Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    If you use a super strong hairspray like that, and you're wearing a veil, be careful when you sit down. If you sit on it, you'll practically rip your scalp off! I've seen seen it happen.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    This woman is a bit odd, but she says her curls last in the rain her hair is really long, and she's wearing two gloves for safety:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3iYanwIMzs

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    From what I've been reading, doing Anita18's uncooperative hair without pro help sounds like a nightmare unless you just want to let them be natural without the curl. If you really want a curl/wave that looks nice, keeps its shape, is touchable, not sticky and stiff, I think it might be worthwhile to hire a stylist.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    You are going to need a lot of a really strong hairspray. There is one out there called "Glu" (or similar...it's in a yellow can) that is made to hold spikes, so it might work. But your hair is NOT going to move. At all.
    Yeah unfortunately I'm not going for anchorwoman hair either.

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    From what I've been reading, doing Anita18's uncooperative hair without pro help sounds like a nightmare unless you just want to let them be natural without the curl. If you really want a curl/wave that looks nice, keeps its shape, is touchable, not sticky and stiff, I think it might be worthwhile to hire a stylist.
    Yeah, I don't want it THAT badly. I think my mom was hoping I'd be able to do something with it, but if it won't work, it won't work. I'm mostly amused that it's this hard. Some people pay hundreds to get hair this straight, and I can't get it to change!

A good cut will probably be enough, and I have that planned at least.

And I'm certainly not having a tight French braid on my wedding day! French braid is my mom's go-to "formal" style and I always always hated the way my face looks with my hair so tightly back.

vCash
    Ok, I had about 3/4 inch of roots showing and couldn't stand it anymore so I bleach bathed my hair and I am now a mix of purple/burgundy/magenta. The mix was unintentional. I mixed some purple and hot pink in the conditioner in an attempt to make a raspberry color and it did look raspberry in the container but since the lengths of my hair had a mix of hot pink and reddish pink in it, it turned into all different shades of purple. I don't mind, I like it and I might go completely purple the next go around.

Now for the important part of this post... I need some help. I'm not sure if it's because of the time change (highly doubt it) but I've been so tired lately and I have noticed wrinkles starting to set it! EEK! Blech, I guess, I will be 37 soon so, whatever... Anyhoo, can you ladies recommend and treatment/cream/serum that will help with wrinkles? The ones that are really bugging me are the ones under my eyes.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Anita18, getting a good haircut sounds like a very good, stress-free option (given the haircut turns out well).

mhh, yes, that's the age that the work of the begins. Not whole lot you can do about wrinkles under the eye but for crows feet which are inevitable, there's one thing--Botox.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    Now for the important part of this post... I need some help. I'm not sure if it's because of the time change (highly doubt it) but I've been so tired lately and I have noticed wrinkles starting to set it! EEK! Blech, I guess, I will be 37 soon so, whatever... Anyhoo, can you ladies recommend and treatment/cream/serum that will help with wrinkles? The ones that are really bugging me are the ones under my eyes.
    In that picture, it looks mostly like the skin is darker and that's why it's showing up so much. It's so dark that it's reading like a shadow, and thus the lines will look more set in. A good concealer will probably do wonders.

vCash
    I'm scouring makeupalley, sephora, and ulta for undereye wrinkle treatments now. I guess I'll have to practice applying concealer, sigh. On a plus note: Physicians Formula Baked Bronzer in Baked Tan is a pretty good match for me, gives me a glow without looking muddy! I also purchased the Shimmer Strips, I'm hoping to be able to use it as bronzer, blush, and eyeshadow. We'll see...

vCash
    What are you looking at, myhoneyhoney? I really need some, though it's genetic so I doubt creams will help me. What I find helpful is putting a bit of white eye shadow by my tear duct, and some under my lower lids too.

vCash
    I'm looking at Sephora's list right now. It's difficult since everybody reacts differently to products. I plan on making a list of the top 6 and see if I can get samples.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    myhoney, a highlighter/light concealer should do the trick for you. Anita is right, they appear worse because they are darker.

As for anti-wrinkles, everyone should have one , not that we all need, and specially not you (really, looking at that picture, you look much, much younger than 36) I recommend serums. They are light, get absorbed really fast, and a lot of them give a lift and make the skin look better right away.

You do know we are partial to Génifique and Visionnaire around here, right?
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    Don't believe the camera never lies-Flaws that show up in digital are often not noticeable in person unless you look really close. You have some slight tired circles, nothing serious. BTW, I have the same eye makeup look.

vCash
    Why thank you, beepbeep. Yes, I'm eyeing Genifique and Visionnaire! Which one should I get? Do I need both? I'm a complete noob with these. I remember laughing at my Mom when she was researching and trying out different serums and creams many years ago. Boy, talk about having that come back to bite me, now she's laughing at ME!

vCash
    Has anyone had permanent makeup? I was thinking about doing it on the lips instead of getting injections. Only one person I contacted gave me a quote-$800.00 plus a $50.00 "consultation" fee, $125.00 for "anesthesia" (Lidocaine, which actual medical providers get reimbursed less than $10.00 for), and I would need to go to a doctor she reccommended for a prophylactic dose of Zovirax.

I figured the cost of equipment and supplies couldn't be more than $50.00, so that means a person who is a tattooist is making $375.00 per hour. (She said the procedure would take two) Seriously, she expects to be paid more than a highly skilled person like a doctor, lawyer, etc?

The others refused a quote, stating I had to come in, which means a high pressure sales person. I'm sure this is a skill, but does it really warrant that inflated fee?
    Last edited by leesaleesa; 03-17-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    So you don't think that someone who is going to tattoo you in the face should be highly skilled??
    Doesn't seem like the type of thing you'd want to be cheap with...

myhoneyhoney, both are really, really good. I'd try to get samples of both, to try it out, and then buy the full bottle.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    So you don't think that someone who is going to tattoo you in the face should be highly skilled??
    Doesn't seem like the type of thing you'd want to be cheap with...
    What is cheap? Do you really think it should cost over $1,000.00 for a tattoo? Yes, I balk at the idea of an esthitician/tatooist charging higher rates than a medical doctor.

Here is what she said she would do: Draw the lip in with a lipliner. She would then tattoo OVER the lip liner. That doesn't seem to me to be the best idea. I asked her why she would be doing that, and she said to make sure the line was straight. Um, for $375.00 per hour, shouldn't you be able to tattoo a clean line? I can't see how tattooing a cosmetic into your skin would be that sterile.
    Last edited by leesaleesa; 03-17-2013 at 04:02 PM.

INTJ
    vCash
    Good tattoos are expensive. Expertise is worth a lot to me when someone is permanently altering my body. I paid nearly 200 for a small tattoo and it was a relatively 'easy' tattoo.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    What is cheap? Do you really think it should cost over $1,000.00 for a tattoo? Yes, I balk at the idea of an esthitician/tatooist charging higher rates than a medical doctor.

Here is what she said she would do: Draw the lip in with a lipliner. She would then tattoo OVER the lip liner. That doesn't seem to me to be the best idea. I asked her why she would be doing that, and she said to make sure the line was straight. Um, for $375.00 per hour, shouldn't you be able to tattoo a clean line? I can't see how tattooing a cosmetic into your skin would be that sterile.
    Since you seem to know so much about it, why don't you just tattoo your own lip.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    A good tattoo costing $200.00 I have no objection to. It requires lining, shading, and the application of more than one color, unless you're going for something like a tribal design. I had lip liner tattooed years ago, and it didn't take the time and careful application of my other tattoos. It also didn't last, because the pigments used for cosmetics absorb much faster than traditional tattoos.

Perhaps I will learn the technique myself. The cost of the kit and lip training video is under $400.00. Maybe it would be a good side business-Get all the necessary certifications, perfect the technique, and charge a rate people can afford. The woman who did my lips is not in town anymore, but I recall that she did her own, and they looked nice. It's more than doable. I have hairdresser friends who could refer clients, and my own photography clients.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    Has anyone had permanent makeup? I was thinking about doing it on the lips instead of getting injections. Only one person I contacted gave me a quote-$800.00 plus a $50.00 "consultation" fee, $125.00 for "anesthesia" (Lidocaine, which actual medical providers get reimbursed less than $10.00 for), and I would need to go to a doctor she reccommended for a prophylactic dose of Zovirax.

I figured the cost of equipment and supplies couldn't be more than $50.00, so that means a person who is a tattooist is making $375.00 per hour. (She said the procedure would take two) Seriously, she expects to be paid more than a highly skilled person like a doctor, lawyer, etc?

The others refused a quote, stating I had to come in, which means a high pressure sales person. I'm sure this is a skill, but does it really warrant that inflated fee?
    Color on your lips (from regular or permanent makeup) doesn't make your lips physically bigger the way injections do...?

I never really got the concept about permanent makeup. I mean, I guess it's worth it if for example, you have to draw in your eyebrows every day because they are nonexistent. But permanent makeup eyebrows look fake anyway, so why bother?

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast