Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 227
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,737
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    And I imagine he, like so many others (aka Johnny Weir), is motivated to return to the Olympics to add that oh so precious elusive Olympic Team Medal to his resume.

    I wouldn't put it past him to succeed in this endeavor, to earn that much coveted second spot. Kevin Reynolds, beware...
    Well, there's always the team event... also, I thought the Canadian men had three spots? At least for this year's Worlds, that is.

  2. #62
    Internet Beyotch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    15,813
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    23556
    Quote Originally Posted by jamcan View Post
    I hope SC comprehends how many chances this guy has already had. Time for someone else to see how they can do imo.
    I am always mystified by comments such as these. Are you saying that, if Sandu shows up, skates better than most of the field and so would qualify to move on, that the judges should pretend he didn't and mark him down because it's "time for someone else to see how they can do."

    It's a sport. The other guys show what else they can do by showing up and beating him.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

  3. #63
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    I wouldn't put it past him to succeed in this endeavor, to earn that much coveted second spot.
    I dare say that spot #3 is also covetous.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamcan View Post
    Time for someone else to see how they can do imo.
    That exists every time any skater steps foot (skate) on competitive ice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    But I admit I'm a sucker for Sandhu.
    I wanted to say that, but couldn't quite find the correct wording...
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  4. #64

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,575
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Sandhu with his costume and program from 99 Nationals...
    His wiki says this classical medley FS is:
    Violin concerto (1st movement) by Bruch
    Piano concerto n°2 (2nd movement) by Dmitri Shostakovich
    Violin concerto (3rd movement) by Pyotr Tchaikovsky

    Sandhu scored 116.73 in his FS, 173.19 total and finished 5th at Challenge, qualifying for Canadian Nationals. His jumps: 3Lo, 3F2T, 1Lz, 3Lo2T, 2A, 3F, 3T(turnout)2T2T, plus a lovely forward to back spiral sequence to spread eagle in the middle. Not surpringly, his spin and footwork levels are low, but I enjoyed watching him skate - link to Senior Men's FS protocols: http://results.skatecanada.ca/2012-2...gesDetails.pdf
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,868
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4947
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    And I imagine he, like so many others (aka Johnny Weir), is motivated to return to the Olympics to add that oh so precious elusive Olympic Team Medal to his resume.

    I wouldn't put it past him to succeed in this endeavor, to earn that much coveted second spot. Kevin Reynolds, beware...
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Having him on the World Team could be ... interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamcan View Post
    I hope SC comprehends how many chances this guy has already had. Time for someone else to see how they can do imo.
    I think people are getting ahead of themselves with comments like these. The nature of this comeback doesn't exactly scream "trying to make the World team" or "trying for an Olympic medal" - there was zero publicity (unless you count someone noticing his name on a starting order), he doesn't have a coach, he used old costumes and programs (pre-COP programs), he has supposedly done very limited training, etc. Now things could change, but he seemed reasonably pleased with a 56 in the short and with his 5 triple long program, which also seems like a fairly modest success.

    Also, I thought that the team event at the Olympics only had one single skater per discipline, and that the two for singles was only at the World Team Trophy. In which case, Eman would only have a chance if Chan suffers a serious injury.

    Anyway, I enjoyed watching him at Challenge, it was nice to be able to watch him without being too stressed about the results. While he was very slow (and clearly lacked a bit of stamina), he hasn't lost his gorgeous positions (camel spin in particular was ) or his deep edges. More power to him for being able to qualify for Canadians after such a long layoff.

  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,850
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree, Erin. Was nice to see him and he didn't look out of place. Modest elements and needs some coaching on how to get levels, but as I said he fit in.

    He's no where near being able to compete for even a spot on the national team. He's only doing up to the flip right now, but I'm sure the lutz is there somewhere. I'm expecting him to be pretty nervous for nationals and not skate much better. Top 10 or 8 would be a good result. To make the national team he'll need to really step up and add the 3A. Might even get him to some B internationals to get a qualifying score for next year. Kind of a long shot there though.

    I think it's all about next year though if this is a serious comeback.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,737
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Also, I thought that the team event at the Olympics only had one single skater per discipline, and that the two for singles was only at the World Team Trophy. In which case, Eman would only have a chance if Chan suffers a serious injury.
    My understanding is that if you have more than one qualified skater at the Olympics, you can have one skater (team) skate the SP and another in the LP/FD. I may be wrong about this, though.

    I agree with your take on Sandhu's comeback. I don't know what his goals are, but he seems to be very low-key about it.

    ETA: here's what Sandhu had to say about returning to competition.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 12-10-2012 at 07:40 AM.

  8. #68
    Canadian ladies über
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm on the fast track!
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,292
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5605
    That's the first and only link with any information from Sandhu himself about his comeback. I did a google news search last night and there was nothing. I will be curious to see how much media attention he will have at the Canadian Championships. If he can get the lutz, manage to do 7 triples and get his spin levels higher, I could see him sneaking in for a top 5. Good on him for coming back and wanting to possibly end his career on better terms.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In Canuck Land, hey!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,819
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2416
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    My understanding is that if you have more than one qualified skater at the Olympics, you can have one skater (team) skate the SP and another in the LP/FD. I may be wrong about this, though.

    I agree with your take on Sandhu's comeback. I don't know what his goals are, but he seems to be very low-key about it.

    ETA: here's what Sandhu had to say about returning to competition.
    Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed what Eman had to say. He seemed thoughful and grown-up. Yeah, I know, he's over 30 but I've met some people who are over 50 and are still acting/speaking as though they were in their early 20's -- brash and bravado. Hmmmm ... maybe I really should try to make it to Canadians this season.
    Crazy about sports!

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,868
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4947
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    He's only doing up to the flip right now, but I'm sure the lutz is there somewhere. I'm expecting him to be pretty nervous for nationals and not skate much better. Top 10 or 8 would be a good result.
    I'm pretty sure that the popped lutz was supposed to be a triple, so I think he has it but just didn't land it in the program. I can't remember if he landed it on warm-up or not, I was probably texting during the warm-up so I missed lots. I agree that Top 10 or 8 would be a good result for him at Nationals - he's basically qualified in 10th once you add in Firus, Rogozine, Ten, Reynolds, and Chan so I think any improvement on that would be good enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    My understanding is that if you have more than one qualified skater at the Olympics, you can have one skater (team) skate the SP and another in the LP/FD. I may be wrong about this, though.
    Interesting, I didn't know that. I still don't see Canada putting in anyone for Chan in either program unless they are wanting to rest him for his singles event.

    ETA: here's what Sandhu had to say about returning to competition.
    Thanks - very interesting to hear what he has to say and I agree that he sounds like he's grown up a bit. Good for him for wanting to go out on his own terms this time.

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,850
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Interesting that the article said he only worked on his programs a week before he want to Regina. On one hand I'd say "awesome job" for that amount of practice time. On the other hand I question why he didn't start sooner. He's been on the entry list for Regina for weeks so I have to assume it's not like he just decided a week before to enter. *shrug*

    Still the article is good and it seems he wants to go out the way he wants. I'm not expecting a 3A attempt in Mississauga but I'm sure he'll decide if he stays in one more year based on how things go there. He'll be pretty nervous.

    I'll also add that if he was going to recycle old programs I think he picked two ones to resurrect. Tango was also very good but he can't skate up to it right now so I understand why he didn't pick it.

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Igloo
    Posts
    27
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I am always mystified by comments such as these. Are you saying that, if Sandu shows up, skates better than most of the field and so would qualify to move on, that the judges should pretend he didn't and mark him down because it's "time for someone else to see how they can do."

    It's a sport. The other guys show what else they can do by showing up and beating him.
    not at all what I was saying. Obviously the judges will judge what's in front of them at the time. Just saying....as far as support from SC (financially and assignments) perhaps he's had his chances already.

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Igloo
    Posts
    27
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I also want to commend Eman for trying to live his dream. A comeback is very hard! I do think he 'missed the boat' on his dream while it was still attainable. Just my thoughts of course. Wouldn't we all love to relive an opportunity lost?

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Getting drunk with Athos
    Posts
    5,006
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33935
    Quote Originally Posted by jamcan View Post
    I also want to commend Eman for trying to live his dream. A comeback is very hard! I do think he 'missed the boat' on his dream while it was still attainable. Just my thoughts of course. Wouldn't we all love to relive an opportunity lost?
    From what he said in the article, it didn't sound like he had specific placement goals; just trying to skate for himself, because he wanted to recapture the pure joy of the sport and seeing where that takes him. In many ways similar to what Elayne Zayak did when she came back to US Nationals in 94 or 95. I don't see any part of this would be unattainable...

  15. #75
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,351
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Cdns audiences can be a very warm and embracing bunch. If a skater goes out and does their personal best and really sells the program, the audience will show their support regardless of placement. Names that the crowd knows from year to year or from the past are also more than welcome. I think if Eman makes it to Canadians and lays down two solid programs and really skates his heart out, the audience will be on their feet and supporting him fully.

    And maybe that's all that he really -and realistically - wants.

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Igloo
    Posts
    27
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    From what he said in the article, it didn't sound like he had specific placement goals; just trying to skate for himself, because he wanted to recapture the pure joy of the sport and seeing where that takes him. In many ways similar to what Elayne Zayak did when she came back to US Nationals in 94 or 95. I don't see any part of this would be unattainable...
    agreed if that truly IS his goal. Personally I believe, his actions speak louder than any 'press' article.

  17. #77

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Getting drunk with Athos
    Posts
    5,006
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33935
    Quote Originally Posted by jamcan View Post
    agreed if that truly IS his goal. Personally I believe, his actions speak louder than any 'press' article.
    Oh yes, signing up for a qualifying event must mean this is step 1 in trying to take over the (skating) world. No other possible explanation .

  18. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Igloo
    Posts
    27
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Oh yes, signing up for a qualifying event must mean this is step 1 in trying to take over the (skating) world. No other possible explanation .
    well that makes about as much sense as signing up for a COMPETITION but not caring where you place

  19. #79

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Getting drunk with Athos
    Posts
    5,006
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33935
    There's a pretty big difference between not caring how you do and not having a specific placement be the end goal. Maybe his goals are more about landing a specific number of jumps and getting certain levels. Or maybe Sandhu would be happy with two clean skate at Nationals, even if that places him -say- 6th.

  20. #80
    GPF Barcelona here I come
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    Posts
    9,174
    vCash
    334
    Rep Power
    33415
    I wouldn't say this about many skaters.. but Sandhu is one skater I wouldn't mind seeing if he could actually make it all the way back as he never reached his potential because I think his mental health issues impacted on his performance and lack of training. Now if things are more stable with him and he can find the resources I hope he can give it another shot - if nothing else to just leave the sport on his own terms..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

    "Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •