Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

vCash
    Anita, you might try scrunch spray. You can get it at the larger grocery stores (read not beauty supply). My daughter has pretty straight hair (not asian though). She likes that Aussie brand but I've seen lots that have extra hold. Wet hair plus diffuser or just "joosing" seems to give her lots of curl. Easier than the cone shaped curling iron ( have one of those, too).
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    I did see that. I don't think that'll EVER happen to me, unless I fall asleep with my hair curled around it! One of my experiments involved a ceramic curling wand, and I left it there longer than she did...and it still didn't take a curl. I must have the thickest hair strands known to man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Anita, you might try scrunch spray. You can get it at the larger grocery stores (read not beauty supply). My daughter has pretty straight hair (not asian though). She likes that Aussie brand but I've seen lots that have extra hold. Wet hair plus diffuser or just "joosing" seems to give her lots of curl. Easier than the cone shaped curling iron ( have one of those, too).
    Hmm I'm not aiming for beachy waves, but big loose curls on the lower half of my hair. Kinda like the way the Kween had her hair for her wedding day, although I think my hair will be longer. That's why I'm not just braiding it and sleeping in it.

I also had to Google "joosing" and....I'm pretty sure you don't mean that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Hey, Glamour Pusses, check out this video on make-up and skin care wasters.
    As I was watching the video I warily looked over at my desk, which currently has a pile of makeup and skincare products scattered everywhere. I need help.
    What she said about the moisturizer in jars make sense though. I always feel like my creams lose their effectiveness after a certain point if they're in a jar.

INTJ
    vCash
    Have you tried hot rollers, Anita? They'll work better than a curling iron.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    why dont you take the kween's pic to a salon and ask them to recreate it?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    Have you tried hot rollers, Anita? They'll work better than a curling iron.
    As if I haven't bought enough hair doohickeys! Are there any good brands/models I should check out?

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    why dont you take the kween's pic to a salon and ask them to recreate it?
    I'm actually doing my own hair the morning of. Because of that reason, I think the hot rollers would be less stressful - I'd set them in and then do other things, instead of having to wait during the curling process.

My coworker did suggest asking the salon about it when I got my hair cut.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i meant ahead of time. you could go to a salon ahead of time and see how they do it.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    As I was watching the video I warily looked over at my desk, which currently has a pile of makeup and skincare products scattered everywhere. I need help.
    What she said about the moisturizer in jars make sense though. I always feel like my creams lose their effectiveness after a certain point if they're in a jar.
    I don't worry about that. The creams I use are in dark glass, not see-through jars, I keep them in the medicine cabinet and go through them quickly. Another thing I don't necessarily agree with is eye cream. The skin around the eyes is different from the skin elsewhere, in that it's thinner and dryer. My eye cream is quite a bit richer than my face cream. I think if there is a big enough difference in the quality and needs of the skin, an eye cream is warranted. Agree with other things she said though.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    i take back my comment about me having the thickest hair strands known to man. I asked for hair curling advice on Offbeat Bride, and one woman reports that she actually leaves her hair in the curling iron for 4-5 minutes. That's what it takes to get her hair to curl. She's practiced enough to know this is what'll work for her wedding day, so she's done this multiple times. I don't think there's enough thermal protectants in the world that can prevent heat damage with that technique! Besides, going "no poo" and trying to avoid silicones in thermal protectant sprays is a fool's errand. I'd rather...not go that route....

I've been reading about Caruso steam rollers and they seem to be a viable option for people who don't want burn-level or dry heat at all. Does anyone have any experience with those?

I've tried the traditional foam roller route - my damp hair just DOES NOT dry with rollers in them being mashed in a pillow. Again, no curls. From Amazon reviews of the Caruso brand, it seems like you lightly steam the rollers so they just get infused with the steam. They don't actually make your hair wet, so this might actually work...

vCash
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Up4Tg...%3DUp4TgmSCoTw

Anita, here is a video tutorial of a girl with Asian hair using no heat curl formers on dry hair. She had to leave them in a long time so you may have to do it the night before but there is no damp hair involved.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    What with all the hair torture and Spanx involved, maybe you should call sick.

How about wearing a high ponytail with lots of hair wrapped at the top and flowers or whatever? Or some type of elaborate but not curly updo?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Hey, Glamour Pusses, check out this video on make-up and skin care wasters.
    I never have much success with eye creams. My skin around the eye area is so sensitive whenever I try to use one, it just stings and stings and I give up on it. So for that reason, I agree that eye creams are a waste of money for me. I once had a sales associate tell me that the stinging meant the product was working. I was thinking 'Uh I don't really give a rat's ass what it's doing...it's burning the eyes out of my head. I'm not going to use it again!'

I read somewhere once that toner is a big waste of money too. I stopped using it immediately and never looked back. I don't miss it.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    I like my eye creme--it's more about brightening and de-puffing. My dark circles are way less noticeable when I use it.

vCash
    I swear I've heard one of the reasons for fancy eye creams is the skin around your eye is more delicate than the rest of your face. It certainly feels that way. That said, I currently have yet to find an eye cream that really knocked it out the park for me and my early-30s skin (plus a few years from my smoking days). I've used the odd roller that feels soothing and helps with depuffing a bit, but that's about it...
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I like my eye creme--it's more about brightening and de-puffing. My dark circles are way less noticeable when I use it.
    name please!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i love the 100% pure eyecream, it smells very good and due to that it is the only eye cream i have remembered to use nightly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Up4Tg...%3DUp4TgmSCoTw

Anita, here is a video tutorial of a girl with Asian hair using no heat curl formers on dry hair. She had to leave them in a long time so you may have to do it the night before but there is no damp hair involved.
    Hmm I tried the foam rollers again last night on my dry hair. Kind of worked, although they had trouble staying in even when I bent them into a donut shape with the ends overlapping. It was more like soft beachy waves, and the ones at the back of my head had pretty much fallen out when I woke up.

Even if they had stayed in, the beachy look isn't really what I'm going for. Also, apparently 6 hours isn't enough time, because I think these will straighten out in a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    What with all the hair torture and Spanx involved, maybe you should call sick.

How about wearing a high ponytail with lots of hair wrapped at the top and flowers or whatever? Or some type of elaborate but not curly updo?
    And updo is exactly what I want to avoid. I've never been able to put my hair in a high ponytail - it's just too heavy and slippery and starts falling down in 5 seconds. My ponytail has a diameter of more than an inch. Forget about an elaborate updo unless I pay a professional to do it! I also have an extremely square face, and I've always liked my hair down for that reason. I mean, I like my square face, but long hair softens the extremely boxy look.

vCash
    Never mind, 20 minutes after I last reported and the waves have already straightened out to only a kink at the ends. I sprayed them just after I let them out too! Do I have to spray until my hair is stiff or something? Use up half a can of hairspray each time? (Alf will really appreciate the fumes - we don't have an exhaust!)

If I wanted this to work, I'd probably have to leave the rollers in for 3 days straight...

vCash
    You are going to need a lot of a really strong hairspray. There is one out there called "Glu" (or similar...it's in a yellow can) that is made to hold spikes, so it might work. But your hair is NOT going to move. At all.

Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast