View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • December 7 – Deadfall (Crime drama with Eric Bana and Olivia Wilde)

5 6.33%
  • December 14 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Fantasy with Ian McKellen...)

46 58.23%
  • December 19 - The Guilt Trip (Comedy with Barbra Streisand, Seth Rogen, Adam Scott and Colin Hanks)

9 11.39%
  • December 19 - Monsters, Inc. 3D (Animated with John Goodman, Billy Crystal, etc.)

8 10.13%
  • December 19 - Zero Dark Thirty (Action with Chris Pratt, Joel Edgerton, Jessica Chastain, etc.)

17 21.52%
  • December 21 - This Is 40 (Comedy with Paul Rudd, Melissa McCarthy and John Lithgow)

10 12.66%
  • December 21 - The Impossible (Action with Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor)

12 15.19%
  • December 25 - Django Unchained (Western with Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz)

23 29.11%
  • December 25 - Les Misérables (Musical with Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway)

62 78.48%
  • December 28 - Promised Land (Drama with Matt Damon, John Krasinski and Frances McDormand)

11 13.92%
  • February 8 - Identity Thief (Comedy with Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy and Jon Favreau)

10 12.66%
  • February 14 - A Good Day to Die Hard (Action with Bruce Willis and Cole Hauser)

9 11.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I never got the Tarantino hoopla. The only movie of his I'd give even a marginal thumbs up to is Inglourious Basterds. The rest is just the odd nugget of somewhat clever dialogue wrapped up in pretention and ott violence.

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to seeing Silver Linings Playbook tomorrow. We were going to go to Les Mis but it's still "no passes" and I have a pass that expires Dec 31.
    I'm a huge Tarantino fan, but I see that his style is not for everyone. I agree that he should branch out more, but I do think he has produced a lot of fine work and has created some of the most memorable screen dialogue of the past several years. A lot of directors have a specific style though that can sometimes make their work seem repetitive. I think he has earned his place among the top directors today which is way more than I can say about a hack like Tom Hooper.

vCash
    For those who have seen Django unchained-

Is there a lot of blood and guts shown in the movie? I won't ask if it has a lot of violence, because I cannot imagine Tarrantino's movie without it. The only question I am trying to answer is- can I handle it or will I be sitting there with my eyes closed or covered half the time?

vCash
    I LOOOVED Django. The way I feel about a Tarantino film is that it is for me an example of film making that completely takes the viewer to into an imaginative otherworld for the entirety of the story's duration. His movies are exuberant, nasty, emotional, funny, and are all clearly made by a team and a leader who LOVES, geeked out LOVES "the movies". Like Inglorious Basterds, one of my favourite aspects of Django is the revisionist history - he's telling a tale yall. There is a love for storytelling at the core - SPOILER - like that particular scene within the movie where Waltz' character does a simple retelling of a fable with nothing more than a stone boulder backdrop and his campfire lit face, and an engrossed audience in Django (and us). Old school love of storytelling right there.

Christoph Waltz is unbelievably magnetic. And sexy as hell. Holy god.

A couple of minor qualms but in terms of the major critical grievance with regards to pacing, I don't know what those reviewers are talking about. Though some scenes were, let's say, paused moments in plot, the tension was INSANE and I internally filled the holes in, so to speak, by experiencing all these intense emotions during those quieter moments. As entertainment, this movie is fierce. And it's just great to see a piece of work that marches to its own beat, has a clear point of view, and takes you on an imaginative storytelling adventure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post

Is there a lot of blood and guts shown in the movie? I won't ask if it has a lot of violence, because I cannot imagine Tarrantino's movie without it. The only question I am trying to answer is- can I handle it or will I be sitting there with my eyes closed or covered half the time?
    So I loved it, clearly, but there was about a good quarter of the film where I only saw about a fifth of the screen, the rest obscured by my scarf. It's intensely violent, but in a campy, too-much-gushing sort of way. Though the particular scenes that were one to one in brutality I couldn't watch at all, and it wasn't because of the visual of the blood and guts necessarily but the context and method with which the violence was enacted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    Christoph Waltz is unbelievably magnetic. And sexy as hell. Holy god.
    True statement. That man has more magnetic charisma in his pinky finger than most actors have in their entire bodies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    So I loved it, clearly, but there was about a good quarter of the film where I only saw about a fifth of the screen, the rest obscured by my scarf. It's intensely violent, but in a campy, too-much-gushing sort of way. Though the particular scenes that were one to one in brutality I couldn't watch at all, and it wasn't because of the visual of the blood and guts necessarily but the context and method with which the violence was enacted.
    Thanks for the description. It sounds like I better avoid it, even though I like the actors in it.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    True statement. That man has more magnetic charisma in his pinky finger than most actors have in their entire bodies.
    Christoph Waltz is old enough to be my father (he's older than my mother, for one), but he's one of the few older men I would still do regardless.

vCash
    Also a true statement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post

If you have to ask, chances are pretty good that you are better off avoiding this movie. I saw it despite my own reservations and regret it, but then again I've never been much of a Tarantino fan. You'll probably love this movie however if you are Tarantino fan.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Blergh
    vCash
    It's also a pretty brutal depiction of slavery as well. I don't mind the cartoony, over-the-top violence because then I just think it's fake and done for effect. But when it gets to the more realistic violence that I can actually imagine happening in real life...that's where I get squeamish.

It's funny, we have to Oscar contenders that touch upon slavery (Lincoln and Django) but do so in totally different ways.

vCash
    One thing I admire about Django Unchained is that it discusses slavery from a black perspective which is actually quite rare for Hollywood.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Glad you all loved it so much because a part Deux is in the works.
    Snow White and the Huntsman 2: The Bathing?

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I never got the Tarantino hoopla...
    Have you seen Jackie Brown? I looooved that movie. Resevoir Dogs was good, too. My problem with Tarantino is that so many of his movies revolve around violence, and he fetishes the violence almost as if's an aphrodisiac, which really unsettles me!!! He's talented, but in reference to the thought about how much he looooves movies, I had to wonder which he truly loves more: movies...or violence?

Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    One thing I admire about Django Unchained is that it discusses slavery from a black perspective which is actually quite rare for Hollywood.
    Hmm...not having seen the movie, I'm wondering if that is something you should not say if Spike Lee is in the room!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Spike Lee hasn't seen the movie either so I don't know how much I'd count his opinion. Many directors use violence, but Tarentino does so stylistically IMO and it has a purpose in the storyline which separates it from other film portrayals of violence. There are several great directors (Scorcese, the Coen Brothers) who use violence but with a purpose as well.

vCash
    I saw Life of Pi today. I wanted to catch the 3-D version while it was still playing on the big screen. Visually it was an amazing film. The animation and 3-D were superb. I didn't really understand what the story was trying to say about God, but I enjoyed watching this film.

vCash
    Gangster Squad will be released on January 11th. It was pulled from it's original release date because of the Aurora shooting. But now that the offending scene has been replaced it is once again scheduled to be released and I can't wait. Here is a rather nice article about the movie. Unfortunately the release date will put it against Zero Dark Thirty which has a lot of Oscar buzz around it.

http://m.philstar.com/314190/show/e2...6364587f7d96/?
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Saw Silver Linings Playbook before Christmas and flat-out loved it. It didn't hurt that I'm originally from Philly, and I was so proud that I nailed the neighborhood they filmed it in (waited through the whole credits to check.)

Both Cooper and Lawrence were terrific.
    I lived in Philly while attending Temple U but I didn't catch which neighborhood in Philly it was. Do tell ...

Afterlife
    vCash
    I just saw The Hobbit, somewhere in there was a truely fantastic movie, but it got lost in Peter Jackson's blatant cash grab. They could have cut half an hour out of there and it would have been so much better.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    I just saw The Hobbit, somewhere in there was a truely fantastic movie, but it got lost in Peter Jackson's blatant cash grab. They could have cut half an hour out of there and it would have been so much better.
    Initially I had been excited about seeing The Hobbit, but when I saw it's going to be a trilogy, I lost all interest in seeing the movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    If you have to ask, chances are pretty good that you are better off avoiding this movie. I saw it despite my own reservations and regret it, but then again I've never been much of a Tarantino fan. You'll probably love this movie however if you are Tarantino fan.
    I am not a Tarantino fan at all.

Blergh
    vCash
    Hopefully, I'll enjoy Lincoln. I sort of loathe Spielberg's films. Especially ones where he tries to be profound or artistic like in Munich because it just shows off his lack of real depth for me.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast