Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    So because there was no improvement from leonova it shows her season is over and basically really her career.
    Well... no, actually.

vCash
    Not surprising but I can't help but feel for Gosviani. At least she got a shot at Euros and imo didn't disappoint there with her 6th place. I am not counting out Alena but I am not impressed after watching her performances from Russia Cup. Yes, she landed her jumps, but she really wasn't that convincing ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    http://fsrussia.ru/news/450_oficialn...6VkKuSyOL2uU6w

Kovtun and Leonova named on the Worlds team.
    Poor Menshov. He did everything they asked of him, and he still gets screwed over.

vCash
    Perhaps they will send Menshov to WTT?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Understandable but inconsistent decision. Should Gosviani have skipped the Russian Cup instead?
    I don't think its inconsistent. Leonova's the reiigning world silver medalist. Menshov isn't. And I don't think not attending the Russian Cup would have been the answer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I don't think its inconsistent. Leonova's the reiigning world silver medalist. Menshov isn't. And I don't think not attending the Russian Cup would have been the answer.
    Quite. And even with her horrible international results this year, Leonova still has a better season's best score than Gosviani, and she will benefit from a better draw in the SP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    no surprise here.
    let's hope, gosviani gets a grand prix next season due to her season best this year and show herself in good shape
    Her SB is only 30th and her WS is preety low so her only Grand Prix chances are a host pick at Cup of Russia, which I Hope she gets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Understandable but inconsistent decision. Should Gosviani have skipped the Russian Cup instead?
    Probaby she should've had. It workd for Kovtun

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Not surprising, but still... Menshov should be wondering what it is he has to do Maybe come back next season as a twenty year old?
    His best chance is to be consistent, hope the other guys do poorly on the GP, win a few GP medals, beat everyone but Plushy at Nats, and make the top 5 at Euros. I think his only way to make it next season is if the other men are in such bad shape that Russia is worried that they will be embarrassed in Sochi with performances like 2012 Worlds. In that case, they might send Menshov if he is skating well. Otherwise it will be Gachinski or Kovtun, to set them up for 2018.

vCash
    I can't help to think that this is a mess and could have been handled differently. For the european championships there was all that discussion about Menshov/Kovtun and some people mentioned that it would be ok to pick Kovtun cause the third place at nationals doesn't make it mandatory to pick that skater. But what to say about the selection decision for worlds? Isn't Voronov the silver medalist from nationals?
    Whatever...
    Anyway I wish Kovtun good luck for worlds and hopefully he will manage to get a top 10 place.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaiKozOda View Post
    I can't help to think that this is a mess and could have been handled differently. For the european championships there was all that discussion about Menshov/Kovtun and some people mentioned that it would be ok to pick Kovtun cause the third place at nationals doesn't make it mandatory to pick that skater. But what to say about the selection decision for worlds? Isn't Voronov the silver medalist from nationals?
    I think that only applied to Euros, and the Worlds team is in the federation's discretion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I think that only applied to Euros, and the Worlds team is in the federation's discretion.
    This federation’s decisions are getting more and more disgusting. I need some big puke icon.

It’s funny that Gosviani’s 6th place finish in a strong ladies field at Euros was considered as so weak that she had to do a test skate against Leonova, who performed subpar in any competition she entered before Russian Cup. And it’s even more funny, how Kovtun’s 5th place finish in a weak field at Euros was so brilliant to release him from any duty to skate at Russian Cup, despite except for Voronov he didn’t beat any skater at Euros, Menshov has not had beaten this season in previous competitions. – Guess, the real reason for Russian Fed not wanting Kovtun to participate at the Russian Cup was that they feared he might be beaten by Menshov and in worst case even by Voronov, which would have made Russian Fed look pretty stupid.

Gives you certainly a hint how fair the decision making process worked.

Actually I even feel for Voronov, though I don’t really like his skating. Anyways to Menshov & Voronov for skating well at Russian Cup, despite both guys for sure knew that it actually doesn't matter how they skate, as Russian Fed had already decided to send Kovtun to World. It must be hard to have a job, which is as demanding as FS, but knowing, that your performance does not count, but rather right age, politics and reputation. However, in the long term I don’t think Russian Fed is doing to themselves any favour with such course of action.

vCash
    Russia is looking to the future with their Men so that's why they are sending Kovtun. It's not like Voronov or Menshov hadn't had years after Plushenko to take the reins of the Russian Mens program an keep them competitive which they haven't. And lets face it at 25 and 30 they don't have many years left. So why not give the kid a chance? It's not like someone like Gachinski is any better in fact right now he's a disaster. That Bronze he won at Worlds in 2011 is looking more and more like a fluke. He's only 19 so he has time to turn it around but right now he can't be counted on either.
    Last edited by Jammers; 02-22-2013 at 07:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Perhaps they will send Menshov to WTT?
    They said Menshov and Voronov are going to WTT in the icenetwork article. I feel bad for Gosviani and Menshov, but on the bright side, should the ladies not get 3 spots and should Kovtun not place top 10 and get the men 2, at least they won't have to deal with that disappointment from the fed and/or the pressure to really deliver beforehand. Hopefully Leonova and Kovtun hold it together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    http://fsrussia.ru/news/450_oficialn...6VkKuSyOL2uU6w

Kovtun and Leonova named on the Worlds team.
    Yes, no surprises.
    I really like Gosviani, but I understand that Leonova's last year's Silver gives her certain priviledges. Hope Gosviani gets GP next year.
    Kovtun /Menshov is an understandable, but a sad situation. It seems that Menshov did everythig in his power to prove himself.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I'm so sad for Makarova, she's not even listed as substitute for Worlds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyinna View Post
    I'm so sad for Makarova, she's not even listed as substitute for Worlds
    To be fair, this is her second season she has not been skating well, so what would you expect?

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    To be fair, this is her second season she has not been skating well, so what would you expect?
    I can see why she's getting the cold shoulder, but she wasn't any worse than Leonova season. It's pretty clear a former World medal counts for a lot in Piseev (and the rest of the federation)'s eyes.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I thought it might be an issue of minimum score, but apparently Makarova has both scores now that they've been revised. I am thinking that not participating at all in the Russian cup final basically excluded her from consideration, given that the rest of her season was poor. The other ladies alternates were on the roster, although Biryukova withdrew. Perhaps not signing up was basically a way of her saying she declines to contend for a spot. I mean, why train just so you can possibly be second alternate at best, rather than recovering from a tough season and getting a head start on the Olympic year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I can see why she's getting the cold shoulder, but she wasn't any worse than Leonova season. It's pretty clear a former World medal counts for a lot in Piseev (and the rest of the federation)'s eyes.
    Overall, Leonova has been the more successful skater - eleven senior international medals vs. Makarova's two. I think Makarova's being dumped and Leonova isn't far behind, despite the medals. Now that Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova are finally age-eligible, the Russian Fed doesn't really need the older girls anymore.
    Last edited by Nomad; 02-22-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast