Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Musical skaters?

Inspired by watching one of Ilia Kulik's show programs again (the name escapes me, I think it was Rendezvous or similar) where he plays the piano, and Joshua Farris' pleased little Tweet about learning "Silent Night" on the guitar...

Which skaters have musical talent as well? I know of a few, Dolensky, Chan, I think, and Brown who play the piano as well, but what other instruments do we know of?

"Skating's Got Talent"?

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    IIRC, Sarah Hughes played the violin.

Nathan Chen plays the piano.

vCash
    I remember them saying Caroline Zhang plays (played) the violin. Bebe Liang was an accomplished pianist; as is Yasmin Siraj.

Here's Yasmin playing Chopin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5haZS_D_9Q

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I remember them saying Caroline Zhang plays (played) the violin. Bebe Liang was an accomplished pianist; as is Yasmin Siraj.

Here's Yasmin playing Chopin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5haZS_D_9Q
    Caroline did play violin as well as the piano.

vCash
    Armin Mahbanoozadeh has played piano pieces as tributes to Mao Asada

vCash
    Charlie White played (plays?) the violin. His ISU bio references him playing in a string quartet in high school: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00006260.htm

YEAH!
    vCash
    Gwendal plays piano. Once, when he was injured, he played while Marina skated solo.

vCash
    Last edited by vivika1982; 11-27-2012 at 04:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vivika1982 View Post
    If we go with unknown french skaters. Julien Lefebvre played something (I don't remember what) on several gala for Français Volants Shows. And Vivien Rolland as well, IIRC

vCash
    Nathan Chen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh4dG52cfwY piano. He's a prodigy in everything he attempts!

vCash
    Andrea Gardiner was a violinist.

vCash
    Dornbush plays guitar (see Skating mag. Nov. '11)

vCash
    I don't know if Jeremy plays a musical instrument, but he seems to understand music very well, and he often cuts his own music for skating. He's certainly a great interpreter of music on the ice.

vCash
    I forgot to mention this earlier: Loren Galler-Rabinowitz plays the piano, and I believe she even used it in the talent portion of the Miss America pageant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I don't know if Jeremy plays a musical instrument, but he seems to understand music very well, and he often cuts his own music for skating. He's certainly a great interpreter of music on the ice.
    Manleywoman did a skate cast with Jeremy's mom who says he "can't play a musical instrument to save his life." She did mention that he has a gift with editing his music, however.
    http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-39-allison-scott/

vCash
    i just want to add even if one can play an instrument, that does not make them musical. The most musical ones are the ones who can understand the music well and convey the music to his/her audience through whatever format they choose with meaning, purpose, emotions and expressions that does not appear on paper, not necessarily in choice of instruments or techniques.

Otherwise what is the difference between 10 master pianist who can all technically play a faultless rendition of the same masterworks, but only one of them is the best?

(Oh yeah and Jeremy is very musical )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Manleywoman did a skate cast with Jeremy's mom who says he "can't play a musical instrument to save his life." She did mention that he has a gift with editing his music, however.
    http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-39-allison-scott/
    Yes, that's where I first learned that Jeremy often selects and edits his own music. However, I forgot about the part where his Mom said he can't play an instrument "to save his life." Fortunately, Jeremy doesn't have to play one to mesmerize an audience with his gorgeous musicality on ice.

vCash

Oy. I guess I should really think more before I make thread titles. I was curious about skaters who played instruments. Not skaters with great musicality. I thought I made that pretty clear in the opening post anyway.

So far, the list looks like this:

Guitar: Farris, Agosto, Dornbush

Piano: Dolensky, Brown, Chan, Chen, Kulik, Siraj, Liang, Armin, Gwendal, Galler-Rabinowitz, Gazave

Violin: Hughes, Zhang, White, Gardiner

vCash
    Mira Leung was an accomplished pianist, but she wasn't a particularly musical skater.

vCash
    I don't know if Jeremy plays a musical instrument, but he seems to understand music very well
    When I saw the thread title, I also thought it was asking whose skating reflects a musicality rather than who plays a musical instrument. Kulik, Orser, Browning, Petrenko would be high on this list. Nicole Bobek surpases any lady skater I've ever seen for feeling and interpreting music on the ice.

BTW, Kulik does not actually play the piano. He just taught himself to pick out the notes when he was making this song. Still, to start composing music without any formal training shows a pretty strong musical ability in itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast