Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 1022
  1. #861

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,689
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43479
    3-3 combos called clean at Nationals:
    3Lz+3T+2T: Wang (FS; 11.40 BV, 12.60 points)
    3Lz+3T Gold (FS; 10.10 BV, 11.90 points)
    3F+3T: Hicks (FS; 9.40 BV, 11.20 points)
    3T+3T: Zawadzki (FS; 8.20 BV, 9.50 points); SP: Zawadzki (10.00 points), Nagasu (9.50 points), Gao (9.40 points)

    Peter Oppegard spoke out about Caroline Zhang's 3Lo<+3Lo<< SP combo (Base Value reduced to 5.40, she received 3.80 points for it): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    To Oppegard, the problem lies with the way technical panels use slow-motion viewing to analyze the loop, a jump which takes off from a back outside edge without the assistance of a toe pick, and lands on the same back outside edge.

    "The toe loop is rewarded more often than the loop jump," Oppegard said. "When you slow down the loop jump, the nature of the take-off is a little further around and it can be considered a round-edge jump. You put your toe in for the toe jump just as far around, maybe further, and because there is a toe in the ice, they tend to say the take-off is clean.

    "This edge is a curvy thing; where you start and where you finish on that curve is a little bit subjective. Anyone doing the loop -- especially the triple loop-triple loop, as maybe only Caroline can -- is also leaving herself a little bit vulnerable to the system."

    It's Oppegard's hope that the ISU technical committee, which frequently adjusts international judging system guidelines, will re-examine the issue.

    "These are very smart people who know skating," he said. "I think some allowances [should be] made for the loop. A level playing ground between the toe and the loop, that's all I'm asking for. Caroline has cheated [the loop-loop] in the past, but there is a pretty strong consensus that she did it quite well in Omaha and it was over-deducted."
    Besides Zhang's SP combo, 3-3 combos called underrotated (<) or downgraded (<<) by the technical panel:
    3F+3T< in SP: Hicks, Gold (also received edge call)
    3T+3T< in SP: Siraj
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-01-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  2. #862

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,689
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43479
    I replied to FSWer's question asking about online profiles for the Senior ladies shown on NBC's live Nationals broadcast and thought I would copy over their Team USA profile links and include links to their respective Twitter pages and official sites if they have them.

    1st: Ashley Wagner Team USA profile / Twitter / Official Site
    2nd: Gracie Gold profile / Twitter / Official Site (started in October 2012 but has not been updated since then)
    3rd: Agnes Zawadzki profile / Twitter / Official Site
    4th: Courtney Hicks profile / Twitter (Official Site currently not up at this time)
    5th: Christina Gao profile / Twitter / Official Site
    6th: Yasmin Siraj profile (updated after Nationals)
    7th: Mirai Nagasu profile / Twitter / Official Site
    8th: Samantha Cesario profile / Twitter
    9th: Angela Wang profile / Twitter
    10th: Hannah Miller profile / Twitter / Official Site
    11th: Caroline Zhang profile / Twitter (she hasn't tweeted since August 2012) / Fan Site
    12th: Ashley Cain profile / Twitter / Official Site
    Not shown on NBC:
    13th: Kiri Baga profile / Twitter / Official Site (last updated April 2011)
    14th: Haley Dunne Twitter
    15th: Joelle Forte profile (not fully updated; her Twitter is set to private)
    16th: Becky Bereswill profile / Twitter / Official Site (last updated June 2011)
    17th: Amanda Hofmann
    18th: Sophia Adams Twitter
    19th: Morgan Bell Twitter
    20th: Laney Diggs profile (not fully updated) / Twitter
    Withdrew from 2013 Nationals due to injury:
    Vanessa Lam profile
    Leah Keiser profile / Twitter / Official Site

    Top 4 Juniors at 2013 Nationals:
    Polina Edmunds (no Team USA profile yet; SpicySk8er is her Twitter handle but she has yet to tweet)
    Mariah Bell profile (Sk8rbell2 is her Twitter handle but she has yet to tweet)
    Barbie Long profile / Twitter
    Karen Chen profile / Official Site (includes videos of her 2013 Nationals programs)

    Morgan Bell tweeted this photo of herself with her younger sister, Mariah, today captioned "What I live with....." : http://twitter.com/Sk8rbell1/status/...243008/photo/1
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-01-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: to fix some links
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  3. #863
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,061
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    3-3 combos called clean at Nationals:
    3Lz+3T+2T: Wang (FS; 11.40 BV, 12.60 points)

    Something I missed initially with all of the bs judging going on at Nationals, but...

    Why weren't the judges tripping over their feet to move Angela Wang way up after her fantastic freestyle, as they did for Gracie?!

    both Angela and Gracie screwed up in the short....

    Why isn't Wang being sent to Junior Worlds?! She was in the JGP final!

    It's mind-boggling politics.......................

  4. #864
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,219
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Imo it was too high. Any newbie other than Gracie would have scored much lower imo.
    Gold had already received the same PCS from the international judges at a GP for a program with similar mistakes, the newbie part is irrelevant.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  5. #865
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,219
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Something I missed initially with all of the bs judging going on at Nationals, but...

    Why weren't the judges tripping over their feet to move Angela Wang way up after her fantastic freestyle, as they did for Gracie?!
    While Wang's base was three points less than Gold's, her score over base was less than three points more. Wang received 1.2 GOE on her first two jumping passes, so it was not as if USFS was trying to dump her, but she fell on an underrotated 3S, which wiped out 2.10 of her positive GOE earned on other elements, in addition to the fall deduction, as well as receiving -GOE for two other jump elements, the 3Lo and the 3Lz/2T combination. She also had one L3 spin, as opposed to all L4 spins. The FS is long, and the skater has to deliver throughout to earn the TES and for the judges to trip over their feet to move her up.

    Hicks was the only skater above Wang to have an almost clean program technically; she had-GOE on a downgraded combo (1Lo to start).

    The four of seven skaters above Wang (59.71) who were lower in TES were Wagner (57.45), Gao (59.30), Cesario (58.59), and Zawadzi (54.18). Wagner, Gao, and Zawadzki got substantially higher PCS, and Wang's 53.99 were the lowest of the top 8, with Juniors Hicks (54.58), Cesario (55.82), and Siraj (56.95) behind all of the Seniors in the Top 8, just below Senior Gao's 58.24, the lowest of the Seniors. (Below Wang, Junior Miller [55.20] and Senior Nagasu [60.56] were higher in PCS, while Zhang [53.62] was lower.)

    Gold's and Wagner's PCS were in line with what they received at international competitions for similar programs. I haven't looked at Zawadzki's or Gao's scores from GP's to compare.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  6. #866
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Let's just be happy that we have skaters now that can land 3-3 combo's and most all of them are the younger ladies who have long careers ahead of them. If for no other reason i hope Yuna comes back so we don't see 4 triples win a World championship. There's no excuse for the women to regress technically while the Men push themselves.
    Agreed on this. As much as I love skaters like Kostner it troubles me when 4 triple programs beat those who skate light's out 7 triple programs with good artistic presentation. I don't mind if she beats someone who's basically just a good jumper with so-so presentation though and not much going on in between.

  7. #867
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Gold had already received the same PCS from the international judges at a GP for a program with similar mistakes, the newbie part is irrelevant.
    I don't look to other competitions because all the best skaters weren't at the same competition during the GPs. Mark my words, if Gold and Wagner too for that matter make similar mistakes at Worlds they are NOT going to be held up in PCS scores as they were at Nationals. Ashley might get some benefit of the doubt but not Gracie. I hope I'm wrong though if such a disaster should happen.

  8. #868
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,219
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    Then on the basis of all of the PCS criteria do you think Gold was so over-marked, since part of your argument is that she won't receive the same consideration from the international judging panel when she already has for a flawed performance? Last I saw, the only formidable international (Senior) competition Gold had at USN was Wagner and Zawadzki, and neither Kim nor Asada nor Kostner were in Omaha.

    If it's the field you're so concerned about, then the field at Skate Canada, where Gold (3F/3T<, e) placed 9th in the SP with PCS of 25.66, and which included Gedevanishvili (3Lz/3T<), Osmond (3T/3T), Makarova (3T/3T), Murakami (3T/3T<), Tuktamysheva (3T/3T), Lacoste, and C. Zhang was surely at least as strong as the field at US Nationals, given the high PCS that Gedevanishvili, Makarova, Tuktamysheva, and Murakami had received in the past. Why should Gold receive any less PCS at US Nationals for a program that was comparable in a comparable (at best) field?

    At Rostelecomm, where she led after the SP, the field included Korpi, Sotnikova, Leonova, Murakami, as well as her peers at US Nats, Zawadzki and Zhang. Hardly a weaker field than at USN.

    Wagner, BTW, was given higher PCS for a lesser performance in the SP at 2012 Worlds -- she was 8th, and didn't even skate in the last group -- than she was for stronger performances in GP's, when the entire field wasn't there, either.

    What the data shows is that PCS isn't dropped, but the PCS for the Asadas, Korpis,
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 02-02-2013 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Typos
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  9. #869
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,922
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    If Wagner can at least hang on to 5th then Gold can be 8th which is theoretically very much within her capability.

    I actually would not be surprised, however, to see Gold be the higher finisher (perhaps 4th or 5th if she really delivers), and since Wagner has had a couple of rough FSs lately, if it happens to her again she'll probably be in the 6th-8th range.

    Realistically, though - Gold is 1 for 3 in the short (and the free), so the odds are not good. She's just GOT to hit that short program, because if not, all bets are off. Just like Czisny last year...

    Above all, though....STAY HEALTHY. PLEASE. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL.

  10. #870
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,219
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    First things first: If Gold does well at 4C's, she could earn enough WS points to at least be in the 13-15 WS group going into Worlds, drawing for one of the last three places in Group 3. Regardless of how she skates the SP, she is likely to be scored better than if she drew for the 1st or 2nd spot overall.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  11. #871
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,204
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    Nagasu finished 8th in GP standings, ahead of Agnes and Gold, and her combined scores were ahead of Gao, Agnes, and Gold. Gao had a relatively easy draw at Skate America where she got her silver. I don't agree that Nagasu's early season paled in comparison with Gao, Agnes and Gold. Her international SB is still ahead of all three.
    It's not so meaningful to compare scores across competitions.

    Well, Gao managed a clean competition at Skate America and made GPF, not to mention barely missing a thing at the free skates at her GPs and GPF, so I would definitely have her ahead. It wasn't so much the fact that she had less competition at Skate America (or that some of her competitors bombed), but more the fact that she skated very well there that she won the silver.

    Gold won 2 silvers coming into Nationals and landed a hard 3/3 at each of her competitions. I don't believe she received any < calls coming into Nationals. I do not get Zawadzki but she did manage an international win this season.

    Nagasu's best outing resulted in a bronze at NHK, but even then she had two triples called UR there.

  12. #872
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,941
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    If Wagner can at least hang on to 5th then Gold can be 8th which is theoretically very much within her capability.

    I actually would not be surprised, however, to see Gold be the higher finisher (perhaps 4th or 5th if she really delivers), and since Wagner has had a couple of rough FSs lately, if it happens to her again she'll probably be in the 6th-8th range.

    Realistically, though - Gold is 1 for 3 in the short (and the free), so the odds are not good. She's just GOT to hit that short program, because if not, all bets are off. Just like Czisny last year...

    Above all, though....STAY HEALTHY. PLEASE. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL.
    The only thing I want is for the US to gain 3 spots for Sochi. I don't even care about a medal at this point.

  13. #873
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,922
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It'd be nice if they did, but I'm pretty much past hoping by now. Merely showing up at worlds NOT injured is good enough for me at this point.

  14. #874
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,219
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    Progression of TES and Avg. PCS, including (% difference from USN), [bold]=USN not the highest TES score. Golds scores are broken down in detail elsewhere.

    Zawadzki: RC -> NHK -> USN
    SP: 33.01 (-8.88) -> 27.73 (-29.61%) -> 35.95; 6.80 (-11.79%) -> 6.82 (-11.33%) -> 7.60
    FS: 51.1 (-6.03%) -> 51.61 (-4.98%) -> 54.18; 6.92 (-10.50%) -> 6.84 (-11.67%) -> 7.64

    International judges consistent on Zawadzki's SP and FS avg PCS, despite large swing in SP TES. US judges rate Zawadzki between 10.5% and 11.79% higher than international panels.

    Wagner: SA -> TEB -> GPF -> USN
    SP: 30.58 (-13.60%) -> 32.52 (-6.83%) -> 34.95 (+.60%) -> 34.74; 7.51 (-9.32%) -> 7.64 (-7.40%) -> 7.87 (-4.26% )-> 8.21
    FS: 63.83 (+10%) -> 62.91 (+8.68%) -> 54.93 (-4.59%) -> 57.45; 8.0 (-2.95%) -> 8.08 (-1.83%) -> 7.82 (-5.21%) -> 8.23

    International panels Avg. PCS in SP trend with TES and close enough in FS. Her SP TES at USN were marginally lower than at GPF, but her FS was noticeably lower than her early GP's, although higher than for her GPF FS.

    Zhang: SC -> RC -> USN
    SP: 27.67 (+14.35%) -> 21.84 (-8.52%) -> 23.70; 6.33 (-3.9%) -> 6.08 (-8.14%) -> 6.58
    FS: 46.96 (-24.11%) -> 48.57 (-19.99%) -> 58.28; 6.24 (-7.34%) -> 5.44 (-23.30%) ->6.70

    International judges Avg PCS in SP trend with TES. Major dumpage in Avg. PCS at Rostelecom Cup, a .80 drop per PCS, despite over a point higher TES.

    Gao: SA -> TEB -> GPF -> USN
    SP: 31.01 (-2.97%) -> 26.48 (-20.58%) -> 22.30 (-43.18%) -> 31.93; 6.41 (-8.50%) -> 6.52 (-6.7%) -> 6.56 (-5.92%) -> 7.00
    FS: 60.64 (+2.21%) -> 57.25 (-3.58%)-> 55.90 (-6.08%) -> 59.30; 7.12 (-2.19%) -> 6.86 (-6.06%) -> 6.39 (-14.0%) -> 7.28

    International Avg. PCS very consistent despite big swings in TES, including big drop at GPF, and even small increases as TES went down. They seem to have made up for it the FS. Gao's USN FS TES were marginally lower than her TES at SA.

    Nagasu: COC -> NHK -> USN
    SP: 31.04 (-11.89%) -> 32.36 (-7.32%) -> 34.73; 7.18 (-3.27%) -> 7.21 (-2.9%) -> 7.42
    FS: 45.89 (-8.52%) -> 56.36 (+11.64%) -> 49.80; 7.23 (-4.76%) -> 7.40 (-2.41%) -> 7.57

    Nagasu's TES and PCS increased in the SP and FS. She didn't get much of a PCS bump from a 8+ point difference in TES between her two GP's, and her international and national PCS weren't much different, although they were very strong. Her USN FS TES was 6.56 lower than her highest GP FS TES.

    Since in no cases did the US judges give lower Avg. PCS than international judges, and in the majority of cases, the USN was the highest-rated technical performances, it's hard to see where the judges were gunning for one skater or another in PCS. The most consistent variances from the international scores were Zawadzki's: international judges thought she was a high 6's PCS skater, and the US judges thought she deserved 7.5+. The big variances were over Caroline Zhang's 5.44 in the RC FS, and over Christina Gao's 6.39 in the GPF FS, and in Zhang's case, her USN FS TES were significantly higher than in her GP, whereas the difference in TES between Gao's USN FS and her GPF FS was 3.9.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  15. #875
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,414
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Here is an example of more inspired footwork that Gracie and her team might consider adapting for the "marching" section of Life is Beautiful, courtesy of Jeremy Abbott and his choreographer for his 2011 fs at 4CCs:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blc_I-vFCFo scroll to 2:30

  16. #876
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    474
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Here is an example of more inspired footwork that Gracie and her team might consider adapting for the "marching" section of Life is Beautiful, courtesy of Jeremy Abbott and his choreographer for his 2011 fs at 4CCs:
    While it's not my favorite sequence from Jeremy, it's definitely better than Gracie's (this isn't a bad thing, Jeremy's musicality is better than most people's). I wonder what stops skaters from just taking another skater's choreo or footwork. What would the repercussions be? Obviously some fans and a few skaters would notice, but would it be that big of a deal? Copying is a form of flattery. Especially if she asked for permission from Jeremy, I bet she'd have his permission to use some of that footwork, being that they're in different competitions and he probably supports her trying to grow on the second mark.

  17. #877
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    206
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Hello, I just wanted to ask, are there any videos of Ashley and Gracie from US champs exhibition?

  18. #878

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,689
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43479
    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineC View Post
    Hello, I just wanted to ask, are there any videos of Ashley and Gracie from US champs exhibition?
    Did you try searching youtube?

    The music was:
    Ashley Wagner - "Your Song" by Ellie Goulding
    Gracie Gold - "Girl On Fire" by Alicia Keys
    Agnes Zawadzki - "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston
    Courtney Hicks - "What Faith Can Do" by Kutless (she did a Rippon 3F under spotlight!)
    Polina Edmunds' performance of "I want to Hold Your Hand" (female rendition, according to TanithandBenFan) was chacked by NBC.

    Now that the exhibition has aired on NBC, subscribers to IceNetwork should be able to watch the entire show when it's put up in the coming week, I assume.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  19. #879
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    206
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Did you try searching youtube?

    The music was:
    Ashley Wagner - "Your Song" by Ellie Goulding
    Gracie Gold - "Girl On Fire" by Alicia Keys
    Agnes Zawadzki - "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston
    Courtney Hicks - "What Faith Can Do" by Kutless (she did a Rippon 3F under spotlight!)
    Polina Edmunds' performance of "I want to Hold Your Hand" (female rendition, according to TanithandBenFan) was chacked by NBC.

    Now that the exhibition has aired on NBC, subscribers to IceNetwork should be able to watch the entire show when it's put up in the coming week, I assume.
    I tried on youtube, but I couldn't find anything, so I asked you.
    And I'm not Icenetwork subscriber

  20. #880

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,689
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43479
    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineC View Post
    I tried on youtube, but I couldn't find anything, so I asked you.
    Videos may turn up later on youtube, so keep checking.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •