Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lexeoe View Post
    to those who attended Boston 2014, anyone heard any rumors about the prospective bidders for 2017 Nationals?
    Heard that Cleveland was there, purely exploratory though.

vCash
    Sat next to a couple from the Greensboro LOC during the Gala and Sheraton has invested millions in renovation to the point of tearing out the old drywall. Independent restaurants, not hotel related are still a minimum and I was told to go to an area of town called Friendly. I did enjoy Old Salem last time as well as the warehouse called Replacements that has practically every pattern of china known to man, as well as, a cool museum in the back.

Going back to a city within a few years comforts me because I still remember the rink layout, hotel distance and other landmarks. No orientation needed.

vCash
    I'm told that no hotels are within easy walking distance by those who attended last time. Can anyone tell me if there has been any new development near the arena since then. Is there anything closer - walkable?

vCash
    No hotels within walking distance. There is only one BBQ restaurant within walking distance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    There's lots to see in the Twin Cities, and we've had pretty mild January's as of late. Last year there was no snow and temperatures in the high 30's and 40's.
    Good. So you got the cold out of the way this year then? Sure would be nice to have it 30's and 40's instead of -44 windchill!
    Last edited by stejoho40; 01-19-2014 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Typo

vCash
    I'm sure Chipso1 would love to see warmer weather in Saint Paul. Just checked weather.com and the forecast for Saint Paul for January 20 is a high of 12F and low of -15F. Forecast for Tuesday January 21 is a high of 1F and low of 0F. I haven't decided about 2016 U. S. Nationals yet, but I'm not really counting on warm weather .

Quote Originally Posted by stejoho40 View Post
    Good. So you got the cold out of the way this year then? Sure would be nice to have it 30's and 40's instead of -44 windchill!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jkl View Post
    No hotels within walking distance. There is only one BBQ restaurant within walking distance.
    Was there a good shuttle service? Or were rental cars a better idea / how was parking?
    Charlie has taught me so much about positivity and your outlook on life, and that it’s your choice in the way you see the world and the way you react to situations. ~Sharna Burgess

vCash
    At the Greensboro booth in Boston, I was told there would be a parking pass offered for $30.00 for parking at the arena for the whole week. Sounds like a good deal to me. I'm fortunate I live close enough to drive (8 hours) and will have my car. Also, a work friend offered me a free place to stay 40 minutes away.. Thinking about it.
    I suddenly find myself older than I ever intended to be--Roxy Hart in "Chicago"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
    Was there a good shuttle service? Or were rental cars a better idea / how was parking?
    The shuttle service was okay. I will drive and get the parking pass.

vCash
    I liked the shuttle service in Greensboro. Had no problem getting to the arena. The downside for me in Greensboro was getting back to the hotel. It seemed like a kind of long wait for the shuttle and then it would sit for quite awhile until every seat was full. I also had a friend who drove and dropped me at my hotel a couple of nights, so my experience getting from the arena to the hotel was limited to 3 nights.
    Weirdly I had the opposite problem in Boston. It seemed the way the routes were set up was to pick up fans at the Westin and Renaissance and then the Seaport Hotel. On Thursday morning I was the last person to board an early shuttle that was almost full when it stopped and quite a few fans were left waiting for the next shuttle. On Saturday morning I was not able to board 2 shuttles because they were already close to full. I finally got on a 3rd shuttle (so waited 1 hour). Getting back to the hotel at night wasn't a problem and I always got on the shuttle within a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by jkl View Post
    The shuttle service was okay. I will drive and get the parking pass.

vCash
    Thanks to all for providing feedback on parking/shuttles. It's a 12-13 hour drive so if I go, I might think about the benefit of having my own car there! (and being able to take a LOT more stuff along than I could on a plane, LOL!)
    Charlie has taught me so much about positivity and your outlook on life, and that it’s your choice in the way you see the world and the way you react to situations. ~Sharna Burgess

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutzcy View Post
    At the Greensboro booth in Boston, I was told there would be a parking pass offered for $30.00 for parking at the arena for the whole week. Sounds like a good deal to me. I'm fortunate I live close enough to drive (8 hours) and will have my car. Also, a work friend offered me a free place to stay 40 minutes away.. Thinking about it.
    I used the parking pass last time and it was great. For me it was so much cheaper to fly into Raleigh even with a rental car it was a no brainer. Plus then I could stay at the Springwood with a little kitchenette and free breakfast

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    I'm sure Chipso1 would love to see warmer weather in Saint Paul. Just checked weather.com and the forecast for Saint Paul for January 20 is a high of 12F and low of -15F. Forecast for Tuesday January 21 is a high of 1F and low of 0F. I haven't decided about 2016 U. S. Nationals yet, but I'm not really counting on warm weather .
    Yeah, I wouldn't count on warmer weather, but 2012 and 2013 weren't bad (20s to high 30s ... and 2012 didn't have much snow at all... actually 2013 didn't have much snow in January, but we had three blizzards from the end of April through the first 10 days of May).

2014 has been bitter (down to minus 30 at times)... even those of us who live here were complaining (although as I write this, it's 32 degrees and very pretty out). Nationals last a week... it's possible to have days of bitter and days of "not so bad" in the same week.

vCash
    Yes, I completely understand....I live outside Cleveland and last week we had a low of -11F with a windchill of -30F. Today its about 26F and more cold air is expected with lows below zero. I thought the shuttle in Saint Paul worked out very well. I did not stay on the skywalk because the hotels were more expensive. As I recall the volunteers did an excellent job at the end of events of lining people up inside the Xcel Center until the appropriate shuttle appeared. No one was allowed to stand outside and wait. I thought they did an excellent job! Also, for the people who are thinking about going there were also shuttles to the hotels that were on the skywalk though I don't know what the plan is for 2016. The skywalk hotels were about 1/2 mile and some people dealing with physical problems were not able to walk that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't count on warmer weather, but 2012 and 2013 weren't bad (20s to high 30s ... and 2012 didn't have much snow at all... actually 2013 didn't have much snow in January, but we had three blizzards from the end of April through the first 10 days of May).

2014 has been bitter (down to minus 30 at times)... even those of us who live here were complaining (although as I write this, it's 32 degrees and very pretty out). Nationals last a week... it's possible to have days of bitter and days of "not so bad" in the same week.

vCash
    I have no idea what the plans are, and certainly the Skyway hotels would be the most convenient; there's also Holiday Inn (I think it's a Holiday Inn) a couple blocks from the Xcel that's not on the Skyway. For people that don't care about being able to run back and forth between the arena and the hotel quickly, an alternate plan would be to stay in one of the downtown Minneapolis hotels (there are more of them, and might be slightly less expensive because they have to compete with each other) or The Commons Hotel on the U of MN campus, then just hop on the Light Rail which should take you really close to the Xcel. It would be far cheaper, and faster, than driving and parking every day.

vCash
    Do you know what the closet light rail stop to Excel is?

vCash
    It will be the "Central" stop (the "Green Line" of the LRT is scheduled to open this Spring), about 5 blocks away - looks like it's right by the Hotel 340, which would give it access to the Skyways. If you look at this map (http://www.metrotransit.org/metro-system ), the Blue Line is open now, the Green Line will be open this year.

garden freak
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stejoho40 View Post
    Well, we are having a relatively bad winter this year, polar vortex and all, and it snows again just when the roads get cleared off. Meh. Maybe we are getting this out of the way so it will be decent in 2016. If I recall correctly, it was horribly cold the first part of the week in 2008, but I remember it was really nice (January thaw) as I was driving home!

vCash
    Thanks for the map impromptu

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    A friend and I just put in our ticket order! I haven't been to nationals in years and she's never been. We'll book our room once we know what the schedule will be. We're getting all-event tickets.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast