Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I wonder if Liza even needs to medal at GPF to get a bye to Euros. I mean, none of the other ladies in Russia were even close to making it, besides Lip, who is too young and now injured anyways, so as long as Liza doesn't tank at GPF, I think she might well get a bye to Euros anyway. If Leonova and Sotnikova can pull themselves together by Russian Nats, they are the logical two to accompany her, if not it will come down to the others, but really, the content the likes of Makarova, Korobeynikova, and Biryukova have shown on the GP this season really isn't worthy of a Euros or World birth in a place with such a deep field like Russia. If Korobeynikova could start attempting the same content as last season and be consistent with it, that would be another story, but that's a big if. Also if Shelepen is even recovered she appears to now be a non-factor as her skating, jumping, and consistency appears to have regressed since going to Sokolovskaya. I doubt she can be back to her 2011 form by Nats and even if she could, her PCS and SP are generally issues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post

YEAH!
    vCash
    Julia That really sucks, with no potential for Euros and Worlds this was her last opportunity to compete senior internationally this season.

vCash
    Does it mean Mirai goes to GPF?

Never mind. Just saw that Christina Gao will be Julia's replacement. I am bummed that Julia had to withdraw.

vCash
    Christina Gao is the first alternate (Nagasu is the 2nd alt.) - article in English on Lipnitskaia's injury withdrawal from the GPF: http://en.rsport.ru/other_sports/201...633449572.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I do agree that, barring complete disaster/injury, Liza will be going to Euros/Worlds. My interest is in the other spots. Sot's issues seem to be growing and Leonova seems off this year Makarova seems her same-old self and the regression of the Polina's saddens me. Russian Nats could be as crazy as ever

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    According to an article on the Federation website, on Wednesday in practice Julia fell on the entry into a spin, hit her chin and suffered a light concussion. The doctors advised her not to compete.

Article: fsrussia.ru/news/302_yuliya-lipnickaya-snyalas-s-finala-gran-pri/
    Kid must be hurt pretty bad for her / the Rus Fed to decide to have her miss out competing on Sochi ice.

vCash
    I must have missed why she isn't planning on going to nationals. I can se why she had to wd from Sochi but she should be fine by nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I must have missed why she isn't planning on going to nationals. I can se why she had to wd from Sochi but she should be fine by nationals.
    Russian Nationals is a lot earlier than in Nations like the US, usually around Christmastime so just a couple weeks after the GPF. If she's battling a cold, going to that many competitions so close together (TEB, GPF, Nationals) could wear her out and affect her for the rest of the season. I think Mishin is saying that competing so much last season is what hurt Liza at Nationals, initially he said if she doesn't make GPF that may be for the best, but she ended up making it and where it is in Sochi and she's the only age-eligible Russian to qualify, it's important she competes and not withdraw, but because she has decided to make this decision, she may be very tired after and/or her immune system further weakened, meaning it's unlikely she'd be in great condition to compete at Nationals almost directly afterward, so she could place like 6th again like last season. If she skates well at GPF, fed might just say she can go to Euros and does not have to compete at Nationals, then Liza gets a chance to rest and doesn't have to worry about not placing top 3 because she's sick or tired - everyone else in the field would have had plenty of time to rest and repair b/c they did not make GPF, so that gives them advantage, but we saw on the GP Liza is head and shoulders ahead of the rest (besides Julia) at this point, so barring disaster at GPF, that should be enough to punch her ticket to Euros (esp. b/c there are 3 spots, if there were only 2 it might be different) and skipping Nationals may allow her to perform better once there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Also if Shelepen is even recovered she appears to now be a non-factor as her skating, jumping, and consistency appears to have regressed since going to Sokolovskaya. I doubt she can be back to her 2011 form by Nats and even if she could, her PCS and SP are generally issues.
    I don't think it is fair to say this. Polina has done reasonably well in her first senior B competition, and from then on it went downhill, but it was because she was injured. There was some opening rink in Sochi exhibition/small Russian internal competition and she was made to skate there despite her injury, so it is a bit harsh to blame her that she then messed up her first GP event and withdrew from the second one. She shouldn't have skated in the event in Sochi, heal and then have stronger GP event. Unfortunately the skating politics...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Kid must be hurt pretty bad for her / the Rus Fed to decide to have her miss out competing on Sochi ice.
    Maybe not. I don't think for Russians it is so important to compete in GPF on Sochi ice, because their skating Federation can organise a number of competition there to give them chance to get to know the venue and feel there comfortable. I think it is more important from skaters from other countries because they may not have any other opportunities to get used to the venue.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Maybe not. I don't think for Russians it is so important to compete in GPF on Sochi ice, because their skating Federation can organise a number of competition there to give them chance to get to know the venue and feel there comfortable. I think it is more important from skaters from other countries because they may not have any other opportunities to get used to the venue.
    Exactly: as long as the facility is finished (enough), they can do test skates, training camps, etc. there. Russian Nationals 2013 might be held too late, as it might clash with the Olympic preparations, but it might also be a great operational beta test.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 12-01-2012 at 03:32 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Except she wouldn't be facing Wagner or Asada or Suzuki at those domestic competitions.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Except she wouldn't be facing Wagner or Asada or Suzuki at those domestic competitions.
    Because she would never ever face them at other comps
    Just won't happen on Sochi ice...
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Julia needs to get all of the international high level experience she can before the Olympics, and that's why GPF is important. That it takes place in Sochi would hopefully have given her extra fan support and drive to do well, which helps. A GPF medal would have been a boost for next season. But I know most people here think she sucks anyway and therefore shouldn't be worried about her chances for the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Julia needs to get all of the international high level experience she can before the Olympics, and that's why GPF is important. That it takes place in Sochi would hopefully have given her extra fan support and drive to do well, which helps. A GPF medal would have been a boost for next season. But I know most people here think she sucks anyway and therefore shouldn't be worried about her chances for the Olympics.
    Well she needs all the experience she can get it I think its good they are protecting her. She still made the GPF. And has next year to establish herself too.

vCash
    I don't think she sucks at all. She is lovely, talented, and driven. All she needs is some experience and some improvement in her jumps. Next year's GP series should do that for her. I thought she had a very good chance of medalling at this year's GPF, and it's hard to say what shape her body will be in next year, so it's a pity that she missed this opportunity. Right now she, Liza, and Adelina are the top 3 ladies in Russia. Right now I don't see anyone else catching up with these three. Elena Radionova is too young to go to the Olympics.

vCash
    Julia needs to get all of the international high level experience she can before the Olympics
    Not if she's recovering from a concussion, she doesn't. A concussion is a brain injury, and recovery can take weeks or even months. During that time, she should be off the ice.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If she were healthy, and her coach was doing one of the Linichuk-lite manipulations, I would think it was a bad idea to pull her, but if she's injured, I'm not sure what the advantage would be.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    If she were healthy, and her coach was doing one of the Linichuk-lite manipulations, I would think it was a bad idea to pull her, but if she's injured, I'm not sure what the advantage would be.
    She is clearly injured, and the advantage of pulling out is that it will help her heal, and not risk her future.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast