cut dresses or tops, skinny jeans (since I'm not skinny and they make my butt look like a drive-in movie screen - before I gained all this weight I loved them),

....And that's just getting started .

Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast