Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Sleeping in airports?

Hey all,

I have a question for the world travelers out there - would you ever consider sleeping in an airport rather than a hotel for one night? If my flight leaves at My flight is leaving Gatwick at 9am so would you consider staying just one night in a hotel or crashing at the airport? It's an international return to canada so I'd have to be there by 6am anyway.

Thoughts?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    gatwick used to have a yotel that rented rooms by the hour iirc, it could still be there
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash

vCash
    If I had my time again I'd have gone straight to Christchurch Airport and bummed/napped around there for the night. We stayed at an airport hotel and were required to be at the airport by 3:30am...thanks to the bungling staff we didn't arrive at the airport until 3:40am. Thankfully, we were okay. But I only got two hours' sleep so in the end...should've got to the airport.

However, for my next major OS trip I'll still get the airport hotel. I like beds, and I'll be flying outbound from Sydney, which has an airport hotel practically on top of the airport (our one in Christchurch was about 10 minutes away).

vCash
    Um... No. If you can afford your trip... Get a room.. But for you can't afford you trip... Don't go.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Um... No. If you can afford your trip... Get a room.. But for you can't afford you trip... Don't go.
    There's a difference between can't afford a room and "I have to be at the airport at stupid o'clock anyway".

vCash
    Dubai Airport had entire families sleeping on the floors when I went through there. I have a 17 hour layover in Amsterdam coming up and I'm thinking of getting a room at the Mercure Hotel or Yotel, which would be interesting.
    If you reread your work, you can find on rereading a great deal of repetition can be avoided by rereading and editing.

vCash
    Thanks for the tip on the Yotel. I think that might be the way to go. I think it's right in the airport and I only have to pay for the hours I'm there. Sounds like a good idea but has anyone used it before? This way I don't have to fight london traffic!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    Dubai Airport had entire families sleeping on the floors when I went through there. I have a 17 hour layover in Amsterdam coming up and I'm thinking of getting a room at the Mercure Hotel or Yotel, which would be interesting.
    If the layover is that long, you definitely need a room. I have passed through Amsterdam airport just once, so I don't remember much of it. My layover there was about 2-3 hours. Some airports do have rooms available at the airport (Singapore and Hongkong do), but I am not familiar with this airport. I know it sounds like a waste of money if you check into an expensive hotel just to sleep, because you have to be at the airport by 7 am. If there is a hotel that is very close to the airport, it may be worth paying for. Otherwise one can sleep in a chair at an airport (2 chairs if that's an option, or a few airports may have sofas- I don't recall seeing these at Amsterdam).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    There's a difference between can't afford a room and "I have to be at the airport at stupid o'clock anyway".
    Not really.

vCash
    There were a few times I did this last year when I was in Asia. I would arrive in one airport stupid late, after midnight, and my next flight was early in the morning. I didn't see the point in spending money for a hotel I'd spend 4 hours in. I can't say it was entirely pleasant but nothing bad happened and there were loads of other people doing the same thing.

vCash
    I just returned home from Alaska on a flight that departed at 5:00 am. I checked in with a large bunch of people just after 3:00 am -- could not believe the number of people at the airport at that time. DH and I got a modest hotel at 6:00 pm the night before and showered, reorganized our bags and went to sleep plenty early. That seemed to work best for us, as I don't really like to sleep in public areas.

vCash
    Not really.
    Trust me, had I known that our transfer arrangements were going to be ballsed up as badly as they were, I'd have opted to sleep at the airport. I was dealing with a reception staff who refused to believe that we were required at the airport at 3:30am.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
    Hey all,

I have a question for the world travelers out there - would you ever consider sleeping in an airport rather than a hotel for one night? If my flight leaves at My flight is leaving Gatwick at 9am so would you consider staying just one night in a hotel or crashing at the airport? It's an international return to canada so I'd have to be there by 6am anyway.

Thoughts?
    - All depends on how much you need sleep before a long flight.
    - You can sleep at the airport, Gatwick has places you can tuck yourself in, and it was OK in the 1990's and before. But now security will wake you up often, if you're asleep and not active.

I don't recommend it if your only concern is "waking up at 6 am". If you wanted to save money, test your "survival skills", test their security doors and measures just for fun and see if you can get into places where you're not allowed, then by all means..... sleep/stay the night at the airport, only if you plan to have fun with this process.

But if it is NOT a matter of money, and only a matter of "convenience" due to early flight, I suggest you go to the hotel on the airport grounds.

- Also depends which terminal you're leaving from - North or South.

SOUTH TERMINAL
    - YOTEL - is least expensive if space available.
    - BLOC HOTEL GATWICK - don't know the prices

NORTH TERMINAL
    - Sofitel gatwick - 200 - 250 usd

ON AIRPORT GROUNDS - 5 min shuttle ride
    - HILTON GATWICK - 160-180 usd

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tinami Amori; 06-15-2014 at 08:49 AM.

vCash
    Thanks for all the suggestions but I just realized the point may be moot. I thought I would be landing at 11:00pm at Gatwick from Scotland then have to get up and ready to be at the airport again by 6am (not get up at 6am). Well as it turns out I got my dates mixed up and I thought my tour was ending on the 6th and I was flying out on the 7th. Actually it ends on the 5th which gives me an extra day (and an extra day to pay for at the hotel!) But it's all good. My question now is what's around Gatwick? Not sure I want to go back to the city since I've been there before and I should try something different. I was thinking Hever castle?
    Last edited by Guinevere; 06-15-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Spelling

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    - test your "survival skills", test their security doors and measures just for fun.
    oh tinami how i miss you
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
    My question now is what's around Gatwick? Not sure I want to go back to the city since I've been there before and I should try something different. I was thinking Hever castle?
    Maybe head down to Brighton for something different? Hever Castle sounds good too. If it ever comes up again, I've stayed at the Gatwick Yotel and it's a nice thing if you need it. Nice shower, comfortable bed, tv, a place to store your bags. The lack of windows was a little disorienting while jetlagged though. A little expensive but not so bad when you consider the price of the airport luggage storage. Gatwick also has a regular hotel attached to it (Hilton?) if you need a longer stay.

Not really.
    LOL - are you offended by the sight of people sleeping in airports? If they'd rather spend the money on something fun instead of a few fitful hours in a hotel in the middle of the night, what does it matter? Should people on a backpacker budget never travel?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Trust me, had I known that our transfer arrangements were going to be ballsed up as badly as they were, I'd have opted to sleep at the airport. I was dealing with a reception staff who refused to believe that we were required at the airport at 3:30am.
    There is a difference between being caught in circumstances and making a travel plan that includes using the airport as a hotel. I have been on the bad end of connections.. It is not fun. Geneva airport with five kids and a canceled flight connection. But planning a sleep over at the airport is not right.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Best use of time to kill I've seen in a long while. Hard to believe he did all that with an iPhone.

But planning a sleep over at the airport is not right.
    Er, why not? I can see not wanting to do it, but what makes it wrong?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast