View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • December 7 – Deadfall (Crime drama with Eric Bana and Olivia Wilde)

5 6.33%
  • December 14 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Fantasy with Ian McKellen...)

46 58.23%
  • December 19 - The Guilt Trip (Comedy with Barbra Streisand, Seth Rogen, Adam Scott and Colin Hanks)

9 11.39%
  • December 19 - Monsters, Inc. 3D (Animated with John Goodman, Billy Crystal, etc.)

8 10.13%
  • December 19 - Zero Dark Thirty (Action with Chris Pratt, Joel Edgerton, Jessica Chastain, etc.)

17 21.52%
  • December 21 - This Is 40 (Comedy with Paul Rudd, Melissa McCarthy and John Lithgow)

10 12.66%
  • December 21 - The Impossible (Action with Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor)

12 15.19%
  • December 25 - Django Unchained (Western with Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz)

23 29.11%
  • December 25 - Les Misérables (Musical with Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway)

62 78.48%
  • December 28 - Promised Land (Drama with Matt Damon, John Krasinski and Frances McDormand)

11 13.92%
  • February 8 - Identity Thief (Comedy with Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy and Jon Favreau)

10 12.66%
  • February 14 - A Good Day to Die Hard (Action with Bruce Willis and Cole Hauser)

9 11.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    To me Weisz is the biggest surprise, followed by McConaughey (although he did just score Indie Spirit nods, so maybe this win isn't completely out of left field). Considering it's the NY Film Critics, one comes to expect more less mainstream choices, and Weisz seems to fall into that category the most. The voting must have been pretty interesting, considering the voting process ended up lasting a record five hours.
    IIRC, they don't name their shortlist / nominees, do they? Which would mean they're "up against" every other performance/film that came out this year. I agree Weisz is somewhat of a surprise, tho it's refreshing to see an award for a film that came out months ago instead of during Oscar bait season. I thought her performance was pretty great (even if the film wasn't), but as I haven't seen any of the Oscar-rumoured films yet it's hard to compare. And I haven't seen Magic Mike, but I though McConaughey was fabulous in Bernie.

The NY Film Critics also do things differently in that actors are given awards for more than one film within a single year. So last year Jessica Chastain won best supporting for her combined work in Tree of Life, The Help, and Take Shelter (tho, oddly enough, not Coriolanus).

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Carrying on from the previous post... (and trying to ignore that PeterG didn't like "The Artist" ), other upcoming film award announcements:

12/5 National Board of Review (winners and top 10 movies)
    12/7 LA Film Critics winners announced
    12/10 AFI (American Film Institute) winners announced
    12/11 Critics Choice nominations
    12/12 SAG (Screen Actors Guild) noms
    12/13 Golden Globe nominations

1/3 Writers Guild, Producers Guild and Art Directors Guild announce their nominees
    1/5 Int'l Society of Film Critics Awards
    1/8 Directors Guild nominations
    1/10 Oscar nominations
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    IIRC, they don't name their shortlist / nominees, do they? Which would mean they're "up against" every other performance/film that came out this year. I agree Weisz is somewhat of a surprise, tho it's refreshing to see an award for a film that came out months ago instead of during Oscar bait season. I thought her performance was pretty great (even if the film wasn't), but as I haven't seen any of the Oscar-rumoured films yet it's hard to compare. And I haven't seen Magic Mike, but I though McConaughey was fabulous in Bernie.

The NY Film Critics also do things differently in that actors are given awards for more than one film within a single year. So last year Jessica Chastain won best supporting for her combined work in Tree of Life, The Help, and Take Shelter (tho, oddly enough, not Coriolanus).
    They don't generally announce it, but other potential winners often get discussed.

NYFCC members J. Hoberman and Lou Lumenick dish marathon voting

http://www.goldderby.com/news/

It talks about how Weisz got her win, and how "Beasts of the Southern Wild" which was the frontrunner for Best First Film ended up losing. Perhaps most surprising, Spielberg out in the first round of balloting by getting no votes for Best Director, despite strong support for the film overall.

vCash
    Les Miserables' leads with 10 Satellite Award nominations

The Major Categories:

FILM

BEST PICTURE
    “Argo”
    “Beasts Of The Southern Wild”
    “Life Of Pi”
    “Lincoln”
    “Les Misérables”
    “Moonrise Kingdom”
    “The Sessions”
    “Silver Linings Playbook”
    “Skyfall”
    “Zero Dark Thirty”

BEST DIRECTOR
    Ben Affleck, “Argo”
    Steven Spielberg, “Lincoln”
    Kim Ki-duk, “Pieta“
    Ben Lewin, “The Sessions”
    David O. Russell, “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Kathryn Bigelow, “Zero Dark Thirty”

BEST ACTRESS
    Laura Birn, “Purge”
    Jessica Chastain, “Zero Dark Thirty”
    Emilie Dequenne, “Our Children”
    Keira Knightley, “Anna Karenina”
    Jennifer Lawrence, “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Laura Linney, “Hyde Park On Hudson”
    Emmanuelle Riva, “Amour”

BEST ACTOR
    Bradley Cooper, “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Daniel Day-Lewis, “Lincoln”
    John Hawkes, “The Sessions”
    Hugh Jackman, “Les Misérables”
    Joaquin Phoenix, “The Master”
    Omar Sy, “The Intouchables”
    Denzel Washington, “Flight”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Amy Adams, “The Master”
    Samantha Barks, “Les Miserables“
    Judi Dench, “Skyfall”
    Helene Florent, “Café De Flore”
    Anne Hathaway, “Les Misérables”
    Helen Hunt, “The Sessions”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Javier Bardem, “Skyfall”
    Robert De Niro, “Silver Linings Playbook”
    John Goodman, “Flight”
    Philip Seymour Hoffman, “The Master”
    Tommy Lee Jones, “Lincoln”
    Eddie Redmayne, “Les Misérables”

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    NATIONAL BOARD OF REVIEW AWARD TO "ZERO DARK THIRTY"

Best Film: ZERO DARK THIRTY
    Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow, ZERO DARK THIRTY
    Best Actor: Bradley Cooper, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
    Best Actress: Jessica Chastain, ZERO DARK THIRTY
    Best Supporting Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, DJANGO UNCHAINED
    Best Supporting Actress: Ann Dowd, COMPLIANCE
    Best Original Screenplay: Rian Johnson, LOOPER
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David O. Russell, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
    Best Animated Feature: WRECK-IT RALPH
    Special Achievement in Filmmaking: Ben Affleck, ARGO
    Breakthrough Actor: Tom Holland, THE IMPOSSIBLE
    Breakthrough Actress: Quvenzhané Wallis, BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
    Best Directorial Debut: Benh Zeitlin, BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
    Best Foreign Language Film: AMOUR
    Best Documentary: SEARCHING FOR SUGARMAN
    William K. Everson Film History Award: 50 YEARS OF BOND FILMS
    Best Ensemble: LES MISÉRABLES
    Spotlight Award: John Goodman (ARGO, FLIGHT, PARANORMAN, TROUBLE WITH THE CURVE)
    NBR Freedom of Expression Award: CENTRAL PARK FIVE
    NBR Freedom of Expression Award: PROMISED LAND
    Top Films
    (in alphabetical order)
    ARGO
    BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD
    DJANGO UNCHAINED
    LES MISÉRABLES
    LINCOLN
    LOOPER
    THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER
    PROMISED LAND
    SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK

vCash
    I wonder if this is going to be a repeat of The Hurt Locker and sweep all the critics awards to the point that not even Oscar can ignore it. Is there a feel-good, easily digestible film that the Academy is going to love instead? The last time a movie swept all the critics' awards but lost the guild awards and the Oscar is when The Social Network lost to that BBC movie with a bigger budget...I mean The King's Speech.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I wonder if this is going to be a repeat of The Hurt Locker and sweep all the critics awards to the point that not even Oscar can ignore it. Is there a feel-good, easily digestible film that the Academy is going to love instead? The last time a movie swept all the critics' awards but lost the guild awards and the Oscar is when The Social Network lost to that BBC movie with a bigger budget...I mean The King's Speech.
    I know they love the idea of Ben Affleck's comeback but I don't know if they love "Argo" enough for a best picture award.

vCash
    Well, Silver Linings Playbook is feel-good in the sense that it has it's moments and ends on a good note, but I don't think it's a Best Picture winner. Nominated for sure, but not a winner.

I'm surprised Zero Dark Thirty is getting so many noms; I was under the impression that it wasn't doing that well critically? Guess I got my info wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I'm surprised Zero Dark Thirty is getting so many noms; I was under the impression that it wasn't doing that well critically? Guess I got my info wrong.
    Zero Dark Thirty is currently 100% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, but it is still early. It seems to be setting itself up as the early critics' favorite, although that hasn't been an indication of how the Oscars have recently gone with more feel good/simpler movies like The King's Speech or The Artist recently winning.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Spareoom;3762657]Well, Silver Linings Playbook is feel-good in the sense that it has it's moments and ends on a good note, but I don't think it's a Best Picture winner. Nominated for sure, but not a winner.
    QUOTE]
    I so agree. Great movie, but not 'Best' I think the acting should/will get the attention it deserves.

Satellite Award Noms - cool that Dench and Bardem are recognized for Skyfall. Yes it is a Bond movie, but great acting by many!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Lincoln should be a good challenger to ZDT, but it really should be the front runner, not a challenger. I would hate to see a repeat of the Hurt Locker win.

BTW, years ago, I think LA Confidential won a lot of critics awards, but the Oscar went to Titanic.

vCash
    [QUOTE=smurfy;3762942]
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Well, Silver Linings Playbook is feel-good in the sense that it has it's moments and ends on a good note, but I don't think it's a Best Picture winner. Nominated for sure, but not a winner.
    QUOTE]
    I so agree. Great movie, but not 'Best' I think the acting should/will get the attention it deserves.

Satellite Award Noms - cool that Dench and Bardem are recognized for Skyfall. Yes it is a Bond movie, but great acting by many!
    ITA about Silver linings. It should win the golden globe for comedy (unless les mis wins that one- and it likely will). I thought Dench was superb in skyfall (when is she not?) and deserves many awards. However, I was a bit disappointed in Bardem. His obsession with Dench's character didn't quite come through clearly. Definitely not one of his best roles. JMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Lincoln should be a good challenger to ZDT, but it really should be the front runner, not a challenger. I would hate to see a repeat of the Hurt Locker win.

BTW, years ago, I think LA Confidential won a lot of critics awards, but the Oscar went to Titanic.

Well, I thought the performances in Lincoln were terrific, but the overall impact of the movie was not so strong. I give it a B+ and don't think it's best picture material at all. It had no staying power with me; it's been a week since I saw it and I barely remember it. Frankly, I thought Skyfall was a better movie.

vCash
    The Oscars traditional like British films, and feel good ones. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel fits that mold.
    But also, they seem to have short memories. Pictures that debut earlier in the year don't usually have the steam to keep going by the time ballots are sent out.

vCash
    I also think a lot of it has to do with the fact that movies' impact on the audience losing its luster whereas movies that released later have an advantage in that the Academy voters haven't had time to sort of "get over" the movies that are released later. Also, studios tend to save their best for this season so a film (that's not seen as holiday filler) that wants to be taken seriously tend to get released during the awards season.

I did wonder if the advent of DVD and internet streaming sort of lessened the impact of later released films having the absolute advantage they did before or if its impact is marginal at best.

For those of you who were award aficionados in the past, was it always like this or did the Miramax uber Oscar-campaigning of the 90s sort of create this culture?

I do hope this year is competitive, but usually people don't tune in when there's no grand epic to sweep the awards. People like seeing movies like Titanic take it all because as much as I didn't like the movie, I can't deny that the general public felt a strong connection to it.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    The Oscars traditional like British films, and feel good ones. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel fits that mold.
    But also, they seem to have short memories. Pictures that debut earlier in the year don't usually have the steam to keep going by the time ballots are sent out.
    I don't see Best Exotic making the Oscar cut. Well, maybe a supporting acting nom or two. Not because of how long ago it came out, but because it just isn't an "Oscar" movie. It's a British feel-good in the same vein as The Full Monty, Calendar Girls, Waking Ned Devine, etc. And it's more comedy than drama, and comedies don't win Oscars. It might make the nomination list, now that they have 10 slots to fill ... but zero chance of winning.

It doesn't compare to The King's Speech. That was an "Oscar" film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I don't see Best Exotic making the Oscar cut. Well, maybe a supporting acting nom or two. Not because of how long ago it came out, but because it just isn't an "Oscar" movie. It's a British feel-good in the same vein as The Full Monty, Calendar Girls, Waking Ned Devine, etc. And it's more comedy than drama, and comedies don't win Oscars. It might make the nomination list, now that they have 10 slots to fill ... but zero chance of winning.

It doesn't compare to The King's Speech. That was an "Oscar" film.
    ITA about Marigold, but comedies have won the Oscar in very rare cases. Shakespeare in love, for example.

vCash
    I'm not saying Marigold would win. I'm just saying it hits all the check marks for the type of movie that Oscars seem to prefer. It is just my example of a move from this year. I would not be surprised to see Maggie Smith nominated, though. Maybe cinematography, too.

vCash
    I don't know if Miramax started the uber-campaigns but I certainly remember a lot of ruffled feathers regarding the campaigns when "Shakespeare In Love" won the Oscar beating out "Saving Private Ryan." I wonder if there is a good book or magazine article that details the history of Oscar campaigns.

http://youtu.be/9jFZOicwtBw (Star Trek teaser---looks good!) This has nothing to do with the discussion I just enjoyed this preview.

vCash
    I saw The Sessions today. It was very good. Should expect Oscar noms for John Hawke and Helen Hunt. I did not know this was based on a real life character Mark O'Brian, till I saw the end credits.
    Last edited by Vash01; 12-08-2012 at 12:41 AM.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast