Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zotza View Post
    Maxim Trankov's father has died...
    http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/8043.html
    OMG this is so horrible
    Condolences to the Trankov family.

The article also says Maxim decided to to to Euros but will fly back to Russia on the 24th after the FS in order to attend his father's funeral in Perm.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    What horrible news! This is so very sad!
    Condolences to Maxim and his family. What a brave decision to skate at Euros.

vCash
    Bobrova and Soloviev are European Champs!!!

vCash
    Now It looks like kovtun is going to worlds- the plan all along! Lol.

He may face just a little pressure to place in the top 10. Better not do 4 combos!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Now It looks like kovtun is going to worlds- the plan all along! Lol.

He may face just a little pressure to place in the top 10. Better not do 4 combos!
    Does the number of spots on Olympic team depend on the performance at this Worlds?

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    exactly.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    At this point the Russians don't have any better option then sending the kid. Just what happened to the Russian program that there are no good 21-25 year old skaters who are decent? It seems like it's either guys in their late 20's or they are young like Kovtun.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DELTA View Post
    Does the number of spots on Olympic team depend on the performance at this Worlds?
    Yes, up to the Olympic quota (24 in singles). The other 6 spots (singles) are filled at the Olympic qualifier (Nebelhorn), or 5 if the host doesn't qualify, since the host is always guaranteed a spot.

With all of the talk about how Plushenko didn't want to go against the Japanese skaters and Chan at Worlds before Sochi, skating that injured and so diminished at Euros is likely to put a serious dent in his aura of invinceabilty that made his challengers at last year's Euros psych themselves out. It would be silly to count him out if he can duct tape himself up for one last stand in Sochi, but Kovtun, despite the extra combo, showed that he can skate well under pressure, not only against his teammate in competition, but with the weight of knowing that his Euros appearance had such vocal disapproval from some coaches, officials, and fellow skaters.

It's really too bad that given the state of his health Plushenko didn't withdraw, giving Menshov the spot and a chance on a level playing field.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I don't know maybe it was unfair to send Kovtun but I do kind of see where the Russian fed was coming from. Menshov doesn't have a long term future, and Kovtun IS their future. One could argue overall even though it was juniors Kovtun was far better throughout the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Yes, up to the Olympic quota (24 in singles). The other 6 spots (singles) are filled at the Olympic qualifier (Nebelhorn), or 5 if the host doesn't qualify, since the host is always guaranteed a spot.

With all of the talk about how Plushenko didn't want to go against the Japanese skaters and Chan at Worlds before Sochi, skating that injured and so diminished at Euros is likely to put a serious dent in his aura of invinceabilty that made his challengers at last year's Euros psych themselves out. It would be silly to count him out if he can duct tape himself up for one last stand in Sochi, but Kovtun, despite the extra combo, showed that he can skate well under pressure, not only against his teammate in competition, but with the weight of knowing that his Euros appearance had such vocal disapproval from some coaches, officials, and fellow skaters.

It's really too bad that given the state of his health Plushenko didn't withdraw, giving Menshov the spot and a chance on a level playing field.
    So I guess it's 2 men skaters max. for Olympics assuming Kovtun is top 10 this Worlds. Even in this case one of the three (Plushenko, Kovtun, or Gachinski won't) be there.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Ohh, so Kovtun did an extra combo... I didn't pick up on that watching in real time, and wondered why the score was low. He acquitted himself very nicely after all the criticism... this is what the Russian men really need.... someone mentally strong.

So is it for sure Kovtun will go worlds? He deserves it but Euros, JW, and Worlds is a bit much, he might run out of gas. I do feel bad for Voronov, he's really had a great season and it would suck for him not to go to Worlds, then again, he has only himself (well and Artur) to blame.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    While Kovtun was clearly the dominant Russian junior, Samarin got two 3rds in JGP and Petrov a silver. Petrov was 13 and Samarin was 14 by July 2012, so they're both eligible for Jr. Worlds.

Kovtun should be more important to the Russian Fed at Senior Worlds than Junior Worlds, especially if Euros is any indication that Plushenko might not be able to rally for Sochi. Kovtun's clearly capable of making Top 10 at Worlds, especially if he doesn't lose points for extra combos; he would have needed +1 GOE on a 3S instead of the disallowed combination to squeak past Joubert at Euros. Even though it's best to have an heir and a spare, having only a king is risky in any case, especially if he's not up to both programs in the Team Competition.

The chances that Kovtun would win silver or gold at Worlds are slim, so two spots are the most reasonable to hope for from him, and that would be formidable.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Kovtun has moved to seniors with no junior competition return I bet. I think he just trains for worlds and hope he can do top 10. I wouldn't it's likely enough to bet on but it's possible.

Gosviani going to worlds is also interesting. Total new team in ladies probably.

vCash
    Has it been announced Gosviani is going to worlds? I would think the Russian fed might still want a test skate between her and Leonova...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Has it been announced Gosviani is going to worlds? I would think the Russian fed might still want a test skate between her and Leonova...
    6 is a good placement, but her score may be too low. I don't think it's certain RF would sent Nikol to Worlds.

vCash
    6 is a good placement, but her score may be too low. I don't think it's certain RF would sent Nikol to Worlds.
    I honestly would have Leonova/Nikol do a skate off... I do think Nikol deserves consideration. She's showing that her Nationals placement was no "one hit wonder"

vCash
    The final cup of Russia is the skateoff - that didn't happen yet did it? Lol menshov says it never means anything

YEAH!
    vCash
    I was thinking Kovtun would want JW for the title and the ranking points. But if I'm looking at it correctly, he can only get points for only one championship... he'd get 500 for winning JW but he has already exceeded that by getting 551 for finishing 5th at Euros. So it's only the prestige of the title that matters, and I guess it will be up to TAT, but probably she'd rather see him at Worlds.

vCash
    Yes, her score is too low and I think it unlikely that she would be able to break into the top 10 at Worlds. The sensible choice is to send Leonova and maximise the chances of obtaining the 3 spots for the home Olympics.

vCash
    Wrong thread.

Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast