Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    It was so nice to see a proper camel spin position again. None of the top men in the world have a great camel position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    It may have been popularized by Eman, but he sure as heck didn't invent it. When I was a young skater, almost 20 years ago, people were doing the spin.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Canada has three Men's spots at Worlds, and, so far, only three Canadian Men have met the TES minimums: Chan, Reynolds, and Rogozine, both last season and so far this season. Balde made the SP TES minimum and needs another 3 points for the FS.

Ten, in his lone event (USIC) at the very beginning of the season was within 4 points of the SP minimum, but was far off the FS minimum. If the ISU lowers the TES minimums, Balde has a very good chance, with a 62, of making a new FS minimum.

Considering the low TES for his SP, I don't think Sandhu got much of a bump from Canadian judges and that Reynolds' (at Nepala), Rogozine's, and Gordon's SP scores a similar range are comparable. Rogozine, who had a strong competition and a weak one, however, may be the last man standing by default, if the ISU doesn't lower the TES minimums and no one else makes them before Worlds at a Senior B or 4C's. Sandhu's not close to making the 35 TES SP minimum at this point. In the FS, his TES were close to Ten's at USIC, and his total a few points higher, but neither was close to the TES FS minimum.

It looks to me that if the trends so far this season hold, Balde and Rogozine will be vying for the third Men's spot. Rogozine's higher FS score was higher than Balde's higest; Balde's lower FS score was higher than Rogozine's lowest.

I can't help but think that Sandhu's goal is to make the national team and all that entails with assignments, training camps, and funding, and that Sandhu and Ten will be vying for the last spot on the National team, unless Gordon knocks both of them out. Sandhu reportedly only spent a week or so on his programs before Challenges, and there's a huge upside for him to have four weeks to work it out; I'm not sure how Ten is feeling physically, but he did tweet a month or two ago that he got new boots and implied they solved his boot-related problems/pain. They're both considered artistic skaters.

It's possible that Skate Canada will give Sandhu a McKayla Maroney-like "We're not impressed," if Sandhu and Ten are skating at about the same level. Ten might have been inconsistent due to injuries, but he's coached by Joanne Macleod, and I'd expect Skate Canada to take that into consideration, as opposed to a skater who's been in and out, and wasn't a particularly reliable competitor (compared to his potential) when he was in. National Team is an investment.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 12-17-2012 at 04:20 AM. Reason: to clarify which "he".
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I hope that the best 5 men will make the team and that's it. I love Ten but for the past 2-3 years injuries is been a huge factor but if i recall correctly before that he was not a consistant skater.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'm hoping that fixing his boot problem helps him as much as it's helped Kozuka this year. Last year Kozuka had boot problems, and they created injuries. I don't know if Ten's boots contributed to his, but it's very difficult to recover when the equipment is failing. All of this impacts confidence, and I hope he's regained some.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    [QUOTE=kwanfan1818;3772902]Canada has three Men's spots at Worlds, and, so far, only three Canadian Men have met the TES minimums: Chan, Reynolds, and Rogozine, both last season and so far this season. Balde made the SP TES minimum and needs another 3 points for the FS.

I don't really understand the minimal score system. I would assume that a skater needs to meet the minimum scores for both the SP and the LP? And that scores at Nationals must count towards meeting them?

if the ISU doesn't lower the TES minimums and no one else makes them before Worlds at a Senior B or 4C's. Sandhu's not close to making the 35 TES SP minimum at this point. In the FS, his TES were close to Ten's at USIC, and his total a few points higher, but neither was close to the TES FS minimum.

It looks to me that if the trends so far this season hold, Balde and Rogozine will be vying for the third Men's spot. Rogozine's higher FS score was higher than Balde's higest; Balde's lower FS score was higher than Rogozine's lowest.
    Is the ISU considering lowering the score?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I don't really understand the minimal score system. I would assume that a skater needs to meet the minimum scores for both the SP and the LP?
    Yes. There are separate minimums for each discipline for each phase and for each type of championship (Worlds, 4C's/Euros, Jr. Worlds). Men must earn at least 35 in TES in the SP and at least 65 in the FS by the time Worlds starts in order to compete in London.

And that scores at Nationals must count towards meeting them?
    No, only international competitions from this season and last season. (Jr. and Sr. B's, GP/JGP, GPF, JGPF, championships, Youth Olympic Games [2012]). A skater/team can earn each in a different competition and/or in a different season. The top skaters/teams have met them in all or almost all of their events.

Only Chan, Reynolds, and Rogozine have made the Worlds minimums for both programs as of today. (Repeatedly in each case.) Balde has made the Worlds SP minimum, but is several points shy of the Worlds FS Minimum. There are still more international events, Euros, and 4C's at which a skater can earn them.

The minimums for 4C's are 25 for SP and 45 for the FS. Balde, Gordon, Firus, and Ten have made both of these minimums this season for 4C's and are age-eligible. The minimums for Men for Jr. Worlds are 20 for the SP and 40 for the FS. Nam Nyugen and Roman Sandovsky have made both; I know they're too young for Sr. Championships.)

Were Sandhu to place high enough to earn a spot at 4C's, he'd need to do a Senior B before 4C's and earn the minimums, because he doesn't have any international scores. The only one who was exempted was Plushenko for last year's Euros.

Is the ISU considering lowering the score?
    Since the official reason for setting them so high in the first place is to eliminate the quali rounds, they may not even have enough eligible skaters to fill the roster, so they said in the announcement (1742) that they'd consider re-adjusting the score if they didn't have enough participants.

Presumably, if they do, they'd only do it enough to get the size of the field they want.

vCash
    Thanks for the explanation kwanfan1818.

If any of Balde, Gordon, Firus and Ten get spots at 4Cs, they would need to earn the Worlds minimum scores there to qualify for Worlds?
    Last edited by Japanfan; 12-18-2012 at 12:12 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    At 4C's or at a Senior B before Worlds. Countries get to name skaters and substitutes, and they could name someone without a minimum score to the team provisionally, with the caveat they need to make the minimum before Worlds or one of the substitutes skates.

Can Nats are January 13-20. For singles there are the following competitions at which a skater/team could earn the TES minimums before or after changes, if any, are announced:

• The Nordics (singles, all countries eligible except for Novice)
    • 4C's
    • Bavarian Open (all disciplines)
    • Dragon Trophy & Tivoli Cup (singles)
    • Winter Euro Youth Fest (Jr. Ladies and Jr. Men)
    • Hellmut Siebt Memorial (singles)
    • 1st Citta di Torino Trophy (singles and dance)
    • Challenge Cup 2013 (singles and pairs)

The only limits to how many singles can enter are 1. no concurrent or over-lapping events and 2. the event has to be held and have enough international judges and participants from enough different countries. The only two with all disciplines (4C's and Bavarian Open) are concurrent. There's one other with Pairs and one other with Dance.

Last year, Skate Canada sent its top three to 4C's: Chan, Reynolds, and Ten. (Minimums were low for Worlds, and weren't an issue.) If, for example, Rogozine were to come in fifth or sixth at Canadian Nationals -- he was 5th last year, less than a point ahead of 6th place Firus -- and some combination of Balde, Sandhu, Gordon, Ten, and Firus ended up in 3rd or 4th or 3rd-5th, then Skate Canada would have to decide whether to just send 1,2,3 to 4C's, and if No. 3 doesn't make the minimums (adjusted minimums if they're adjusted), either keep sending him to other Senior B's or default to Rogozine. Skate Canada could also use 4C's as a skate off, like they did for Phaneuf and Lacoste last year, and skip No. 2, like Japan did last year for both Men and Ladies, or they could send one team to 4C's and another to the Bavarian Open or a later Senior B. I guess they could always refuse to send a third man, but that would get ugly, because if 3,4,5 weren't age qualified, they'd probably send 6, like Russia has done in Ladies, and I don't see why minimums aren't like any other qualification barrier.

Of course, Rogozine could make it easy for them and make the podium.

1742 says,

However, if it became evident that the number of entries based on the Minimum Total Technical Scores listed below would be significantly higher or lower than expected, the ISU Council reserves the right to subsequently slightly re-adjust the Minimum Total Technical Scores in order to achieve the above-mentioned objective [to limit entries to avoid the preliminary rounds].
    I thought it also gave a time frame for making the change -- [x amount of time] before entries are due, which is three weeks before Worlds -- but I don't see it here, and it might be written somewhere else. 4C's is 4.5 weeks before Worlds, so I'd think any changes would be announced after 4C's, when they see how many have qualified.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Eman is the one who made it famous, and when younger skaters do it today, it's because of him
    And you know this how?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Sylvia posted on the original TES Minimums announcement thread:

Posted on the ISU site today:
    17 December 2012

Further to ISU Communication No. 1742, item 7, ISU Communication 1767, item 7 and internal consultations among all competent ISU bodies, it is herewith confirmed that the Minimum Total Technical Scores for the ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2013 remain as stated in ISU Communication No. 1742, item 7, namely:

MEN SP 25,00 FS 45,00
    LADIES SP 20,00 FS 36,00
    PAIR SKATING SP 20,00 FS 36,00
    ICE DANCE SD 18,00 FD 28,00

(SP = Short Program – SD = Short Dance – FS = Free Skating – FD = Free Dance)

For the subsequent ISU Championships (ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships and ISU World Figure Skating Championships) the same evaluation is being made and the conclusions will be communicated in due time, namely 2 weeks before the entry deadline of each 2013 Championships.
    That should mean about five weeks before Worlds, or just after 4C's, for the World TES minimums and the beginning of January for 4C's, which would only impact Sandhu at this point, since the other age-eligible Canadian Men in contention have the 4C's minimum.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    And you know this how?
    Because it makes sense. If you believe that young skaters are in fact copying an Olympian from 25 years ago, or some guy who did it in a club years before that, be my guest.

vCash
    Re-posting from the Canadians forum in Kiss and Cry:
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Re-posting from the Canadians forum in Kiss and Cry:
    Like his attitude .. way to go, Eman.

vCash
    Here's wishing the beautiful artistic Emanuel Sandhu the best at Canadian Nationals!

It's been soooo long, can't wait till a video appears of his showing at the aforementioned.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I love love LOVE his skating.. I wish him the best

vCash
    Do you know how popular Sandhu is among figure skating fans in Korea?

http://paulshin.ca/temp/sandhu.html

Happily succumbing to the FSU productivity virus.
    vCash
    Dear Emanuel,

Welcome back. Your lines and flair have been missed. Please bring some SYTYCD choreographers along for the ride next season. *cough* Sean Cheesman *cough*

vCash
    I loved the smile on his face as he took his opening position tonight for the short program. So very happy for him!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast