Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Brian Boitano announces he's gay before trip to Sochi

By Christine Brennan: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ation/4125427/
    Brian Boitano, the 1988 Olympic figure skating gold medalist who was named to the official U.S. delegation to the 2014 Sochi Olympics, announced today that he is gay.

"I am many things: a son, a brother, and uncle, a friend, an athlete, a cook, an author, and being gay is just one part of who I am," Boitano said in a statement.

"First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance. As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-19-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Phil Hersh has tweeted/published Boitano's entire public statement here: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1ru1l9i
    Brian Boitano's entire statement, as released by his publicist:

I am currently skating in Europe but want to provide a statement regarding my appointment to the Olympic delegation. I have been fortunate to represent the United States of America in three different Olympics, and now I am honored to be part of the presidential delegation to the Olympics in Sochi. It has been my experience from competing around the world and in Russia that Olympic athletes can come together in friendship, peace and mutual respect regardless of their individual country's practices.

It is my desire to be defined by my achievements and my contributions. While I am proud to play a public role in representing the American Olympic Delegation as a former Olympic athlete, I have always reserved my private life for my family and friends and will continue to do so. I am many things: a son, a brother, and uncle, a friend, an athlete, a cook, an author, and being gay is just one part of who I am. First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance. As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations.
    Another article: http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...cs-delegation/
    He is on the delegation to Sochi along with openly gay American athletes two-time Olympic hockey medalist Caitlin Cahow and tennis legend Billie Jean King.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-19-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    It's almost as if he kept silent on the subject all these years waiting for the moment an official statement would make the most impact ... Boss

vCash
    I know this makes it official, but did anyone really doubt it? As a clueless teenager raised in an Evangelical family and watching the '84 Olympics, I can remember thinking 'he is gayer than a Broadway Show tune' and I never got why he'd climb on his huffy bike whenever he it was speculated upon. BTW, I'm gayer than a picnic basket.

Anyway, congrats to him.

vCash
    FINALLY!

(BTW, Brian, I've known all along, and have loved and admired you since Day 1.)

vCash
    I don't think Boitano was waiting for a moment to make a statement. From his statement, it sounds like he does not like to define himself strictly by his sexual preference. Who does? And that's a valid choice.

This opportunity was presented to him (to be a part of the Olympic delegation), and he decided to take it and make his thoughts known on the subject, which, of course, makes sense under the circumstances. I don't see this as grandstanding or done for impact; it is simply a clear and articulate statement, and a consequence of Boitano's deciding to be part of this delegation. I wish all athletes could be as clear and articulate.

O-

vCash
    Ok so how do i tap that ?

vCash
    how did this even make news... Next, Michelle Kwan will tell us she's Asian... insert eye roll

vCash
    Twitter:

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 13m
    My story on Brian Boitano becoming 3d openly gay athlete on White House delegation to Sochi Olympics: http://bit.ly/JM0yWK

vCash
    They just had breaking news on CNN that BB is gay, and the anchorman said when more information comes available they will report it.
    softball

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    BTW, I'm gayer than a picnic basket.
    Picnic baskets are gay?
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    They just had breaking news on CNN that BB is gay, and the anchorman said when more information comes available they will report it.
    LOL! What more information could there be?
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Bravo, Brian. It must feel good.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteorlight View Post
    It's almost as if he kept silent on the subject all these years waiting for the moment an official statement would make the most impact ... Boss
    lol no.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    It's only "news" here because American society deems it to be so.

I respect Boitano's statement: "I have always reserved my private life for my family and friends and will continue to do so."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    how did this even make news... Next, Michelle Kwan will tell us she's Asian... insert eye roll
    For US skating fans, maybe. But for the the majority of Russians who follow skating during the Olympic Games, I am sure it was not obvious all along. Coming out of a great athlete at this time is significant, I think.
    Brian Bontano and Billie Jean King
    Last edited by dinakt; 12-19-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I'm just happy for Brian. I know how it feels not to feel like you should have to come out, do I, why do I have to deal with this, its not relevant to anything beyond me personally, etc. Well this gave him an opportunity to have a great reason to come out rather than it just being about him. I'm really happy for him. Its just great that he could do this now.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    It's only "news" here because American society deems it to be so.

I respect Boitano's statement: "I have always reserved my private life for my family and friends and will continue to do so."
    I respect that statement too. I have always been of the belief that an individual, regardless of celebrity status, has the right to keep their personal life private. People should be free to disclose as much, or as little, about their private life as they want to disclose. It always angers me when a person is labeled a coward for not publicly stating their sexuality, or when people make it their goal to "out" other people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I know this makes it official, but did anyone really doubt it? As a clueless teenager raised in an Evangelical family and watching the '84 Olympics, I can remember thinking 'he is gayer than a Broadway Show tune' and I never got why he'd climb on his huffy bike whenever he it was speculated upon. BTW, I'm gayer than a picnic basket.

Anyway, congrats to him.
    I was pretty sure all along too, although you never know. There are some very metrosexual men who are genuinely hetero.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I was just having a discussion earlier today about how it's never too late to do the right thing. Good for BB!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast