Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Ugh... I hate Gosviani's jump technique
    Good for her that she's proving herself. She went in as an alternate to Russian nats IIRC
    Third alternate! They have only limited number of competitors at Russian nationals (only 18 ladies can compete) and she was 21st in the standings. If three ladies didn't withdraw, she wouldn't be even allowed to compete at their nationals, and then she wouldn't go to Europeans. It is crazy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Plushenko is going to treat his back and start training on March 1st.
    He is nuts. If he wants to compete in Sochi, he needs to be healthy, and not make things worse.

vCash
    Why does Plushy start to train on March 1st while there is no competitions left? Rest of the skaters will have some rest, too. Couldn't he just wait until the beginning of summer for example?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    Why does Plushy start to train on March 1st while there is no competitions left? Rest of the skaters will have some rest, too. Couldn't he just wait until the beginning of summer for example?
    Actually, it may be an idea...if he's easing into it. The idea may be to get him started early and slowly, get the program work done early so that he's got it in case of injury, and then just work towards next season.

But this is Plushy we're talking about...I don't know if he knows the word "slowly".

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    I think that is the plan if he is choosing to go to Worlds; what was previously a definite "no" seems to now be a "maybe"
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    He's got a substantial tour scheduled for after Worlds, and I'd expect him to do at least light training leading up to it.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Plushenko is going to treat his back and start training on March 1st.
    Dang, N-O!

Zhenya, you've already proven you're a warrior by coming back to win your 10th Russian National Title in December (no other returning skaters can say the same thing, instead they were sidelined by injury; e.g. Evan Lysacek & Johnny Weir). And then you too at Euros.

Enough is enough, listen to your body & doctors, spinal surgery is nothing to mess with. Take time off, recuperate, maybe do some light show skating, but save your body for your *final* competitive year, the Winter Olympics in your home country for the first time in history! Next year is thee most important year, not this one, you've got nothing to prove, your record says it all, you are a LEGEND. 'nuff said

June is early enough to start preparing your new programs for next season.. Until then chill out...

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Zhenya? Wow, it must be nice to be on a personal, first-name basis with the man who is Plushenko

Oh, and a bit addicted to colored fonts and smilies, aren't we? Nothing a little ECT wouldn't cure. Perhaps sticking a fork into an outlet or something.

vCash
    You have something to add to this Russian thread about Russian skaters, Kasey, or you just going to continue to b*tch about me.

Now back to "From Russia With Love Winter 2012/13". GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RUSSIAN TEAM, WIN THE TEAM GOLD AT SOCHI!!!

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I'm pretty much with Menshov; I don't think the Russian cup final is going to mean squat, nor is any test skates they hold. Let's face it, if Plushenko feels up to going to Worlds and wants to, he will; if not, it will be Kovtun. I would be totally shocked if any of the other skaters in the mix (Menshov, Voronov or Gachinski) is even a slight consideration.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Oh, and a bit addicted to colored fonts and smilies, aren't we? Nothing a little ECT wouldn't cure. Perhaps sticking a fork into an outlet or something.

I'm pretty much with Menshov; I don't think the Russian cup final is going to mean squat, nor is any test skates they hold. Let's face it, if Plushenko feels up to going to Worlds and wants to, he will; if not, it will be Kovtun. I would be totally shocked if any of the other skaters in the mix (Menshov, Voronov or Gachinski) is even a slight consideration.
    Unfortunately, I agree with him too; the Russian fed has picked their guy and I doubt they would change their minds even if one of the other three turned up at Russian Cup with four quads. It's sad for Menshov because he certainly deserved to go. I certainly don't mind that Gachinski won't skate the rest of the season; getting this leg problem solved is the most important.

I wonder who will go to WTT? Perhaps the Russian fed could send Menshov there? It wouldn't be the same as the place he earned, of course, but it would be still be something.

vCash
    I am glad Kovtun was the highest placed Russian man at Euros. It not only vindicates the decision to send him instead of Menshov (and shut everyone up), it now solidifies his trip to Worlds (Plush really should rest - he isn't going to make top 2 at Worlds anyways and Kovtun has nearly as good a chance at making top 12).

vCash
    Zhenya? Wow, it must be nice to be on a personal, first-name basis with the man who is Plushenko
    Actually, he prefers it when people call him Evgeni Viktorovich.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Actually, he prefers it when people call him Evgeni Viktorovich.
    Which was my point. To refer to someone by a familiar name is, well let's just say, obnoxious and rude. Makes one wish for the days that such nicknames would warrant a strange site-wide blip that would change such name into the phrase IamapretentiousRussianwannabetwit. Shame that glitch was fixed...

Wouldn't Kovtun (or whomever) have to be top 10 to earn two slots for Russian men next year?

vCash
    I think you can safely bet your money on Kovtun going to Worlds. Tarasova has been justified, his FS performance was outstanding jump-wise. He has the momentum this season.

As far as Ladies go, I really hope Gosviani gets sent. Her performance at Euros was very respectable and she has earned her spot, IMO.

vCash
    Which was my point. To refer to someone by a familiar name is, well let's just say, obnoxious and rude. Makes one wish for the days that such nicknames would warrant a strange site-wide blip that would change such name into the phrase IamapretentiousRussianwannabetwit. Shame that glitch was fixed...
    C'mon! When some friends of mine met him, they called him Plushy and they still got autographs, pictures and stuff. I called him Zhenya and Evgeni too, how should I call a guy who is my age, Plushenko or not Plushenko?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    As far as Ladies go, I really hope Gosviani gets sent. Her performance at Euros was very respectable and she has earned her spot, IMO.
    Better than anything Leonova has done since 2012 Worlds, and that's 5 (sucky) competitions ago.

My view is, clearly neither Gosviani nor Leonova are going to be counted on to help with keeping 3 spots for Sochi, so might as well go with the one who earned her trip.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    C'mon! When some friends of mine met him, they called him Plushy and they still got autographs, pictures and stuff. I called him Zhenya and Evgeni too, how should I call a guy who is my age, Plushenko or not Plushenko?
    Isn't calling Plushenko "Zhenya" the same as calling Gordeeva "Katia" or Zhulin "Sasha," which are quite common here?

I am sure Kovtun is going to worlds. If Plushenko withdraws after the SP again, it would be a complete waste of the one spot.

Leonova has a higher world standing and will skate in the last SP groups. I would do a test skate and consider sending her only if she skates well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Isn't calling Plushenko "Zhenya" the same as calling Gordeeva "Katia" or Zhulin "Sasha," which are quite common here?
    If I'm not mistaken, Gordeeva actually uses the diminutive "Katia" in her public life, in the same way that John Garvin Weir-Voronov uses the diminutive "Johnny." I'm not sure about Zhulin, but I don't believe he uses the diminutive "Sasha" in the same way.

Generally speaking, friends and acquaintances call each other by first names and patronymics ("Evgeni Viktorovich"). Very close friends and relatives use diminutives ("Zhenya"). To call someone you have never met or scarcely know "Zhenya" when he doesn't call himself that in his public life would be akin to calling Stephen Carriere "Stevie."

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Generally speaking, friends and acquaintances call each other by first names and patronymics ("Evgeni Viktorovich"). Very close friends and relatives use diminutives ("Zhenya"). To call someone you have never met or scarcely know "Zhenya" when he doesn't call himself that in his public life would be akin to calling Stephen Carriere "Stevie."
    Or Richard Dornbush "Ricky." From what I've read, Plushenko does not mind when he's called Zhenya by the fans, so it is interesting how so many posters get offended by it.

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast