Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Yes, I would. Menshov has been solid and dependable, and not prone to meltdowns. He definitely should have medalled at CoR - that Brezina was placed above him was nothing short of a disgrace. Menshov is a good skater, he did what he had to do to earn a place on the team, and he did it well. Voronov's PCS at Nationals was a joke.
    I might remind you that Voronov placed 4th on the Free at worlds a few years back when he was under Urmanov.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    I might remind you that Voronov placed 4th on the Free at worlds a few years back when he was under Urmanov.
    And a few years back, Evan Lysacek became World Champion. *shrugs*

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Does anybody know why Plushenko didn't skate at the exhibition at Russian Nats? Was he at the medal ceremony?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    Does anybody know why Plushenko didn't skate at the exhibition at Russian Nats? Was he at the medal ceremony?
    No, he went home to Yana waiting for the baby;D

vCash
    I dont think the decision is made for Worlds for the "man", maybe they are testing Kovtun same for Nikol

Antipova/Maisuradze finished 4th at Nationals, their FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gZkfTjKY3E
    she reminds of Liubov with a lesser personality, I think they are compatible with technicalities huge twists, lutz throw , she might be a better jumper than Liubov

Sakhanovich also placed 4th: eligible next season for JGP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl_AKA22cG8

vCash
    Arghhhhhh why don't they send menshov! I know that kovtun has more potential, but menshov earned his place fair and square. Menshov deserves his swan song on the big international stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    Arghhhhhh why don't they send menshov! I know that kovtun has more potential, but menshov earned his place fair and square. Menshov deserves his swan song on the big international stage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe they will send Menshov to Worlds. Pluschenko won't compete if he is not in his top shape, Kovtun will be too young/inexperienced to have such responsibility on his shoulders, so if Voronov messes up Europeans, they have only Menshov and Gachinsky to choose from for worlds. As Gachinsky is the reson for having just one spot (and Menshov beat him at nationals), I think it would be Menshov going to worlds.

vCash
    Note to self: don't make assumptions based on muddled lists you read at 2:30am. It gets rather embarrassing.

Age eligibility aside for the ladies, I question the intelligence of sending a skater who hasn't skated an international in over two years...and who doesn't even have a qualifying score, over others who do.

Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    He went home to be with Yana. I think that's fair enough in this case!

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    As Gachinsky is the reson for having just one spot (and Menshov beat him at nationals), I think it would be Menshov going to worlds.
    Um, excuse you, but no, he's not.

There were two men for Russia at last Worlds. Gachinski didn't do that great, that's true. But neither did the much-vaunted Voronov. If Voronov is so reliable, so trustworthy and solid, shouldn't HE have secured two spots for this year? It wasn't all Gachinski. He wasn't the only one who was responsible.

vCash
    Um, excuse you, but no, he's not.

There were two men for Russia at last Worlds. Gachinski didn't do that great, that's true. But neither did the much-vaunted Voronov. If Voronov is so reliable, so trustworthy and solid, shouldn't HE have secured two spots for this year? It wasn't all Gachinski. He wasn't the only one who was responsible.
    Vonorov would have had to finish in the top 10 to balance out Gachinski's awful effort in Nice, which would have required a total score of 4 more points than his previous personal best, where as the required total of 224+ points should have been well within Gachinski's capabilites. I don't think anyone reasonable would have expected Vonorov to be in the top 10 in Nice, but they would have expected Artur to do it going on his efforts at Worlds 2011 & Euros 2012. In terms of the team last year, it was Gachinski's job to be top 10 or ideally higher, and Voronov's to back it up by not being lower than 18th. We can safely say that the blame for the Russian men's situation can be laid at the former defending bronze medallist's feet more than it can at Vonorov's.

It's a shame Menshov misses out, but I think Kovtun has done enough on the JGP & at Nationals to make a case for a trip to Zagreb, and it's nice to see the Russian Federation showing faith in him & looking to the future as Plushenko isn't going to last forever, however much he may wish he could I'm looking forward to seeing him skate there!

Loving on babies!
    vCash

Much vaunted Voronov? Where the hell have you been, that kid hasn't been "vaunted" since he was a junior. And by the way, he placed ahead of Gachinski at worlds. Barely, but he did. And I doubt that anyone would be saying that Voronov was reliable or trustworthy LAST season. But he's shown decent reliability this year, and earned his chance to continue to prove himself. But then again, so did Menshov, who is totally getting screwed.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    I feel for Menshov, but I'm so happy for Gosviani!!!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I suspect Menshov might make the World team since Plushenko has already stated he's not going. If I were the Russian fed, I'd rather give Kovtun a chance at Europeans as a test skating as a senior in a big event than at Worlds which will determine the number of skaters for the Olympic team. If he does well at Europeans, he'll go to Worlds. If he does not, I suspect the World team will include Menshov. The situation may suck for Menshov, but I can understand the Federations's logic. They are looking ahead to 2014 and beyond. It will be a total battle for the 2nd spot on the Olympic team in Russia. I'm reasonably confident Menshov won't be there. There is a reasonable chance Kovtun will. There is a difference in skating as a junior and a senior and I understand the decision to give him a test at a comp that isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    It will be a total battle for the 2nd spot on the Olympic team in Russia. I'm reasonably confident Menshov won't be there. There is a reasonable chance Kovtun will. There is a difference in skating as a junior and a senior and I understand the decision to give him a test at a comp that isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.
    Unless whoever is sent to worlds this year delivers, there may not be second spot at Olympics!

vCash
    Can one not make an observation anymore without attracting criticism?
    Apparently not.

vCash
    on a happier note, gosviani lit up the arena yesterday by skating OUT OF THIS WORLD to finish as the 3rd best senior Russian lady. She cried in Urmanov's shoulders ..... awww ..... it must be quite frustrating for her, seeing all these other girls being given so many opportunities. She had one opportunity yesterday and took it.

she has a nice style (balletic arm movements and beaming smile) though her jumps can be higher/done with more flow. I like the free programe music too! (Gizmo skated to it some years ago).

OTOH, Polina K. is also v. elegant but I've kinda given up on her already in her 2nd season as a senior. Poor girl! what a fleeting sport this is ...

vCash
    Now that I've seen Kovtun skate, I'm less supicious of the coach's council decision to send him to Euros. Not only is he pretty damn good, he's Russia's first truly CoP-friendly mens skater. All the guys in recent years have been Plushenko knock-offs to varying degrees of success, and all very much in the image of 6.0 skating. The results speak for themselves. They need to re-invest in someone now.

Kovtun was 3 points off the bronze here with a skate that has a lot of room to grow (possibility of 3 quads, good spins and steps, young and coached by Tarasova). Although it's terrible for Menshov, this decision seems to be in the Federation's best interests.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Unless whoever is sent to worlds this year delivers, there may not be second spot at Olympics!
    All the more reason to see if Kovtun can deliver at a senior event. If he can, he goes to Worlds. If he doesn't they can go with Menshov and see what happens in regards to the Olympics. Not that it really matters since Plushenko is going if he can put on skates. He's the only real hope for a medal. The elusive 2nd spot is simply a bonus. Poor Plushenko. He goes to the Olympics and earns 3 spots for the Russian men who promptly lose them. Twice. I only hope he stays healthy one more time.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    on a happier note, gosviani lit up the arena yesterday by skating OUT OF THIS WORLD to finish as the 3rd best senior Russian lady. She cried in Urmanov's shoulders ..... awww ..... it must be quite frustrating for her, seeing all these other girls being given so many opportunities. She had one opportunity yesterday and took it.

she has a nice style (balletic arm movements and beaming smile) though her jumps can be higher/done with more flow. I like the free programe music too! (Gizmo skated to it some years ago).

OTOH, Polina K. is also v. elegant but I've kinda given up on her already in her 2nd season as a senior. Poor girl! what a fleeting sport this is ...
    Gosviani and Polina K's only problem is that they have been born in Russia in 1996, the same year as Adelina and Liza. In any other country (except of USA and Japan) with their current level of skating they could be their national champion. Or if they were born just 5 years earlier, they would probably make it even in Russia...

vCash
    Age eligibility aside for the ladies, I question the intelligence of sending a skater who hasn't skated an international in over two years...and who doesn't even have a qualifying score, over others who do.
    If the other skaters would have been outstanding in their international assignments this season, I might understand. Leonova and Makarova were anything but. I see nothing wrong with giving Gosviani a chance to prove herself and gain more experience. If anything, Leonova was ridiculously held up in the long.

vCash
    So first your argument was that its embarrassing that they are not going in order of Nationals results, and now that you found out you were incorrect about that, you're questioning the intelligence of going by Nationals results? You can't have it both ways. Pick one argument and stick with it, otherwise you make no sense.

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast