Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I watch pixiwoo sometimes but this one of the Mila Kunis look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzqwhs3qCWU
    don't you guys think that the foundation is too yellow for her?

One problem I have with pixiwoo are the eyebrows--they are too painted on and too unnatural. I sometimes fill mine in a bit but I really don't like the really defined "painted" eyebrow look.

I wasn't aware of Michelle Phan--love the broken city gold look.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 02-05-2013 at 06:13 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I've recently discovered The Beauty Department. They seem kinda neat. I like Musings Of A Muse for reviews and cheaper brands featured.

I'm trying to find more Canadian beauty blogs, because it gets old reading reviews for products that either aren't available here or wind up being much more expensive when it comes to high-end lines.

http://www.beautycrazed.ca/
    http://www.Glittergeek.ca
    http://spicedbeauty.com/ (Though it hasn't been up lately?)

I'm thinking of upgrading to a better BB Cream from my Maybelline glorified tinted moisturizer. I still really like it for daily wear, but I would love something with anti-aging properties.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Andorra, I sometimes go to this blog.

http://canadianbeauty.com/

I really like glittergeek.ca. I'm gonna have to bookmark the blog.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    My personal input: the right brushes do ALL the work for you. What type of makeup brushes do you have? I can recommend a few.
    Cheap ones, except the face ones, which I have no issues with. Do I need many? One is an eyeliner brush that works well for that, and to make eyebrows. the other one is just a standard eyeshadow brush, nothing special.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    Cheap ones, except the face ones, which I have no issues with. Do I need many? One is an eyeliner brush that works well for that, and to make eyebrows. the other one is just a standard eyeshadow brush, nothing special.
    You only need a few actually. For most people, they don't need expensive brushes. Most people just use basic techniques, i.e blending, applying shadow, contouring. I recommend the following.

Real Techniques. Excellent brushes for their price point. They are made of taklon bristles(very soft), which are cruelty free/vegan.

Ecotools - you can buy them at Ulta, Target or online at Ulta.com or Amazon.com

Sigma Brushes - I would get the E25, E30, E55 or E70. They are $10 each. I would start out with 3 brushes. Personally, I would get the E70 instead of the E55, why? The E70 is a very versatile brush, especially for beginners. You can use it to "wash" or "apply in a sweeping motion" eye shadow on the lid, crease and under the brow. But if you need to precisely apply color on the outer portion of the eye in a "v", it does that too.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I love my hodge podge collection of brushes. None save the Chanel were expensive (and the Chanel is not the best or a favorite).

Bronzer brush by now defunct Presctiptives--a synthetic wide fluffy brush, still great

Bare escentuals tapered blush brush--not the best, still looking for a great brush to apply powdered blush

Random nameless wide brush with synthetic bristles I use to blend blush after the BE doesn't give me the results I want, probably GWP

Lancome GWP brush, probably intended to apply foundation--I use it to sweep away stray eyeshadow under the eye right after application and before concealer

Another random nameless brush I use to apply powder

Estee Lauder GWP concealer brush--retired since I started used Colorscience concealer which I apply with a sponge

My beloved veteran Garden Botanika collection--flat slanted brush for eyeliner application, tapered shadow brushes that are the envy of all the women in my family (gave one to my SIL--she loves me forever). They don't make them like that anymore.

Origins powder eyeliner brush--love!

Bare Escentuals blending brush--too big and too wide to blend eyeshadow, I use it to apply an all-over base color

Lancome GWP blending brush--a gem!

Avon shadow brush--really good for that V-line application

Chanel concealer brush--useless POS

The F15 of the Sigma brushes caught my eye--do you recommend it, topaz? I like a diffuse application of blush, a natural look. And this one seems like it would do the job.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 02-06-2013 at 03:04 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    IA, I'm not so sure about this brush. It seemsl like it would do the job but the brush head seems to large to really "diffuse" the color. I have not used this brush in particular. I do have this Sigma Brush. This DOES diffuse the color and it's smaller; you can control the application better. You can "stipple or bounce" the blush on the cheek or buff it in. Duo Fiber brushes are good because they can be used with powder, cream and liquid formulas.

I have WAY too many brushes. I have like two Sigma kits. Eyes Kit, 6 other eye brushes, 6 Face brushes including the F80. I really like this brush I don't use it much, not sure why.

My Expensive brushes are -

Nars Yachiyo Kabuki Brush #27 $50
    But the brush has been worth it so far. I bought it a few months ago. It applies blush, all powder products, bronzer, highlighters like a DREAM. It's made from goat's hair, really soft on the skin.

I have a few Bobbi Brown brushes which are excellent; I love the Face Blender, Concealer blending and Cream Shadow brushes. I'm thinking of getting the Full Coverage Foundation Brush. Bobbi's brushes are very expensive too but I've noticed quality with her brushes. I have about $80 worth of BB brushes.

I use my Bobbi Brown, Nars, Sigma and Sephora brushes everyday. My two favorite foundation brushes are Sephora Pro Foundation Brush #56 & Pro Foundation Brush #55. I have the older versions of both of the brushes with the silver handle. I use the #56 for creamier foundation or face products like cream blushes or illuminators. The #55 is better with runny or loose foundations like Makeup Forever Face & Body, Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation or Armani Luminous Silk Foundation. The brushes do all the work and the foundation come out looking blended, flawless and air-brushed.

I only have one MAC brush, the #239. I like it alot and may get another one.
    Last edited by topaz; 02-06-2013 at 04:23 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks, topaz, will look into it. So far I apply blush with what turned out to be the rather expensive Soft Focus Brush. I really don't think that I paid this much for it--I've had it for years, it must have gone up in price.

Anyway, I think it's not the right tool for the job. It applies the product in a way that's too precise to look natural, so I have to blend and buff with a bigger and fluffier brush. Soft focus my a$$. Do not recommend.

How's the handle on the $50 Nars? Is it sturdy?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I've recently just start buying brushes... When you say that a brush can multi-task, does that mean: 1. I use the brush to apply blush, wash it, use it to apply highlights. or 2. I use the brush for blush, brush it off tissue to remove color/product, then use the brush for highlights?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't have time for that. I have dedicated brushes for each task.

from Speedy Death

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    Use the tissue. I do it when I'm applying eyeshadow, I can't bother to change the brush
    And if you wash, you won't be able to use it right away, as it would be... wet! (unless you use one of those special brush cleaning sprays, like MAC's)

But you should wash all of your brushes every once in a while, I use baby shampoo and warm water.
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    Sephora makes a quick-dry spray that you can clean brushes with. Just spray it on a paper towel and wipe the brush.

I only have one "fancy" brush, a $40 Lancome blush brush that I got in 2000. Normally I would never spend that kind of $ on a brush (I was in college at the time), but I had returned a gift to Saks and didn't know what else to get! It's still going strong all these years later, so fair to say it was money well spent.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    Quality brushes are money well spent. They'll last almost forever.

vCash
    Thanks, ladies! I do have several eye shadow brushes so I'm fine with those but I want one of those "fancy, quality, non E.L.F." blush brushes and that NARS is looking like a good one to buy but was wondering how to transition it from blush then highlighter.

vCash
    IA, the Nars brush is sturdy. It feels well made when you use it and there are few tricks you can use for makeup application because of the handle. If you hold the brush with the handle midway up the handle, then you have a more concentrated/bolder application. Holding the brush with the vine/handle close to the end gives a more light/suble application.

I bought the brush after I saw this review. The author of the video Erikosan84 is another favorite YouTuber I enjoy.

*The blushes she uses are Nars Blushes. They cost about $34 usd but they will last you forever. They are so pigmented, a little goes a long way and they last all day. I have had several of my Nars blushes for 5 years and I have barely made a dent into them. Powder products dont' really hold onto bacteria so they can last forever.

Myhoney- I would do as beepbeep does. I just brush it off on a tissue or use the other side of the brush to apply my highlighter. I am assuming you're using a powder highlighter, am I right? I apply my highlighter/illuminator on the upper part of my cheekbone(on top of the cheekbone) in downward strokes. Some apply highlighter on the upper portion of their blush in downward or side sweeping motion. I use highlighter on the bridge of my nose, cupid's bow, under the brow too.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    My Chanel blush arrived today in Rose Initiale. Meh. The color is good, the smell is eau de old lady. European companies really need to get their act together with respect to scents in their cosmetics. Their products smell like it's 1950s and it's bloody 2013. This is Chanel for goodness sake where they know a thing or two about scents.

Back to Nordstrom it goes and now I need to find another blush.

I will just go back to Bare Minerals, their Giddy Pink which I like but feared discontinued. Well, it is not, just repackaged. And the price is a lot better.

Wrt Nars, yes, their blush in Orgasm is a very nice product.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 02-07-2013 at 09:08 AM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Pregnancy has turned my hair from moderately wavy to absolutely curly. I was in Sephora the other day and let a salesperson talk me into a basket full of Bumble & Bumble curl care products.... amazing! My hair looks fabulous!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    My Chanel blush arrived today in Rose Initiale. Meh. The color is good, the smell is eau de old lady. European companies really need to get their act together with respect to scents in their cosmetics. Their products smell like it's 1950s and it's bloody 2013. This is Chanel for goodness sake where they know a thing or two about scents.

Back to Nordstrom it goes and now I need to find another blush.

I will just go back to Bare Minerals, their Giddy Pink which I like but feared discontinued. Well, it is not, just repackaged. And the price is a lot better.

Wrt Nars, yes, their blush in Orgasm is a very nice product.
    IA have you tried Tarte or Makeup Forever blushes? Tarte Amazon blushes I have a Tarte blush and I like it. It's matte, very natural looking. d. Try Dollface or Adored.

MUFE Powder blush in #69, #112 or #133

I would recommend the Nars Foreplay Palette(gotta love the name..lol). You get a highlighter and 3 blushes for like $50. Orgasm is good highlighter on dark/deep skin tones. Super Orgasm is the best highlighter for deep skin tones. Better than Albatross or Luster.

As far as blush goes, have you tried Gaiety, Mata Hari or Desire?

But then again, I'm dying to get my hands on this Burberry Blush in Hydrangea Pink

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    I'm dying to get my hands in some Orgasm (no pun intended )
    Imported stuff is very expensive here and whenever I have money, they don't have it in the stores

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I watch pixiwoo sometimes but this one of the Mila Kunis look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzqwhs3qCWU
    don't you guys think that the foundation is too yellow for her?

One problem I have with pixiwoo are the eyebrows--they are too painted on and too unnatural. I sometimes fill mine in a bit but I really don't like the really defined "painted" eyebrow look.
    That's the first time I've seen a pixiwoo episode. Love it!!!

But yes, the foundation was too yellow on her forehead and the eyebrows were better with just the pencil rather than with the extra gel stuff on top.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast