Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Catching up on the JGPF ladies' FS videos, and to Hannah and Angela! Hannah's consistency is stellar, and her jumps (notably the 3F) are looking bigger than ever. I also though the 3Lz is vastly improved. Her progress the past two years -- even the past one year -- is really incredible.

Angela was fab in the FS too! Her 3Lz+3T+2T is perfect, and I love the addition of the 3T+2A sequence. Her jumps have such amazing ride-outs, especially her second 3Lz. If she skates a clean short at Nationals, I have no doubt she can be in the final flight. One to watch for sure.
    Apart from Leah, who was by no means put out an embarrassing skate, the junior ladies FS was one heck of a well-skated event. 5 clean/nearly clean performances in a row, most of them with 7 triples, 4 of them with 3lz-3ts! I was very impressed. Idk if Miyahara and Miller's jumps will survive growing, but the other girls all had fab technique, Radinova has such an expressive face, Angela has lovely arm movements, and Pogorilaya is fierce and just so striking. It was great to see.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I was so happy that Ashley kept going and did another triple after that horrible fall. She's a fighter, and glad she was not gravely wounded.

I don't think she would have beat Mao even landing the jumps she fell on? Does anyone know?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post

I don't think she would have beat Mao even landing the jumps she fell on? Does anyone know?
    It's hard to say, but I think she would have scored very similarly with a clean program, Mao would probably have edged her with her slight lead and a slight lead in PCS. If ever there was an incentive for Ashley to up her technical content, it should be Mao's successful 2a/3t and Yuna's scores at NRW...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I was so happy that Ashley kept going and did another triple after that horrible fall. She's a fighter, and glad she was not gravely wounded.
    That was a nasty fall. It's something you expect to see on a skater learning the 2A but not from a seasoned pro. Maybe she was tired and lost focus for that brief few seconds on the take-off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    If ever there was an incentive for Ashley to up her technical content, it should be Mao's successful 2a/3t and Yuna's scores at NRW...
    This...

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    I dunno, bronze medal at Worlds and the Olympics wouldn't be half bad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    I dunno, bronze medal at Worlds and the Olympics wouldn't be half bad...
    I get the feeling Wagner is not the type to settle for a "smooth trip to" bronze though. She wants that Gold and will do whatever is within her limits to get it.

vCash
    This GPF wrap-up article includes quotes by Daniil Barantsev on working with JGP Final silver medalist Hannah Miller and by costume designer Jan Longmire on Wagner's "controversial" FS dress: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Hmmm I noticed that when Ashley's nervous or whatnot she has problems with the 3salchow. She popped it last year at Nationals during the FS, and here at the GPF she fell on it. However, her $$$ jump without a doubt is the 3loop, she can do it in her sleep, similar to how Zhenya owns the 3axel. It's so easy for her that she even does it with a spreadeagle beforehand, as well as running three turns. As for the 2A, doing it in combination with a triple seems to be a challenge for Ashley, especially when done during the second half of her FS, perhaps she needs to place it in the first half, as she has more success on it when she does. Course she'll lose that extra bonus, but it's better to land it successfully than not. Just a thought...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    However, her [Ashley's] $$$ jump without a doubt is the 3loop, she can do it in her sleep
    Remember Irina's 3lp and MK's 3f? Each was considered $$$ jump for those skaters, respectively.

vCash
    Then there's Zhenya and his $$$ jump the 3axel, which has never failed him (knock on wood). I prefer to think of Ashley's 3loop in this regard.

Btw, I'll never forget Zhenya and the 3axel at the 2010 Olympics, right in front of me, the whole crowd hushed as we thought when he was so high up & tilted in the air he was sure to fall, but then God righted him and he landed like a cat. The audience, the moment, the skater, everything gelled, truly a magical night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Congrats to Ashley & Hannah on the GP/JGP Final silver medals!

Six weeks 'til Nationals!

2012-13 U.S. Ladies -- Top International Scores
    I've added the ISU Season Best score rankings post-GPF/JGPF for the 2013 Nationals ladies - 8 in the current top 22!

1. Ashley WAGNER (190.63), Trophee Eric Bompard #2
    2. Mirai NAGASU (176.88), NHK Trophy #8
    3. Gracie GOLD (175.03), Rostelecom Cup #10
    4. Christina GAO (174.25), Skate America #11
    5. Agnes ZAWADZKI (172.95), U.S. Classic; 166.61 at Rostelecom Cup #17
    6. Hannah MILLER (168.41), JGP Final #14
    7. Angela WANG (162.65), JGP Zagreb #18
    8. Samantha CESARIO (157.72), JGP Linz #22

9. Leah KEISER (156.33), JGP Istanbul #26
    10. Courtney HICKS (153.77), JGP Lake Placid #27
    11. Caroline ZHANG (149.87), Skate Canada #31
    12. Barbie LONG (147.19), JGP Bled #34 [JUNIOR at U.S. Nationals]
    13. Kiri BAGA (142.22), JGP Lake Placid #42
    14. Vanessa LAM (140.89), JGP Courchevel #43
    15. Ashley CAIN (136.51), JGP Courchevel #48

Remaining 2013 Nationals Senior ladies that qualified via Sectionals (listed alphabetically):
    Sophia Adams, Morgan Bell, Becky Bereswill, Haley Dunne, Joelle Forte, Amanda Hofmann, Yasmin Siraj.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-10-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    I get the feeling Wagner is not the type to settle for a "smooth trip to" bronze though. She wants that Gold and will do whatever is within her limits to get it.
    I don't think it is settling, just smart. It is doing what you can do great. If Ashley whips out two triple triple combo which is what she needs I would be shocked. Joannie did what she could and was rewarded for it.

vCash
    I don't think it is settling, just smart. It is doing what you can do great. If Ashley whips out two triple triple combo which is what she needs I would be shocked. Joannie did what she could and was rewarded for it.
    Wagner is capable of the 3-3 in the SP and 2A/3T in the FS - she does not currently do them.

As for TWO 3-3s I think that is unlikely.

vCash
    [QUOTE=pinky166;3766813]Apart from Leah, who was by no means put out an embarrassing skate, the junior ladies FS was one heck of a well-skated event. 5 clean/nearly clean performances in a row, most of them with 7 triples, 4 of them with 3lz-3ts! I was very impressed.QUOTE]

Yes, hope this isn't being ignored by the US judges. Pretty amazing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Wagner is capable of the 3-3 in the SP and 2A/3T in the FS - she does not currently do them.

As for TWO 3-3s I think that is unlikely.
    Honest question here, has she ever done either of those cleanly in the same competition? 4CC maybe? I don't remember. If she can do the same 3/3 in the LP with the axel combo at least she would have a fighting chance against a cleanish skate by either of the top two.

I am actually super excited for Nationals. Gold, Nagasu, Wagner, Gao... the list goes on. I just hope the judging is fair and consistent.

vCash
    I am actually super excited for Nationals... ................ I just hope the judging is fair and consistent.
    Good luck with the fair and consistent judging!

Also, unfortunately, I think the top-placed skaters will end up being the ones that just don't happen to be injured on that particular day, not necessarily the best skaters. (Last skater standing situation)

vCash
    Honest question here, has she ever done either of those cleanly in the same competition?
    She hit the 3f/3t in the sp last season at 4CC and the post-worlds Japanese competition and the 2010 CoR, but all had two-footed landings.
    The only time I've seen her hit 2a/3t without a two-footed landing was at the 2010 CoR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Remember Irina's 3lp and MK's 3f? Each was considered $$$ jump for those skaters, respectively.
    How can a triple flip be a money jump for you when it failed you at the most important event of your life?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't think the 3f was Michelle's most consistent triple, moreso than the loop, but she certainly was more consistent with her lutz and toe for example.

When Irina fell on that loop in Turino my mouth dropped open for about ten full minutes. After watching her (erroneously) perform 3 triple loops at Worlds the year before it was just so shocking...

Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast