Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Emanuel Sandhu's message to Korean fans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwFNFio_oao

vCash
    Anyone have access to Eman's FP? (Thanks either way.)
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Anyone have access to Eman's FP? (Thanks either way.)
    my friend recorded it but hasnt posted on youtube yet

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Any chance we see him competing next season? I hope so.
    I do, too. And I'd love to see him compete internationally - there are more than enough B events that he could go to.

on the rink doing synchronized spirals with Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Shawn Sawyer, Alissa Czisny, Rohene Ward, Yukina Ota, Caroline Zhang & Mirai Nagasu
    vCash
    His SP looked great & of course his spins were beautiful. Im glad to see him skate again I hope he gets some funding, finds a choreographer(cough..Jeffrey Buttle..cough), a coach, and we get to see him skate some more

vCash
    Every moment he is on that ice is so precious. He's such a brave star!

Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    Emanuel Sandhu's message to Korean fans!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwFNFio_oao
    Wow, that's amazing. Does he have a big fan base in Korea?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Every moment he is on that ice is so precious. He's such a brave star!

Wow, that's amazing. Does he have a big fan base in Korea?
    Actually he is pretty famous among figure skating fans in Korea.
    His nickname is "Goong Shin" which translates to "Hip God". (See http://i48.tinypic.com/2iaa3bm.jpg for the reason.)
    They like his powerful, unique and stylish skills. Hope to see him in Korea

vCash
    Is he planning on continuing to compete or was this just a one time thing?

vCash
    I was there for both SP & LP-- first time seeing Emanuel live. I've heard commentators use that hyberbolic "they have cast a spell on this audience," but never really got it. His LP, even with the fall, was just that. It was such a treat to see him live, especially such great programs of his.

I admit I'm a huge sucker for Emanuel. I think it would be wonderful if he continued, but regardless I hope he's happy with how this competition went.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

Quadless
    vCash
    Here's Sandhu's free skate (different version than the one posted in the K&C thread).
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    He seemed subdued at practice, but looked so happy and gratified at the very warm response he received from the audience.

I was surprised and pleased to see him at the gala practice; kudos to SC for inviting him to participate in the gala, a very nice mark of respect for a former champion. It was a bit jarring to see him practicing out there with the young teenagers like Chartrand and Daleman - it highlighted the generational change in the sport. He mostly chatted with Patrick, and clearly loved practicing the finale choreo - he was totally into the dancing. He seemed completely in his element during the gala, more so than during competition.

At this point his tech content isn't competitive and he knows that, so whether he plans to continue and train more seriously, or just wanted the experience of competing again it's hard to say. Very pleased to see him back (whatever his plans may be) and to see him welcomed so warmly. It would be great to see him do shows if he chooses not to compete further.

vCash
    With an 11th overall finish, is he likely to get any assignments next year if he chooses to continue?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Even though Sandhu had a previously high 5th place finish in 2006 and was seeded for the 2006-7 Grand Prix, I don't think he qualifies as a "Comeback skater", which is defined as ("placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at an ISU Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons" [emphasis added]. He competed subsequently at 2007 Worlds and finished 16th, which should disqualify him if the ISU meant what's in the GP Announcement literally. Weir and Ando, two skaters who've used the provision, were Top 6 at their last WC's before applying.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    At the age of 32, I would think competing this season is just a one time thing. As much as I love his skating, I think it would be awesome if he started coaching, or doing choreography or even dance/ballet training. He could really be a benefit to skaters in may ways. I say that knowing nothing about what he is currently doing.....he must have some sort of job to support himself. Does anyone know?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Even though Sandhu had a previously high 5th place finish in 2006 and was seeded for the 2006-7 Grand Prix, I don't think he qualifies as a "Comeback skater", which is defined as ("placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at an ISU Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons" [emphasis added]. He competed subsequently at 2007 Worlds and finished 16th, which should disqualify him if the ISU meant what's in the GP Announcement literally. Weir and Ando, two skaters who've used the provision, were Top 6 at their last WC's before applying.
    "Subsequently" could potentially be viewed as "later" rather than "in immediate succession", if it is interpreted more loosely. Is there any precedent for that re: comeback skaters?

vCash
    It was definitely a comeback, whether or not the ISU agrees.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Johnny Weir was indeed a comeback skater based on finishing 3rd in 2008 (and top 6 several times before). He still competed after that, but qualified as a comeback skater because he did miss subsequent seasons - just not the ones immediately subsequent. It doesn't say no subsequent Worlds, after all. So in theory, I think this rule would apply to Sandhu. Whether he knows about it, and would actually want to do it, is another matter.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    That would be great for Sandhu if they did not mean subsequent Worlds. Skate Canada would have to submit his name. I think that would be fair, since they "retired" him from the GP previously by not submitting his name when he would have been eligible.

There was lot of talk on TSN/CTV about how he might be looking for closure and how this might be a one-off thing. One of the commentators said he missed being on the ice, and this could be an avenue to be invited to shows. Katherine Healey went back and forth between skating and dance. Sandhu might be able to combine the two.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    That Sandhu received low scores in PE and IN at the nationals is a piercing manifestation of the judging system's sophistry. His beautiful, mesmerizing performances were simply a luxurious joy to watch.

vCash
    I’m really fond of Sandhu's performances at Canadian Championships. It was like he was oozing joy about being able to compete and skate at that level again. Very inspiring to watch. Liked it better than many of his performances with much more difficult content. Just proof that skating is not all about jumps.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast