Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mackiecat View Post
    love the judges use of component marks for Sandu especially judge 3
    Yes, that is how component marks are supposed to be used. He did have beautiful interpretation and lines, but also a lot of plain stroking (probably didn't help to use a pre-COP program).

I saw a bit of the junior men, junior pairs, and novice men. Roman Sadovsky and Nicolas Nadeau had been favourites of mine from last year (when they finished 1-2 at Challenge in novice), so it was great to see them continue their success in juniors. Nadeau's short program was one of my favourite programs in any discipline and level, and he got a good laugh out of the audience when he made a random fall on stroking into a part of his program. Unfortunately, he had a similar fall in the FP and the two falls together cost him the bronze medal. Sadovsky and Kan both have a good combination of strong jumping and good choreography, and I enjoyed both of their programs too. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see Mathieu Nepton, so I'll have to check the archives.

Of the five novice men I saw, Eric Liu was my favourite, with a wonderfully musical program to Rach 2, so I was happy to see him pull off the win. I also really liked Daniel-Olivier Boulanger-Trottier, who was the leader after the SP but had jump problems in the free. He had the strongest basic skating of the skaters I saw and also had a fun ballroom dance themed program (right down to the number on the back of his costume).

In junior pairs, I thought after the SP that Purich and Arcieri were starting to gel, but I was disappointed with the FP. Purich has a lot of personality and really sells the programs, and Arcieri doesn't really keep up with her in that aspect. Hopefully they just need more time together, but they're not there yet. Strangely, last year I thought that Purich looked junior-ish compared to seniors...this year, I feel like she looks too senior compared to the other juniors. Bell & Sylvester have good elements, but a little bland on the presentation side. I thought that they might have shown more improvement from last season.

vCash
    In junior pairs, I thought after the SP that Purich and Arcieri were starting to gel, but I was disappointed with the FP.
    I agree, but I'm still encouraged by how much he has improved since the beginning of the season. He's come a long way, although there is a still a lot of work to do.

In junior pairs, I team I hadn't seen before but liked immediately was Dylan Conway/Dustin Sherriff-Clayton. They clearly aren't at the technical level of the top junior teams yet, but they have a very nice look. It was also great to see Bryce Davison at the boards coaching them.

I'm still blown away by how much the top four senior women here have improved compared to last season. If they all keep improving, and avoid the pitfalls of puberty and injury, there could be some huge fights coming up at Canadians in the next few seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    My jump notes for him: 3Lo, 3F2T, 1Lz, 3Lo2T, 2A, 3F, 3T(turnout)2T2T, plus a lovely F to B spiral sequence to spread eagle in the middle.
    Thanks, the spiral sequence sounds interesting! Is it forward spiral -> spread eagle -> backward spiral?

vCash
    I adore Mitchell Gordon. What a phenomenal talent he is.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Just had a chance to watch some of the archived videos.. very impressed with Mitchell Gordon, great quality and technique and nice jumps.. now can someone please get him some decent music, decent choreo and some clothes that fit Also the Canadian women.. WOW.. holy triples and triple triples.. nice timing for the year before Sochi if Katelyn can do well at worlds some of these girls might get to the Olympics
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I was out of town on the week-end and my hotel internet was kinda slow so I didn't get to watch much, so I'm getting caught up now.

I just watched Alaine Chartrand's free skate - I know she sometimes lacks speed and her jumps aren't that big yet, but wow I love the way she goes for it! And I think she's improved so much from last year.

What do people think about possible junior world and 4CC teams for the women after this? It's interesting to note that while all three JGP skaters did the triple flip in the short on the JGP, only Chartrand did at the Challenge competition and Séguin didn't attempt any triple flip at all at Quebec Sectionals or the Challenge. Daleman is too young for senior ISU Championships, so it makes sense to send her to junior worlds. I think they should give Chartrand and Séguin the option to do either 4CC or junior worlds, depending on how they finish at Canadians.

The potential for a very exciting senior women's event at the Canadian Championships is just and

vCash
    Is anyone else having trouble with getting the streaming archives for Skatebuzz? I keep getting a server now every time I try to log in.
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    The potential for a very exciting senior women's event at the Canadian Championships is just and
    I think Amelie Lacoste could be in real trouble this year....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    I just watched Alaine Chartrand's free skate - I know she sometimes lacks speed and her jumps aren't that big yet, but wow I love the way she goes for it! And I think she's improved so much from last year.

What do people think about possible junior world and 4CC teams for the women after this?
    I agree that Chartrand has improved a lot - she also has really lovely, balletic arms and nice lines. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that Michelle Leigh is the coach to be getting her to improve her speed and power given that she was JSlo's primary coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    I suspect that Amelie's PCS marks will keep her on the podium at Canadians for this year at least. The three JGP girls are all reasonably musical and have good programs, but also have some areas where they are lacking - I actually was thinking that if we could combine Daleman's power and basic skating with Chartrand's afore-mentioned nice arms and lines and Seguin's ability to perform, you could have one hell of a skater. Then along skated Osmond, who actually comes pretty close (although could still use some work on line and posture). The other 3 also still skate very young and lack maturity...which is OK because they are young! So my guess would be that Amelie will hang in there this year but could be in serious trouble next season if Chartrand, Seguin, and Daleman show the same level of improvement next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    well I think Amelie has the potential to win, she has the best package but not the consistency of Osmond.. but she will be in trouble if she doesn't skate her best because the gap between Amelie and Katelyn is closing very quickly...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    well I think Amelie has the potential to win, she has the best package but not the consistency of Osmond.. but she will be in trouble if she doesn't skate her best because the gap between Amelie and Katelyn is closing very quickly...
    The gap is closing quickly? At last years nationals, Osmond finished 6pts behind Lacoste. At the Senior B's this year (I know, two seperate events), Osmond was about 9pts ahead. At SCI, Osmond was 25pts ahead of Lacoste, even more if you compare CoC to SCI. Now at SC Challenge, Osmond has stepped it up again. Even if you take 15pts off for inflation. Even with mistakes Osmond is scoring way higher than a clean Lacoste. And looking at the marks, Lacoste is scoring lower with each competition, while Osmond is increasing.

Good job with the ladies at SC Challenge. There is hope afterall. And Lacoste had better bring her A-game to Nationals if she wants to be on the podium. Seguin scored at Challenge what Lacoste scored last year to win Nationals. I believe Lacoste is defintely not the favourite going into Nationals. The top 4 from Challenge have shown that they want to compete (multiple comps this year) and are progressing well. Lacoste needs more competition time.

vCash
    With all due respect to Amelie and her accomplishments (and I am a fan), I think the gap has already closed. I expect she'll still be on the podium at Nationals, but the rest of the ladies have proven they're ready to fight for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hohoho View Post
    The gap is closing quickly? At last years nationals, Osmond finished 6pts behind Lacoste. At the Senior B's this year (I know, two seperate events), Osmond was about 9pts ahead. At SCI, Osmond was 25pts ahead of Lacoste, even more if you compare CoC to SCI. Now at SC Challenge, Osmond has stepped it up again. Even if you take 15pts off for inflation. Even with mistakes Osmond is scoring way higher than a clean Lacoste. And looking at the marks, Lacoste is scoring lower with each competition, while Osmond is increasing.

Good job with the ladies at SC Challenge. There is hope afterall. And Lacoste had better bring her A-game to Nationals if she wants to be on the podium. Seguin scored at Challenge what Lacoste scored last year to win Nationals. I believe Lacoste is defintely not the favourite going into Nationals. The top 4 from Challenge have shown that they want to compete (multiple comps this year) and are progressing well. Lacoste needs more competition time.
    This. Kaetlyn has closed the gap with Lacoste and has zoomed right on past her. Lacoste is going to have to step up her performances because 3 triples isn't going to cut it this year if Daleman, Chartrand, Seguin and even Grenier skate up to their potential.
    Kyle

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I just realised that exactly one half of the senior ladies field for Canadians is from Quebec. 8 qualified at the challenge, plus Lacoste. Has that ever happened before?

vCash
    I didn't like Kaetlyn's LP performance as much as I did the last two times. I wonder if she is getting a little bored with it and hence was not really feeling the choreography. Many of her moves appeared overdone/forced and just not as polished as the previous two times. This is a hard program to have to skate to for a whole season - a lot of bravado and it could start getting repetitivet if you are not in the right mood for it. I hope she gets the fire back and performs it better at Canadians. When she's on top of her game, it's really a great program.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    Thanks, the spiral sequence sounds interesting! Is it forward spiral -> spread eagle -> backward spiral?
    Sandhu performed a forward spiral (nicely extended), followed by a back catch foot Y spiral and then the outside edge spread eagle came a bit later.

An article on Sandhu's return to competition, with quotes by him, was posted in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3767867
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-11-2012 at 01:11 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm not sure that Michelle Leigh is the coach to be getting her to improve her speed and power given that she was JSlo's primary coach.
    Now I'm depressed. Maybe that's one of those things it's better not to know.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I'm impressed that it still fits!
    That was my first thought

I love Lacoste, and I know that there's Nationals inflation, but Osmond's FS score at Challenges of 131.97 is 3.49 points less than Lacoste's total score at Cup of China, and less than 20 points less than Lacoste's total score at Skate Canada. Lacoste's higher SP score (57.43) was 9.3 points less than Osmond's Challenges SP, a little over 3 points lower than Osmond's Skate Canada SP, and in the same competition, Skate Canada, her SP score was 6.75 lower.

If Osmond is healthy, the Canadian title is her's to take.

Osmond's FS score was higher than all of the Men's FS's, despite having 1 less jumping pass and PCS factored by .8. Only Mitchell Gordon (68.17) and Nam Nyugen [66.88] had higher TES than Osmond (66.05).

for Garrett Gosselin and PCS of 72.20
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    What I actually meant to say was the gap between Amelie & Katelyn & the rest of the senior women is closing quickly

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789