Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash

The worlds most and least emotional countries

...or so this claims via a color coded map

A color-coded map of the world’s most and least emotional countries

They asked people how many times they laughed or smiled, or I suppose other things? Curious.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I wonder what the other questions were?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    ...or so this claims via a color coded map

A color-coded map of the world’s most and least emotional countries

They asked people how many times they laughed or smiled, or I suppose other things? Curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Maybe how often they cried? Or lost their tempers -- or even threw things? They would have had to ask about negative emotions, too, otherwise the middle east wouldn't likely have been in the higher end of the emotionality range and they wouldn't have been able to say from the survey that:
    The Middle East is not happy. Gallup notes, “Negative emotions are highest in the Middle East and North Africa, with Iraq, Bahrain, and the Palestinian Territories leading the world in negative daily experiences.”
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I am glad to have "proof" that Americans are so emotional, because I get tired of us being characterized as fake, shallow phonies. I think we're a buncha sentimental saps myself.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    ...I think we're a buncha sentimental saps myself.
    speak for your self...

Here's the link to Gallup, there may be more info there, I can't look right now

http://www.gallup.com/poll/158882/si...try-world.aspx
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Not surprised by those results.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Here's the link to Gallup, there may be more info there, I can't look right now

http://www.gallup.com/poll/158882/si...try-world.aspx
    These are the questions that are listed in the article BR linked, but surely these can't be all of them to be able to rate "most/least" emotional countries!

Did you feel well-rested yesterday?
    Where you treated with respect all day yesterday?
    Did you smile or laugh a lot yesterday?
    Did you learn or do something interesting yesterday?
    Did you experience the following feelings during a lot of the day yesterday?
    How about (enjoyment, physical pain, worry, sadness, stress, anger)?

Not sure that all of the above really are a measure of how "emotional" a person/country is (i.e. feeling well-rested is a good thing, but I'm not sure how that correlates to being emotional or unemotional. Ditto for "learning something interesting" -- I view that as a positive thing, but not necessarily related to how emotional or not I might be).
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    What questions would you ask if you wanted to determine if people were emotional or unemotional?

vCash
    What questions would you ask if you wanted to determine if people were emotional or unemotional?
    I don't think that I would want to determine if people (in general) were emotional or unemotional (as in sampling 1000 people per country to get some sort of average measure of something that I thought corresponded to emotional level). I suppose there is some value/utility in being able to determine if a country is more or less "emotional" but no one ever really deals with an entire country as an aggregate, do they? Individuals are always going to be unique and vary from whatever the national average is.

But that's just my bias -- statistics were never my thing -- in my psychology courses, I always was more interested in individual case studies than reading about experiments with 100s of subjects and 1000s of data points. (I often seemed to find exceptions that made "true/false" questions impossible to answer, too. )

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Well, what would you consider indicators of whether an individual is emotional or unemotional?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I am glad to have "proof" that Americans are so emotional, because I get tired of us being characterized as fake, shallow phonies. I think we're a buncha sentimental saps myself.
    Many years ago--like too many for the research to be valid and I don't even remember the specific sources I used--I wrote my thesis on American cultural responses to the irony of (mostly) Swift and I had quite a bit of research about American sentimentalism--and yes, that was exactly the conclusion, that we are sentimental saps in comparison with most cultures.

But that varies a lot by time period, too.

I kind of laughed at the part about how responses vary in African countries. Country and culture are two completely different things in most of Africa, so it would follow that they would find variance like that. And is anyone surprised that the Middle East is grim? What would we expect it to be? But I wonder what that would be historically?

And what does all this mean?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    That's why they keep airing the Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials. They apparently work!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    That's why they keep airing the Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials. They apparently work!

PRlady has to leave the room whenever they come on!

vCash
    Well, what would you consider indicators of whether an individual is emotional or unemotional?
    I'm not sure, because some people who are not very expressive (i.e., don't laugh or cry easily) aren't necessarily "unemotional" (although some may be). I think a lot probably depends on how one is defining the term "emotional" -- do they really mean expressive? I really haven't answered your question, have I? Sorry about that but maybe I can't.

I either leave the room or turn the channel -- I can't bear to watch those ASPCA commercials.

vCash

So does Badams...

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I sit there and roll my eyes at how emotionally manipulative they are.

Not that I'm unemotional or anything...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I started to think, "Canada, really?" and then I read a Facebook rant from a usually sane, chill, analytical Canadian about the NHL strike.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 11-30-2012 at 07:57 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Tranquillo
    vCash
    They called me emotional!!!!
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Who is going to tell the Russian ice dancers they aren't emotional?
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Disneyland or Disney World?
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast