Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Emmett - thank you for posting the information about Al Beard. He is one of many accountants who work hard, often in a little back room of an arena where they can't even watch the skating. I know Al's story well - he is a skating dad who was amazed at how long it took to post the hand-calculated results from his daughter's ice dance event. Even though he was not a programmer, he went home and bought a USFSA rulebook and a book about computer programming and wrote a program that calculated the results. He gave that program to the USFSA and maintained it for decades. 40+ years later, he still works many hours per week programming and testing each year's version of the accounting software. He also served on the USFSA Board of Directors and as the USFSA Secretary. He just quietly and humbly works in the background to make sure that everything goes smoothly. And he does it really well. I truly hope he gets in the HOF this time.

Sylvia - I think that Al named the software "HAL" after the computer in 2001 Space Odyssey.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    So he has a sense of humor too. I hope he gets in too!
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Thanks for the info on McGinnis, Beard and Benson.
    I agree. How someone is selected is interesting to know and to be informed about the potential HOF inductees is great. Thank you

vCash
    Hard act to follow after last year's solo celebration for the Kween. That said, I would have wanted to make it the year Nationals returned to San Jose.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    RUDY GALINDO, LORI NICHOL NAMED TO U.S. FIGURE SKATING HALL OF FAME - today's press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48800&type=media
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia! I was just coming here to post the news. I should have known you'd be a step ahead.

I'm so happy for Rudy that he made it into the HOF. It would have been great if he'd been inducted last year in his hometown, but I'm sure to him it probably doesn't matter. And even though I haven't always loved Lori Nichol's choreo, I agree that she's created many 'signature' programs in U.S. skating, and deserves to be in the HOF.

Quadless
    vCash
    Meh. They should have given it to Rudi last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    TIt would have been great if he'd been inducted last year in his hometown, but I'm sure to him it probably doesn't matter.
    Really? Sure, I suppose it's nice to just be in, but given that it was practically a certainty that he would be inducted, don't you think it would have meant a whole lot more to him to have had that celebration in San Jose, where "the Rudy Galindo moment" happened?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Meh. They should have given it to Rudi last year.
    I agree. (And Al Beard wuzrobbed!)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Lori is Canadian so how can she be elected to the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Posted up thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I recall reading an article in which it was mentioned that Lori Nichol competed up to the Novice level in the U.S. and was coached by Don Laws.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Lori is Canadian so how can she be elected to the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame?
    She's done a ton of work with US skaters. I think she deserves recognition from the US for that.

Blergh
    vCash
    I'm sure Rudy Galindo would have loved to be inducted last year in his home town. That said, there's no way they were going to have Kwan share top-billing. She would've overshadowed anyone else who would have been inducted with her. In hindsight, I think the USFS did the right thing.

vCash
    Really? Sure, I suppose it's nice to just be in, but given that it was practically a certainty that he would be inducted, don't you think it would have meant a whole lot more to him to have had that celebration in San Jose, where "the Rudy Galindo moment" happened?
    As I said, it would have been a great moment (and I could have seen it in person - won't be in Omaha), but as has been pointed out, USFS probably wanted Kwan to be the sole inductee. I'm sure Rudy is thrilled to be in the HOF and will enjoy his moment even if it's not in San Jose.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Who cares what city Rudy Galindo gets in, at least he got in! Kwan deserved to have her own moment. She is one of the best not just in the U.S., but in the history of skating. She deserved the tribute of being the solo entrant. It would not show the proper respect to her contribution to be entered with anyone else. So does every entrant deserve to be entered only in their hometown, or where they won their nationals? That doesn't make sense.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Thrilled for Rudy. And very happy for Lori, too!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I don't think he would have liked sharing the spotlight with Kwan. It would have made his big moment more of an afterthought IMO.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Who cares what city Rudy Galindo gets in, at least he got in! Kwan deserved to have her own moment. She is one of the best not just in the U.S., but in the history of skating. She deserved the tribute of being the solo entrant. It would not show the proper respect to her contribution to be entered with anyone else. So does every entrant deserve to be entered only in their hometown, or where they won their nationals? That doesn't make sense.
    Here's the issue I have with the whole "Hall of Fame" process. To me it seems that someone is either qualified / deserving of being inducted, or they're not. Between last year and this year, what changed about Galindo's qualifications? Nothing, zippo, zilch. So if he is deemed qualified this year, he should have been deemed qualified last year, too. But he wasn't, so that suggests that other factors are considered, such as timing, etc. And if that's the case then I think they should have given it to him and maybe not have nominated Kwan until this year. Especially considering that Galindo has been out of competition for far longer than Kwan has (1996 vs. 2006).

For any other skater the location of the induction would appear to be irrelevant, but for Rudy, the fact that he won his one and only title in San Jose, skating last to bring the house down, after so many trips to senior nationals and so many disappointments, is part of what made the "Rudy Galindo moment." And that's why I think Rudy should have been celebrated in San Jose.

Of course Kwan is more accomplished. But if there is more to the nominations and awards than just accomplishments, as there certainly appears to be, then I think the very special association of San Jose to Rudy's title should have been considered.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Rudy has been eligible for years for the HoF, and was never inducted ... so I don't think the USFS was in any rush to admit him. I think the response last year might have told the USFS that there are a lot of people who want Rudy in the HoF ... and without it, he still might not have gotten in.

vCash
    Congratulations to Rudy and Lori, well deserved!!!!

vCash
    Congrats to Rudi & Lori.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast