View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • December 7 – Deadfall (Crime drama with Eric Bana and Olivia Wilde)

5 6.33%
  • December 14 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Fantasy with Ian McKellen...)

46 58.23%
  • December 19 - The Guilt Trip (Comedy with Barbra Streisand, Seth Rogen, Adam Scott and Colin Hanks)

9 11.39%
  • December 19 - Monsters, Inc. 3D (Animated with John Goodman, Billy Crystal, etc.)

8 10.13%
  • December 19 - Zero Dark Thirty (Action with Chris Pratt, Joel Edgerton, Jessica Chastain, etc.)

17 21.52%
  • December 21 - This Is 40 (Comedy with Paul Rudd, Melissa McCarthy and John Lithgow)

10 12.66%
  • December 21 - The Impossible (Action with Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor)

12 15.19%
  • December 25 - Django Unchained (Western with Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz)

23 29.11%
  • December 25 - Les Misérables (Musical with Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway)

62 78.48%
  • December 28 - Promised Land (Drama with Matt Damon, John Krasinski and Frances McDormand)

11 13.92%
  • February 8 - Identity Thief (Comedy with Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy and Jon Favreau)

10 12.66%
  • February 14 - A Good Day to Die Hard (Action with Bruce Willis and Cole Hauser)

9 11.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Saw Silver Linings Playbook before Christmas and flat-out loved it. It didn't hurt that I'm originally from Philly, and I was so proud that I nailed the neighborhood they filmed it in (waited through the whole credits to check.)

Both Cooper and Lawrence were terrific.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Going to see Rise of the Guardians tomorrow, all by myself. Kinda need some me-time after this non-stop hanging out with the family that I've been doing lately. The only annoying thing is that it's shown in English in only one place, Heron City, which is just about as far from my location as you can get with Stockholm's public transport. Though hopefully that'll mean the theatre isn't completely packed...

vCash
    Saw Jack Reacher today and loved it. At times it was hard to forget the movie starred Tom Cruise and was a bit formulaic but still a very good movie and I'm off to find and read the book.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    ^ Yup, Richard Parker is the reason to see the film.

I have to say too that the CGI animals, esp. Richard Parker, were amazing. Most of the time I couldn't tell from looking which scenes were real tiger and which were CGI -- it was only by behaviour (i.e., either "even a trained tiger wouldn't do that " or "they'd never risk harm to a real tiger with that scene") that I could tell the difference. Far more impressive in my book that big CGI explosions.
    I thought Life of Pi was amazing. The 3D was incredible, the acting great, and Richard Parker rocked it. I got all weepy at the end. Very effective movie, IMO.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Let's Talk Movies! #21...Oscar Bait, Christmas Movies, "Bad" Movies You Loved......)

I have absolutely zero desire to see Zero Dark Thirty. What's supposed to be so amazing about something we've heard all about already? Do they personalize the story or what?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    We went to see Parental Guidance yesterday. The movie theatre was jam packed with all the Les Miserables seekers, but our show was full but not front row only crowded.

It was a typical Billy Crystal & Bette Midler movie & we laughed our way through the whole thing. Exactly what we needed for a Christmas evening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I have absolutely zero desire to see Zero Dark Thirty. What's supposed to be so amazing about something we've heard all about already? Do they personalize the story or what?
    It may be a good idea to see the movie to find out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I have absolutely zero desire to see Zero Dark Thirty.
    You are not the only one. I don't care how many awards it wins, it is of zero interest to me.

vCash
    I want to see Zero Dark Thirty, and I will see it. However, I am afraid that it may not live up to the expectations created by rave reviews and awards from critics.

vCash
    My very short reviews of the two movies I saw over Christmas break:

The Hobbit: Meh. Might have liked it more if it weren't bloated into three films for an obvious cash-grab.

Les Miserables: Awesome. Loved it. Cried like a baby.

I'm supposed to take my mom to see Lincoln this weekend, so we'll see how that goes. I really want to see Zero Dark Thirty, but I'll probably have to wait until January.

Silver Linings Playbook is probably going to end up being a Redboxer.

vCash
    Highly recommend Django Unchained. The acting, writing, direction, and music are all vintage Tarantino. Excellent film all-around. I also saw Les Miserables and although I enjoyed it, I wouldn't really watch the whole thing again. It's good but far from the best movie I've seen in the past few years and I seriously hope Tom Hooper does not get a best Director nod over real film artists like Tarantino and Ang Lee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Highly recommend Django Unchained. The acting, writing, direction, and music are all vintage Tarantino. Excellent film all-around. I also saw Les Miserables and although I enjoyed it, I wouldn't really watch the whole thing again. It's good but far from the best movie I've seen in the past few years and I seriously hope Tom Hooper does not get a best Director nod over real film artists like Tarantino and Ang Lee.
    I agree. I've seen Django Unchained, Life of Pi, and Les Mis, and the difference in the standard of direction between Lee and Tarantino v. Hooper is astonishing. Hooper's direction seems like someone who barely made it through a third rate film school with the camera always being in the most ludicrous places throughout Les Mis and one close-up after another. Tarantino and Lee are on another playing field than Hooper.
    Last edited by jenny12; 12-27-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Only one new movie in theatres this week (a bit late this time as it came out Christmas Day... :shuffle):

December 25 West of Memphis (Documentary. From imdb.com: “An examination of a failure of justice in the case against the West Memphis Three.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ0p44qDqK4

And one that was on my list to come out December 31st, but I see now that it was actually released in February, but I'm posting about it because it looks good:

December 31 The Apple Pushers (Documentary. From imdb.com: “The Apple Pushers, narrated by Edward Norton, follows the inspiring stories of five immigrant pushcart vendors who are rolling fresh fruits and vegetables into New York City's food deserts - neighborhoods where finding a ripe, red apple is a serious challenge and where obesity rates are skyrocketing”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzyBvDa4LjU

And the last trailer is for a movie that doesn't come out until May. I'm needing a good thriller/psycho-drama/horror movie, and this one looks like I'm going to love it! I might have already provided a link for it, but in case I didn't...

May 13th 2012: Black Rock (Horror/thriller with Kate Bosworth)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCrjq3B0h10
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Some short reviews:
    "Marley"-yea, mon! :-)
    "Obama's America 2016"-???? Wut? I don't get it, whatever it was
    "Snow White and the (extremelyyyyyy hunky) Huntsman"-zzzzz. No more KriStew pour moi, e.v.e.r. thankyouverymuch :-P
    "Bernie"-YES YES YES whee!
    "Celebration Day"-omg wayyy yes!!!!! WHEE!

must watch interlibrary loan of "Modesty Blaise" tonight or tomorrow return by sat.

PS "Gordan Ramsay's Ultimate Christmas Dinner"-two completely different but equally fab meals. No specific recipes but lots of pizzazz prep and whee. Nice music too. Fun and instructive-recommend :-)
    Last edited by immoimeme; 12-28-2012 at 03:17 AM. Reason: more

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    Seeing Silver Lings Playbook today
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I saw "Django Unchained" today and found the first act a bit muddled, the second act to be excellent, and the third act extremely disappointing. After the amazing middle section, I was sad that Tarantino didn't go for at least some type of emotion other than "kick ass revenge" in the entire finale, instead it was just a slo-mo bloodbath and wink-wink nod-nod movie references. Despite the great middle section, I left the movie disappointed.

I did think Christoph Waltz and Samuel L. Jackson were amazing, and while I'm not a great fan of Leonardo DiCaprio, I thought he was pretty good too. I get that Django is the main character, but I'd hardly consider Christoph Waltz' character to be considered a supporting part for awards consideration.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I saw "Django Unchained" today and found the first act a bit muddled, the second act to be excellent, and the third act extremely disappointing...
    Spike Lee blasts 'Django Unchained' : ...insisting the slave drama is “disrespectful” to African American history

The filmmaker ... took to his Twitter.com account over the weekend to blast the modern spaghetti western, writing, “American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone (director) Spaghetti Western. It Was A Holocaust. My Ancestors Are Slaves. Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them.”
    I'm boycotting it only because I'm sick of Tarantino and his limited-to-one-theme-only schtick has gone WAY past its' due date.

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    "Snow White and the (extremelyyyyyy hunky) Huntsman"-zzzzz. No more KriStew pour moi, e.v.e.r. thankyouverymuch :-P
    I thought that movie was awful. Practically non-existant plot, just an excuse to show lots of fighting and violence. Of course, Mr. Huntsman is a fine specimin, but gosh was he DIRTY in this one. Were there no bathtubs ANYWHERE in the kingdom??
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    Bradley Cooper sure is hoooooooooooooooot
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I'm boycotting it only because I'm sick of Tarantino and his limited-to-one-theme-only schtick has gone WAY past its' due date.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I never got the Tarantino hoopla. The only movie of his I'd give even a marginal thumbs up to is Inglourious Basterds. The rest is just the odd nugget of somewhat clever dialogue wrapped up in pretention and ott violence.

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to seeing Silver Linings Playbook tomorrow. We were going to go to Les Mis but it's still "no passes" and I have a pass that expires Dec 31.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    [URL="http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/27/spike-lee-blasts-django-unchained"]

I thought that movie was awful. Practically non-existant plot, just an excuse to show lots of fighting and violence. Of course, Mr. Huntsman is a fine specimin, but gosh was he DIRTY in this one. Were there no bathtubs ANYWHERE in the kingdom??
    Glad you all loved it so much because a part Deux is in the works.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast