Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    As I said, it would have been a great moment (and I could have seen it in person - won't be in Omaha), but as has been pointed out, USFS probably wanted Kwan to be the sole inductee. I'm sure Rudy is thrilled to be in the HOF and will enjoy his moment even if it's not in San Jose.
    As much as I love the Kween, I was also hoping for Rudy to be inducted into the USFHOF last year, where it all came together for him. Nevertheless, better late than never (a few years back, Paul Wylie was inducted - I was surprised he hadn't been inducted earlier). Many congrats to Rudy & Lori!

vCash
    I have searched but can't find the procedures for determining how a skater gets nominated and what the requirements are and who cast the ballots to determine those who are to be inducted .

Quadless
    vCash
    LOL - good luck with that.

(Wasn't that part of the basis for Dick Button's complaint last year - lack of transparency?)
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Well regardless of the criteria etc... I am thrilled Rudy got the honor. His National Championship was one of the great moments! Still brings tears to my eyes.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I am thrilled Rudy got the honor. His National Championship was one of the great moments! Still brings tears to my eyes.
    I know. And his reaction was absolutely one of the best kiss and cry moments ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXIj_UGchiE
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    congratulations to Rudy and Lori. well deserved

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Here's the issue I have with the whole "Hall of Fame" process. To me it seems that someone is either qualified / deserving of being inducted, or they're not.
    By that principle, as soon as a hall of fame is founded, everyone from the past who is eligible and might be deemed worthy should be nominated the first year, and anyone who is nominated but not accepted the first year could never be nominated again.

Each subsequent year, only people who newly become eligible or who newly come to the attention of at least one nominator would be presented for consideration, and each would be either accepted or permanently rejected.

I suppose there might be exceptions made for someone who was rejected when first nominated but whose importance in the history of the sport became clearer after more time had passed since they first became eligible.

Is that the best process?

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Here's the issue I have with the whole "Hall of Fame" process. To me it seems that someone is either qualified / deserving of being inducted, or they're not. Between last year and this year, what changed about Galindo's qualifications? Nothing, zippo, zilch. So if he is deemed qualified this year, he should have been deemed qualified last year, too. But he wasn't, so that suggests that other factors are considered, such as timing, etc. And if that's the case then I think they should have given it to him and maybe not have nominated Kwan until this year. Especially considering that Galindo has been out of competition for far longer than Kwan has (1996 vs. 2006).

For any other skater the location of the induction would appear to be irrelevant, but for Rudy, the fact that he won his one and only title in San Jose, skating last to bring the house down, after so many trips to senior nationals and so many disappointments, is part of what made the "Rudy Galindo moment." And that's why I think Rudy should have been celebrated in San Jose.

Of course Kwan is more accomplished. But if there is more to the nominations and awards than just accomplishments, as there certainly appears to be, then I think the very special association of San Jose to Rudy's title should have been considered.
    If Rudy's accomplishments aren't as exciting outside of San Jose, then maybe they aren't big enough to get him in HOF? Look, he is accomplished, he won 2 pairs titles and 1 singles, 2 world junior titles, and a world medal. If this is deserving enough to get in, then it doesn't matter what city.

I do think induction should be based on merits and not how popular someone becomes after a certain number of years. So I don't think it's right that fan reaction "pushed" him into it. It shouldn't be a popularity contest. If he got in based on his merits, then I support the decision.

vCash
    [QUOTE=paskatefan;3773950]As much as I love the Kween, I was also hoping for Rudy to be inducted into the USFHOF last year, where it all came together for him. [QUOTE]

On the one hand, I would have liked Rudy to receive the honors in San Jose too, it's his hometown and his greatest performance.

On the other hand, it was considerate to make Kween the sole honoree that year, since anyone else who might have got in that year would be overshadowed by all the attention lavished on her.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I suppose there might be exceptions made for someone who was rejected when first nominated but whose importance in the history of the sport became clearer after more time had passed since they first became eligible.

Is that the best process?
    What does this have to do with the matter at hand? The USFSA HOF has been around for quite some time. It's not new.

Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    If Rudy's accomplishments aren't as exciting outside of San Jose, then maybe they aren't big enough to get him in HOF? Look, he is accomplished, he won 2 pairs titles and 1 singles, 2 world junior titles, and a world medal. If this is deserving enough to get in, then it doesn't matter what city.
    Ultimately, no it doesn't. But do you really think it wouldn't have meant more to Rudy to be inducted in his home town for the reasons mentioned? Seriously?
    Last edited by BittyBug; 12-19-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Fix quote

vCash
    This is how all Hall of Fames, Honorary Oscars, Honorary degrees, special achievements, Kennedy Honors, Lifetime achievement awards, etc. work. People are mostly ignored (unless they're incredibly popular and just became eligible) until someone on the nominating committee remembers them and nominates them. Sometimes they don't get past the first round until a few more tries then they get in.

Yes, it's based on merit and popularity, but that's life.

vCash
    What does this have to do with the matter at hand? The USFSA HOF has been around for quite some time. It's not new.

Ultimately, no it doesn't. But do you really think it wouldn't have meant more to Rudy to be inducted in his home town for the reasons mentioned? Seriously?
    Yes it would have. He was quite vocal about it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123