Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    vCash
    There's a difference between going along with it when your fans call you by your diminutive and actually liking it when they do.

Beyond that, some people don't like the presumed familiarity of calling athletes one does not know personally by their first names (never mind nicknames or diminutives), but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

vCash
    and Nikol should represent Georgia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikol_Gosviani
    Elene might retire after 2014

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Why on earth should she?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by equatorial View Post
    Why on earth should she?
    with the depth in Russian ladies by 2014 and beyond she has a much higher chance
    if she will compete for Georgia a chance to go to the Olympics and World Championships

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I thought patrynomics were used formally, the equivalent of referring to John Nicks as "Mr. Nicks."
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I thought patrynomics were used formally, the equivalent of referring to John Nicks as "Mr. Nicks."
    Yes, patronymics are a respectful way to address someone or refer to someone. For example, Plushenkos coach is usually addressed and referred to by his students, Federation officials and also journalists as "Alexei Nikolaevitch".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    I agree. The question is whether she could stay and train in Russia with Urmanov though. Gedevanishvilli had some problems a few years ago. Also, if she competed for Georgia, maybe she would have to start paying for her lessons? Whereas I read somewhere that Russian athletes have it free (not sure if it is true). I doubt that Russian Federation would be paying for her training if she didn't represent them.

Anyway, too late now. She competed internationally, which means that she would have to sit out 2 years. And maybe Russian Federation would refuse to release her, as they did with Iliuchechkina.
    Last edited by hanca; 01-29-2013 at 09:44 PM.

vCash
    "Zhenia" is not formal, but not very casual- diminutive, either. Closer to "Rick" than "Ricky". While familiar, it does not sound offensive. With the name like "Evgeny" it's tricky anyway.
    "Evgeny! Stay home and recover!" sounds quite 19th- century.
    "Plushenko! Stay home and recover! " sounds wrong, almost tongue- and - cheek.
    The bigger fans we are of somebody, the more we are inclined to use informal names. On Yagudin fan sites, he is "Lyosha" quite a bit; as well as Alexei and Yags. Plushenko can be Evgenij or Zhenia with no offence given.
    improving my ballad- like lines

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Yes, patronymics are a respectful way to address someone or refer to someone. For example, Plushenkos coach is usually addressed and referred to by his students, Federation officials and also journalists as "Alexei Nikolaevitch".
    Were I to meet him, I think I would become tongue-tied, stumble around, and finally murmur out, "Sir."
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Were I to meet him, I think I would become tongue-tied, stumble around, and finally murmur out, "Sir."
    Totally. And it would never occur to me to refer to Tatiana Anatol'evna Tarasova as "Tanya". Would be unthinkable. Tricky, that name business
    improving my ballad- like lines

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Do people introduce themselves by their patrynomics? I'm wondering how you'd otherwise know what a person's father's name is. If I bumped into her in an arena and wanted to greet her, the best I could come up with is "Madame Tarasova." I'd never remember her father's name under pressure, Tarasova is her birth name, not her husband's name, and somehow "Miss" or "Ms." Tarasova doesn't feel right at all.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DELTA View Post
    http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-s...146370913.html

According to Govshkov, they will announce it after Cup of Russia which will take place this January. Also, Plushenko will possibly be competing at Worlds.
    To me it sounds like Gorshkov is denying the rumor Plushenko would compete at Worlds?

Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Plushenko is going to treat his back and start training on March 1st.
    Which, if this is accurate, does not sound like he'd be coming to Canada for Worlds, where practices start on March 10th. Correct?

Hopefully he can take it easy enough on the training to stay healthy through next season.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Better than anything Leonova has done since 2012 Worlds, and that's 5 (sucky) competitions ago.

My view is, clearly neither Gosviani nor Leonova are going to be counted on to help with keeping 3 spots for Sochi, so might as well go with the one who earned her trip.
    Yes. Unless they implode, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva should be able to place 6th and 7th easily to earn 3 spots.

Leonova is done anyway. Sot, Tuk and Lipnitskaya should dominate Russian skating for years to come and then you have Radionova coming up as well.

So they might as well send Gosviani who has proven her worth now.

I mean given Gosviani's very strong basics if she skated two clean programs at Worlds (very big if, I know), it would be possible for her to medal.

At Euros, she didn't skate in the final group, didn't have a perfect FS and still got high 6s on the PCS.

Title-less
    vCash
    WHen will they announce who will go to worlds? Will it depend on another skateoff or monitoring session close to worlds?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    WHen will they announce who will go to worlds? Will it depend on another skateoff or monitoring session close to worlds?
    After the Russian Cup where I assume that the skaters considered will compete.

vCash
    I would hate to be a Russian skater, never knowing where the goal posts were from one year to the next.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I would hate to be a Russian skater, never knowing where the goal posts were from one year to the next.
    Goal posts? Did you say goal posts?

Goal posts are for football players, not figure skaters.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 01-30-2013 at 05:41 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    What do you mean? The selection criteria for Euros wasn't a secret and from what I know it's been announced well in advance that Worlds team will be decided after the next Russian Cup event where skaters will be monitored. And how is it different from any other federation?

vCash
    Actually I was surprised how easy going Mishin is. Especially if you are a cute enough female and his pupil had a good skate. He'll behave like a favourite grandpa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    After the Russian Cup where I assume that the skaters considered will compete.
    I don't quite understand what the purpose of the Russian Cup Final is. I've read that Menshov won this competition five times but was never sent to Worlds. Piseev said that the Federation would assess, after the Russian Cup Final, all the results of the skaters under consideration from the current season and would decide accordingly but do the skaters know how much the results from the Russian Cup will weigh in the assessment of the Federation, as opposed to the results from other competitions such as GP, JGP, Nationals and Euros? I mean would Menshov win the Russian Cup again, would his win be viewed as a better result than Kovtun's 5th place overall at Europeans? The Federation can't assess the results of the likes of Menshov and Gachinski at the 2013 European Championships since they didn't even compete there, can they?

Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast