Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Hannah Miller is a delight. Wonderful personality and great energy with her skating. Ladies transition to senior is a tough path though. I would peg her as someone a lot of pair guys are eyeing as I think her body type, outgoing personality and skillset would make her ideally suited to rocket right to the top of senior pairs should she not have a breakthrough in senior in the 2015 season. Just crystal balling it probably too early, but she is like Kristi. Double threat potential.

vCash
    Phil Hersh on Christina Gao balancing Harvard and her skating: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...1396768.column
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Hannah Miller is a delight. Wonderful personality and great energy with her skating. Ladies transition to senior is a tough path though. I would peg her as someone a lot of pair guys are eyeing as I think her body type, outgoing personality and skillset would make her ideally suited to rocket right to the top of senior pairs should she not have a breakthrough in senior in the 2015 season. Just crystal balling it probably too early, but she is like Kristi. Double threat potential.

Miller/ Brubaker??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post

Miller/ Brubaker??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    Miller/ Brubaker??
    That's sooo been done before.

http://www.goldenskate.com/tag/marie...ckne-brubaker/

vCash
    But has Hannah ever skated pairs before or does she have a desire to do so? I don't think Rockne is going to be waiting around until 2015. He needs a new partner like yesterday already!

ETA:

The Hersh article on Gao is apparently only available to digital members. Can someone provide a synopsis?

vCash
    I am frankly puzzled as to what the judges saw in Miller. Her jumps are tiny and her skating lacks amplitude. And to have her with a 3loop2loop score as well as two Russian girls with 3lutz3toes is just ???. On the bright side, if she hangs on, she is probably going to Jr Worlds.

It looks as though Keiser has absolutely no fight. She also needs to work on power and jumping height.

So mad for Wang. She looks so absolutely solid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I am frankly puzzled as to what the judges saw in Miller. Her jumps are tiny and her skating lacks amplitude. And to have her with a 3loop2loop score as well as two Russian girls with 3lutz3toes is just ???. On the bright side, if she hangs on, she is probably going to Jr Worlds.

It looks as though Keiser has absolutely no fight. She also needs to work on power and jumping height.

So mad for Wang. She looks so absolutely solid
    I hate to be very critical of skaters, especially when they are that young. But with that said, I am in agreement with you. I do think she's pleasing to watch, but she shouldn't score as high as she does imo. She needs a lot crossovers to gain any sort of speed, the skating skills score should have been lower. Then again, I didn't like anyone in the JGPF other than Wang. And I certainly do not like Radionova but that's another story..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I hate to sound so negative, but I agree about Miller. I find her very average in every respect and even with a 3z/1t I would have put Wang ahead or at least very close with much higher PCS scores.

vCash
    Wang has very weak presentation skills though IMO. Her strength is definitely her jumps. I don't see any emotion from her while she skates. I do agree that Hannah is overscored, and never quite understood what gives her those big scores, but her presentation was the best of the group.

vCash
    for Ashley. Guess you can't keep that up forever, but to the very least, her LP was not disastrous. Well congrats to her for winning her first GPF medal!

Like I've said about Christina, she has a bad habit of peaking early in the season and then fizzles out later on. Her LP was fine, but that short was disastrous.

vCash
    Unfortunately, I also agree about Hannah Miller. She has good presence and really does the choreography well but for whatever reason she seems to get zero flow out of her jumps. I do disagree with the comment about Wang's presentation though. I don't care what her body build is, she has lovely movement of arms and body positions through the choreography and even though she is built more like a gymnast, she seems very graceful to me in the way she moves on the ice. I love her programs and she does the choreography so well - plus great jumps. I think presentation is more than just the 'O' facial expressions - at least for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    for Ashley. Guess you can't keep that up forever, but to the very least, her LP was not disastrous. Well congrats to her for winning her first GPF medal!
    It was bound to happen at some point- hopefully now that that's out of her system, she can focus on being in peak condition for Worlds

vCash
    Ashley's LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WE7fG_IPms

She fell really hard on the 2x! I was reluctant to watch after seeing the scores, but glad I did when I saw how gutsy she is. She nailed the 3f at the end! She also had the Russian audience cheering her on which was just great to see. Besides coaches an GP wins, it seems like Ashley is having more and more in common w/ Sasha - splatting twice en route to a silver medal

BTW, no one did really well at the GPF. Akiko appeared to do just as poorly and Mao's performance wasn't exactly the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zoe111 View Post
    Unfortunately, I also agree about Hannah Miller. She has good presence and really does the choreography well but for whatever reason she seems to get zero flow out of her jumps. I do disagree with the comment about Wang's presentation though. I don't care what her body build is, she has lovely movement of arms and body positions through the choreography and even though she is built more like a gymnast, she seems very graceful to me in the way she moves on the ice. I love her programs and she does the choreography so well - plus great jumps. I think presentation is more than just the 'O' facial expressions - at least for me.
    I agree about Wang. Unfortunately, I think regarding PCS, she may be fighting an uphill battle like Flatt due to her body build. For example, I like Pogorilaya, she has a lot of energy and is a talented jumper, but and her overall skating and maturity is not really close to comparable to Wang, but she's a pretty blonde lithe Russian girl with legs up to her armpits who lands 3-3s so the gap between Wang's PCS and her own is almost non-existant and thus Pogostick winds up ahead. Maybe if Wang can start skating clean SPs, the judges will reward her a bit more in terms of PCS, but idk, I'm not really surprised at the scores and placement of Pogorilaya despite being 14 and virtually unknown because the judges historically like that kind of skater.

Anyways, Hannah has nice presentation, and I'm happy she skated so well here. The content won't be very competitive in seniors though, if her jumps even survive any more growing she may do. But it's nice to see her do well for now, and she's probably a near lock for JW now so I'm happy for her. Also, they say she's working on a 3-3 so maybe it could happen. The jumps are small but her posture and presentation are better than Lam's so they don't bother me so much. Also the transitions were good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Ashley's LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WE7fG_IPms

She fell really hard on the 2x! I was reluctant to watch after seeing the scores, but glad I did when I saw how gutsy she is. She nailed the 3f at the end! She also had the Russian audience cheering her on which was just great to see. Besides coaches an GP wins, it seems like Ashley is having more and more in common w/ Sasha - splatting twice en route to a silver medal

BTW, no one did really well at the GPF. Akiko appeared to do just as poorly and Mao's performance wasn't exactly the best.
    I'm sort of relieved for Ashley honestly, it's unrealistic to expect her to skate a perfect FS every time, so I'm glad this snafu happened here where there wasn't really anything on the line. The mistakes happened, she fought through the rest of the program, finally didn't win, but saw she could hold herself together, hold onto a podium spot in a deep field, and score decently despite things going wrong. It's a good learning experience and I'm less worried for Nationals now.

vCash
    Mistakes in the long program is the best thing that could happen to Ashley on her way to worlds (hoping she didn't get injured though). Every skater needs down events where they make mistakes in order to show up at worlds in top form, GPF was the perfect place to do that. Bonus is that she had a fantastic short and won the silver medal, not to mention she now knows she can fight back from any mistake. She's shown us time and time again that when faced with adversity she just comes back better and better.

vCash
    Yes, better to make the mistakes here than at Nationals or Worlds - but is this just a fluke/anomaly, or the start of a downhill ride? Remember, Wagner now goes into Nationals off this rough skate, PLUS she's got a title there to defend. I'm having flashbacks to 2007 and what happened to Meissner that fall...great at her 2 events (like Wagner), near-disaster at GPF, falling 3 times- just about all thought that was out of her system- but then at 2008 Nationals she has 3 falls again (!) in the FS so you never really know.

Just have to hope Wagner is unaffected in the long-term by that fall, and there are no serious technical issues. Even if there aren't, Nationals is a lot of pressure.

vCash
    Ashley was quoted as saying "The team doctor says I have a hip pointer. I don't know what that is but I can tell you it hurts." She also tweeted: "Thank you for everyone's support and concern! I am okay...it was a very bad fall but I'll be fine, just a bad bruise I hope!!"

She reportedly has withdrawn from tomorrow's Gala exhibition.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ^ Doesn't that mean Ashley is forfeiting her prize money?

According to this, http://www.coreperformance.com/knowl...-injuries.html, a hip pointer can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks to heal, so I wonder if/how much time she'll be taking off from training and if that'll affect her a bit for Nationals.

Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast