Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Now that we know the origin, what does Chacking mean?
    When a skater gets left off of a TV broadcast for no good reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Now that we know the origin, what does Chacking mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    When a skater gets left off of a TV broadcast for no good reason.
    "Chalkage," as used here

Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I'm fully prepared for Gao to beat Gold and Zawadzki at 4CC and make her chalkage of being OTP at Nationals just that much more apparent
    must mean something else, since being off the podium and not being shown on television are different things. Chack medaled, and Gao was shown on television.

Of course, it is remotely possible that pinky166 doesn't know what she is talkng about.

vCash
    I agree. The judges rewarded her for skating well in the FS, this situation was a bit similar to 2011 Worlds in that the points among the top 10 or so were very close. Pretty much the entire penultimate group, save Cain, skated lights out. Then so did Gao and Siraj, Courtney and Agnes made less errors than Mirai, and Ashley with the SP lead barely edged out Gold as it was, so Mirai dropping to 7th wasn't that big of a shock. She didn't seem really upset by her scores either, 173 is solid, it wasn't until she saw she was 7th that she wound up upset.
    Yes. And by the time she finished she knew she didn't skate well - she just didn't know so many other girls did better, hence the break down when her placement was shown.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    LOL, that's a fun use of the search feature.

Just to add to what Marco said, Mirai did have the 4th highest PCS. It was her TES that dragged her down.

I would disagree, though, with your assessment of her GP season. I thought it was very good and reliable. Nothing brilliant, but a solid, respectable effort showing consistent improvement. Of all the US girls with 2 events, she did better over those two events than anyone except Ashley, I believe.
    When she won 2008 Nationals, she was expected to win GPs in 2009 and contend alongside Yuna and Mao in 2010. To date, I don't believe she has won a single GP and in fact it took her many years to even medal at her first GP.

For this GP season, Wagner won both of her events, other than that none of the US girls medaled at both their events - Gao and Gold did manage a silver medal (and Gao made GPF). Nagasu and Zawadzki won a bronze only, but Zawadzki also won a fall international, with Gold winning the silver. Nagasu won the bronze from Finlandia. While all respectable, Nagasu's season so far would pale in comparison to some of these girls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    I agree that Nagasu's jumps were judged fairly, but I think it's unfortunate that a lot of other skaters got overlooked. I thought almost every jump Siraj did was under-rotated by some degree, yet she got no downgrades. I think Cesario's first flip was also >> worthy. Then there's Hicks and I'm proud of her for fixing her flutz, but she shouldn't get anything higher than mid 5's for PCS. I think Nagasu should have placed at least one place, if not two places, higher than she did.
    Many of Nagasu's jumps were cheated even to the naked eye. It's difficult to give her benefit of the doubt when almost all jumps need to be reviewed for rotation.

Hicks' foot is hideous, but she has good power and flow plus some complex moves in her programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    For someone not mad, you sure have posted this enough times. As has already been stated she was given 3.5 points in PCS than her earlier GP, and she skated far better here. Her 7 triples were of high quality, and she got +GOE for them...Ashley, Agnes, Christina and Mirai did not complete triples of comparable number, difficulty or quality. She was careful to get the best possible levels on her spins and footwork too. Yes, she was generously scored in the SP, but had she not skated 'lights out' in the LP (or if Agnes has not botched up yet another LP), Gracie wouldn't be going to Worlds.
    Many of us have posted several times on the same subject. I'm sure you've done so too. If you're going to be rolling eyes at me rather than have a discussion like an adult I have nothing further to say to you.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 01-30-2013 at 07:15 PM.

vCash
    Hicks was overscored. She isnt a good skater.

vCash
    With all of the attention on the senior ladies judging debacle, seems that Polina Edmunds got lost in the shuffle! (By the way, did Phil Hersh have any articles on her after her win at Nationals?) This girl has triple-triples and artistry and is only 14 years old! Why isn't USFS promoting the heck out of her, as they do with some skaters? What will they do with her next year if she skates the lights out of everyone at Nationals?! Can't understand why people on these boards and USFS are only looking to Ashley and Gracie for Sochi? Maybe new, fresh skaters should be promoted?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanlysacek View Post
    Hicks' jumps are at least as good, if not better than Gracie's. And their artistry level is about equal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanlysacek View Post
    Hicks has huge jumps and decent presentation. She's very similar to Gracie, and to me their artistry is about on the same level. Gracie just gets bigger PCS marks because of her hype and also she's cover girl pretty with longer limbs and a more ideal body type compared to Courtney. I feel bad saying that, but on some level I think it's true. USFS is probably just happy they found a skater who can do a 3lz-3t and has huge powerful jumps like Tonya Harding, but happens to be exceptionally pretty with a body type longer and leaner than one would expect from a power jumper. I also think the same thing helped Yuna Kim...usually, female skaters who jump so well and so big are usually associated with being "butch" or "mannish", so when some teen can jump like that and still look feminine and attractive, it's like, OMG best skater ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Why isn't USFS promoting the heck out of her, as they do with some skaters?
    Her last name isn't Gold. I mean, it isn't that often that an elite athlete comes along with a name that is the same as the color of a medal. It is a headline writer's dream. Edmunds really doesn't lend itself to great puns.

vCash
    With all of the attention on the senior ladies judging debacle, seems that Polina Edmunds got lost in the shuffle! (By the way, did Phil Hersh have any articles on her after her win at Nationals?) This girl has triple-triples and artistry and is only 14 years old! Why isn't USFS promoting the heck out of her, as they do with some skaters? What will they do with her next year if she skates the lights out of everyone at Nationals?! Can't understand why people on these boards and USFS are only looking to Ashley and Gracie for Sochi? Maybe new, fresh skaters should be promoted?
    No, let them fly under the radar and develop out of the spotlight...I hope Gold isn't being set up for failure with all this media and fan hype. What will happen if she doesn't skate well at worlds??

vCash
    With so many senior ladies age-eligible for JW this season and the vast majority of them skating well, I think it was pretty likely the junior ladies winner was going to be left at home, unless it was Barbie Long and she won with a really big score, because she has the TES mins and did win a silver on the JGP. Polina is fab but USFS likely didn't want to have to send her out before JW to get the TES minimums, especially considering the decision was obviously tough enough without Polina in the mix considering neither Wang nor Miller are on the team. I'm sure they recognize Edmund's huge potential, but at this point, she still struggles with URs a bit and isn't quite out of the woods yet in regards to growing/puberty, so they probably just want to be careful and see if she can keep it up as she continues to grow up before hyping her. Plus, it's different from Gracie last season, who won juniors with a much higher score, was 16 to Polina's 14, nearly done growing compared to Polina's being in the middle of growing, and it being 2 years from Sochi, where she'd be 18 and a prime age for the team, compared to Sochi being 1 year from now when Polina will only be 15 which would be very young to make the team. If she continues to kick butt I'm sure she'll receive a lot of buzz in the next quad heading into 2018.

vCash
    .....Gracie just gets bigger PCS marks because of her hype and also she's cover girl pretty with longer limbs and a more ideal body type compared to Courtney. I feel bad saying that, but on some level I think it's true. USFS is probably just happy they found a skater who can do a 3lz-3t and has huge powerful jumps like Tonya Harding, but happens to be exceptionally pretty with a body type longer and leaner than one would expect from a power jumper. ....usually, female skaters who jump so well and so big are usually associated with being "butch" or "mannish", so when some teen can jump like that and still look feminine and attractive, it's like, OMG best skater ever.
    Wow! If you're right, and sadly you probably are, no wonder people question how figure skating can truly be considered a sport! Sounds more like a beauty pageant?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Her last name isn't Gold. I mean, it isn't that often that an elite athlete comes along with a name that is the same as the color of a medal. It is a headline writer's dream. Edmunds really doesn't lend itself to great puns.
    Ha, ha, kinda funny-but probably true..................

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    No, let them fly under the radar and develop out of the spotlight...I hope Gold isn't being set up for failure with all this media and fan hype. What will happen if she doesn't skate well at worlds??
    Yah, but if some of these other "unknown skaters" develop out of the spotlight, no matter how talented they are, if they get no USFS hype, they won't be sent to Sochi!

If Gracie doesn't skate well at world's, Scott Hamilton will make sure she has three fluff pieces at Nationals! Used to admire him, but he is so annoying fawning over skaters................

vCash
    Hicks has huge jumps and decent presentation. She's very similar to Gracie, and to me their artistry is about on the same level. Gracie just gets bigger PCS marks because of her hype and also she's cover girl pretty with longer limbs and a more ideal body type compared to Courtney. I feel bad saying that, but on some level I think it's true. USFS is probably just happy they found a skater who can do a 3lz-3t and has huge powerful jumps like Tonya Harding, but happens to be exceptionally pretty with a body type longer and leaner than one would expect from a power jumper. I also think the same thing helped Yuna Kim...usually, female skaters who jump so well and so big are usually associated with being "butch" or "mannish", so when some teen can jump like that and still look feminine and attractive, it's like, OMG best skater ever.
    Gracie v. Courtney = Nancy v. Tonya? Well, it would benefit ratings ...

vCash
    She'll pick herself up and skate on. What else do people expect to happen?
    It's not the first time people have highlighted someone's potential and it won't be the last.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    She'll pick herself up and skate on. What else do people expect to happen?
    It's not the first time people have highlighted someone's potential and it won't be the last.
    Question was more or less meant to be hypothetical...

NBC spent the ENTIRE group 3 warmup talking about, oops I mean hyping Gold like she's the best thing since sliced bread. That raises expectations to unbelievable levels. Especially since her track record internationally (so far) isn't anything earth-shattering...if anything, Wagner is the more decorated skater even taking ONLY this season into account...

Summary of the above: Gold is receiving hype she has not earned yet.

vCash
    Question was more or less meant to be hypothetical...

NBC spent the ENTIRE group 3 warmup talking about, oops I mean hyping Gold like she's the best thing since sliced bread. That raises expectations to unbelievable levels. Especially since her track record internationally (so far) isn't anything earth-shattering...if anything, Wagner is the more decorated skater even taking ONLY this season into account...

Summary of the above: Gold is receiving hype she has not earned yet.
    Exactly! She was being hyped, (whether by USFS or the Gold PR machine, or both, I'm not sure), before she even competed at the Junior level at Nationals last year!

This year, her senior season was not great, yet, you wouldn't think that listening to the commentators at Nationals. A lot of spin going on there.

Gracie has yet to put down both a decent short and long at one competition this season to deserve all the hype.......

& worst of all, she herself seems to be drinking the Kool-Aid considering the arrogant, condescending remark she had about Wagner and Zawadski "deserving to be up there with her"!!! How pompous!!!

Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast