Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I too think she should have won for Mrs. Brown, but I think she played QE I (not QE II).
    She played Queen Victoria.

Ooops, I see someone beat me to it.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Dench portrayed Queen Victoria in Mrs. Brown.
    Yes of course ... silly me I did know that.

I'd watch Dench play any Queen though!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    nigel hawthorne was nominated for playing george III in the madness of king george
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Dench portrayed Queen Victoria in Mrs. Brown.
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    She played Queen Victoria.

Ooops, I see someone beat me to it.
    Thanks for the correction.

vCash
    If you go way back, there's Paul Muni, who portrayed several real people in films and won the Oscar for The Story of Louis Pasteur.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Again, I see those as 2 separate categories. Leigh Anne Tuohy and Aileen Wuornos (and Sister Helen Prejean) were real people, but not in any way famous. Few people outside their own circle knew who they were or what they did. So there's far less pressure for the actor to play the character in a way that's recognizable and expected.

To me the really impressive task is when the actor goes beyond mimickry. Take away the wow-she/he-really-looks/sounds-like-the-real-person aspect, and ask yourself if the acting performance stands on its own. Sadly, IMO a lot of best acting winners won only because they were playing a famous person. Marion Cotillard is a case in point: the mimickry of Piaf was superb ... but beyond that the performance was only pretty good. Meryl Streep, Colin Firth, and Helen Mirren, oth, gave performances that transcended their famous characters.
    I saw Sister Prejean interviewed several times, so I had a good idea of Susan Sarandon's performance, and thought quite a few reviewers were impressed with how she assumed the character, not created it.

And if there were a poll, I'd vote for Marion Cotillard as the greatest performance of an actual person. The fact that I've seen that movie about 20 times might account for that.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Again, I see those as 2 separate categories. Leigh Anne Tuohy and Aileen Wuornos (and Sister Helen Prejean) were real people, but not in any way famous. Few people outside their own circle knew who they were or what they did. So there's far less pressure for the actor to play the character in a way that's recognizable and expected.

To me the really impressive task is when the actor goes beyond mimickry. Take away the wow-she/he-really-looks/sounds-like-the-real-person aspect, and ask yourself if the acting performance stands on its own. Sadly, IMO a lot of best acting winners won only because they were playing a famous person. Marion Cotillard is a case in point: the mimickry of Piaf was superb ... but beyond that the performance was only pretty good. Meryl Streep, Colin Firth, and Helen Mirren, oth, gave performances that transcended their famous characters.
    If you're going to break it down like that, I think you really need a third category: famous historical figure. Because everyone may know who they are and what they did, but no one knows firsthand, say, what Queen Elizabeth I's voice or mannerisms were like.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I loved the film Reds and was thrilled when Maureen Stapleton won for her portrayal of Emma Goldman. Also do Bafta's count? I know Gary Oldman was nominated in Prick Up Your Ears as the playwright Joe Orton. And I don't know if he received any recognition as Sid Vicious in Sid and Nancy though I would have nominated him in that performance. (I have a lot of love for Oldman.)

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Oops - I was wrong.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I loved Judi Dench in Mrs. Brown.

Two other performances come to mind - Robert Downey Jr. as Chaplin and Geoffrey Rush in Shine. Both were fabulous.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Also do Bafta's count?
    Ooh- that made me remember another memorable performance. Benedict Cumberbatch was wonderful as as Stephen Hawking in the BBC's Hawking. Probably not a lot of people from NA have seen that movie (made for TV) but it is worth looking up- both for the acting, and the story.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    If you go way back, there's Paul Muni, who portrayed several real people in films and won the Oscar for The Story of Louis Pasteur.
    Going all the way back we have George Arliss winning for playing Disraeli in the 1929 movie of that name.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    James Cagney won best actor as George M. Cohan in Yankee Doodle Dandy.

ETA: YDD was released in 1942. Interestingly (I discovered when I went to look up the year), it was released in June 1942 and George M. Cohan died in November 1942. He did see the movie and was quoted as saying "My God, what an act to follow".
    Last edited by AYS; 11-28-2012 at 09:24 PM.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Another one - Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network; and although not nominated, Andrew Garfield, Justin Timberlake and Armie Hammer were all critically acclaimed for their portrayals of other real life players in the movie. (In the case of Hammer, two of them )

Eisenberg lost to Colin Firth playing a real-life person, and also in the category was James Franco playing another real-life person.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Those who did not win-
    Meryl Streep- Karen Silkwood, Isaac Dinesan(Karen) in Out of Africa, and the Australian woman in 'A cry in the dark'
    Meryl has been nominated for so many Oscars, that it's easy to forget even a recent (and memorable role) that didn't win: Julia Child in 2010's Julie and Julia which lost to Sandra Bullock's portrayal in The Blind Side.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    And if there were a poll, I'd vote for Marion Cotillard as the greatest performance of an actual person. The fact that I've seen that movie about 20 times might account for that.
    I agree with this. Rarely have I seen an actor search as deep into the soul of the character she/he interprets. To describe Marion Cotillard's performance as "mimicry" is to miss the magic of the film entirely. And it's not just Edith Piaf, she develops an almost organic bond with each and every character she embodies, based on a complete understanding of who that person is, real or fictional. She's an extraordinary actress.

vCash
    I saw Lincoln this Thanksgiving weekend and was blown away by DDL's performance. I know he always gives it his all and he's one of the greatest actors in our time (hyperbole, much ), but he took it to another level with Lincoln. Wow.

vCash
    It's not hyperbole if it's true! I don't think many people would disagree with you that DDL is one of the greatest actors of our time, or even that he's one of the greatest actors of film in general. He's truly amazing.

I think Marion Cotillard, besides being a phenomenal actress, is also just extraordinarily beautiful. Every time she's on screen, every single scene she's in, I'm just blown away by how utterly gorgeous she is. I get the same feeling when I see Elena Ilinykh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Meryl has been nominated for so many Oscars, that it's easy to forget even a recent (and memorable role) that didn't win: Julia Child in 2010's Julie and Julia which lost to Sandra Bullock's portrayal in The Blind Side.
    I didn't see The Blind Side, it appeared way to sugar-coated for my tastes. But while Streep's role in Julie and Julia was memorable, it wasn't one of her best rules. I found the character quite superficial - no offense to Streep, as thought was due to the script and direction. Plus, she was only in one-half of the movie.

vCash
    Another is Anne Bancroft as Annie Sullivan in The Miracle Worker. She also won a Tony Award for the same role.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast