Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm 90% sure that Ashley worked at American Eagle...when she was with Hill. I don't remember hearing anything about a job once she got out here, but I did read something about attending school (IIRC, she's a part-time student at a local school that caters to nontraditional students).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    It wasn't clear in the Sports Illustrated article if she was still working this part-time job. BTW, both article links (SI & IN) are posted in the Wagner thread in GSD (posts #23 & 28): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3755478
    I found my answer in a Hersh article before 2012 Worlds:
    Wagner's first prize at Four Continents was $15,000, and she had earned another $12,000 for third and fourth places on the Grand Prix. That validated her decision to quit a part-time job at a LuckyBrand jeans store in the Mission Viejo, Calif., mall.

"I was going to school (two courses at a community college), to work and skating, and I was fried at the end of the day," she said. "I had to choose between doing well on the Grand Prix and maybe making some decent money or making $8.50 an hour and not doing well."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    My hopes:

World Team - Wagner/Nagasu

4CC - Gao/ Zawadski/ Cesario

JW - Gold/ Lam/ Wang

vCash
    I'd love to see Mirai kick butt and take the second spot for Worlds. Ashley is my favorite of the US senior ladies, so obviously I want her to defend her title.

The one thing that must not happen this year is Mirai (or any other skater) getting credit at US Nationals for things they wouldn't get credit for internationally (which has happened before across the board). USFSA cannot afford to have lenient calls made at these championships. It would be shooting themselves in the foot. If Mirai takes the second spot, I want it to be because her URs are actually fixed.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    The one thing that must not happen this year is Mirai (or any other skater) getting credit at US Nationals for things they wouldn't get credit for internationally (which has happened before across the board). USFSA cannot afford to have lenient calls made at these championships. It would be shooting themselves in the foot. If Mirai takes the second spot, I want it to be because her URs are actually fixed.
    Major word to this. And that includes PCS too. However, to secure 3 spots for the Olys we need Nagasu IMO. Unless Gracie Gold lives up to her hype (which is well deserved, she's charming and has the jumps) I want Nagasu on the World team this year. Let's just be smart. Mishin in an interview on another thread said something like 'rather one spot for great than two or three spots for bad'. Well, I want the three spots, because after all the parents have put in their kid's skating, they deserve the chance at a third spot, even if it means nowhere close to the podium. That's where I think USFS has shot themselves in the foot. Their actions wrt world teams has hurt the other skaters. I wouldn't be surprised if some families just had a sit-down pow-wow with their skating princess and said "Enough, there's only one spot, or two spots for Worlds/Olympics. We're done paying these bills". The USFS with their worlds decisions (and others) have probably decreased the participation from those who are +/- in the game so to speak.

Seriously, if parents of competitive skaters are on here, aren't you just a tad annoyed at how STUPID the USFS has been in securing the maximum number of entrants? Your Honey Boo Boo might not ever make a podium at an Olympics, but at least she GOT THERE. I'm surprised more parents haven't spoken up, but they are probably afraid for fear of judging retaliation.
    Last edited by Alex Forrest; 11-29-2012 at 03:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    Major word to this. And that includes PCS too. However, to secure 3 spots for the Olys we need Nagasu IMO. Unless Gracie Gold lives up to her hype (which is well deserved, she's charming and has the jumps) I want Nagasu on the World team this year. Let's just be smart. Mishin in an interview on another thread said something like 'rather one spot for great than two or three spots for bad'. Well, I want the three spots, because after all the parents have put in their kid's skating, they deserve the chance at a third spot, even if it means nowhere close to the podium. That's where I think USFS has shot themselves in the foot. Their actions wrt world teams has hurt the other skaters. I wouldn't be surprised if some families just had a sit-down pow-wow with their skating princess and said "Enough, there's only one spot, or two spots for Worlds/Olympics. We're done paying these bills". The USFS with their worlds decisions (and others) have probably decreased the participation from those who are +/- in the game so to speak.

Seriously, if parents of competitive skaters are on here, aren't you just a tad annoyed at how STUPID the USFS has been in securing the maximum number of entrants? Your Honey Boo Boo might not ever make a podium at an Olympics, but at least she GOT THERE. I'm surprised more parents haven't spoken up, but they are probably afraid for fear of judging retaliation.
    I actually agree w/ you re Gold v. Nagasu for the 2nd spot: I'm in Nagasu's corner, unless Gold lives up to expectations and thus, can't be denied that spot.

vCash
    After seeing Christina Gao skate live in person at SA last month, my bet's on her making the team, period.

She skates with speed, power, attack, and all her jumps were perfect, and huge.

As for Ashley, she's the golden girl, and rightfully so. I don't expect that to change at Nationals, she just has to keep it up.

vCash
    The results are likely to be very close, especially between second, third, and fourth places. I feel that at this point, Gracie Gold is probably favored for the second spot (with her jumping ability as the key factor since solid 3/3 jumps are often more highly rewarded than having a complete package, i.e., jumps and budding artistry, such as Gao possesses). I love what I have seen from Christina Gao this season, and I'd love to see her grab the silver and a spot to Worlds, but if Gold skates to her current ability and lands everything, as I said, she might be favored by USFS in order to keep her in front of international judges, priming her for the future (whether or not that's the right or wrong strategy).

As far as Mirai, I enjoy seeing her battling back with more fire and sparkle than she exhibited last season, but it may not be enough for her to make the 2013 World team. If Mirai skates well at Nats, surely she will secure a trip to 4CC. I think as things currently stand, Gracie and Christina may have an edge over Mirai (even if they all skate their best).

Nationals results could possibly end up: Ashley, Gracie, Christina, Mirai.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    When has Mirai ever gotten special treatment at Nationals? LOL If anything they pick her apart more than international judges and inflate other PCS while leaving hers alone.

vCash
    Mirai was judged quite favorably in the free skate in 2008, when she won her title.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Mirai was judged quite favorably in the free skate in 2008, when she won her title.
    Uh, no. I was there. Mirai was the clear winner that day, no question. If anything, I was surprised to see Flatt's FS score so high.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I thought the judging was fair. It's not like she won the LP, IIRC she placed 3rd in that segment which was about right.

Anywho, the scores for all of Nagasu, Flatt, and Wagner were inflated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    When has Mirai ever gotten special treatment at Nationals? LOL If anything they pick her apart more than international judges and inflate other PCS while leaving hers alone.
    Was that in response to me? If so, I encourage you to reread my post. I never claimed that Mirai gets special treatment at US Nationals. I claimed (or implied, actually) that, in the past, callers at nationals have been less strict than callers at international competitions (skaters getting edge deductions all year and then nothing at nationals, etc). Right now, Mirai is having an issue with under rotations. Were the caller to be especially lenient across the board, Mirai might be one of the people who would benefit due to that fact. It would not be good for USFSA to send ANY skater to Worlds because the callers at nats turned a blind eye to under rotations and edge deductions that will be called at Worlds. I want Mirai on the team. But I want her there with her under-rotation issue actually solved.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Was that in response to me? If so, I encourage you to reread my post. I never claimed that Mirai gets special treatment at US Nationals. I claimed (or implied, actually) that, in the past, callers at nationals have been less strict than callers at international competitions (skaters getting edge deductions all year and then nothing at nationals, etc). Right now, Mirai is having an issue with under rotations. Were the caller to be especially lenient across the board, Mirai might be one of the people who would benefit due to that fact. It would not be good for USFSA to send ANY skater to Worlds because the callers at nats turned a blind eye to under rotations and edge deductions that will be called at Worlds. I want Mirai on the team. But I want her there with her under-rotation issue actually solved.
    I just smirk at the idea that Mirai or any other skater might possibly get favorable calls from the USFSA. It is not going to happen with Mirai period.... other skaters... it happens every year. Mirai has gotten edge calls at Nationals when there was video that the call was questionable, if not completely wrong, same with underrotations. Yes, Mirai does have these issues sometimes but not all the time. They seem to just check across the board without actually looking.
    Last edited by Jarrett; 11-29-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    My prediction: Who ever places, there will still be plenty of bitching about the results and who is announced on the Worlds/4CC/JW teams.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Title-less
    vCash
    I do think US judges and callers do not always judge their skaters an intl judge/caller would. It was especially apparent in 2009 and 2012 US nationals when some female skaters got credit for 2.5 to 2.75 turns on their triples. OTOH, 2010 nationals caller for the ladies LP was strict, probably becasue the Olympics was on the line. I hope US will start having strict callers from now on. Some US ladies have borderline rotations and will be at the mercy of the caller come junior worlds or senior worlds. Chances are they will be dinged if the rotations remain the same

I also hope (not that it will happen) that USFS will ask the ladies who want to be considered for JW to show they can do the required jump in the short program. Some ladies will ditch their flip for a more reliable triple for hopes of placing high at nationals, but they may not be able to do as well at junior worlds because of the requirement for the flip.

I also hope GAO and Agnes Z won't be sent back to junior worlds again for the nth time, so let's hope they do well enough for at least a 4CC assignment (or the jw-eligible ladies rocking it and beat one or both). I wish USFS would have an informal rule about not sending ladies who get sent twice/thrice to jw already.

eta: I also hope the judges won't give the short program winner too much of a lead. Many a times the short program winner managed to win or podium despite major mistakes in the long because that skater got a big short program buffer.
    Last edited by jlai; 11-30-2012 at 12:44 AM.

vCash
    Mirai's NHK exhibition

Just gorgeous skating. I would love to see her win back the National title this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I do think US judges and callers do not always judge their skaters an intl judge/caller would. It was especially apparent in 2009 and 2012 US nationals when some female skaters got credit for 2.5 to 2.75 turns on their triples. OTOH, 2010 nationals caller for the ladies LP was strict, probably becasue the Olympics was on the line. I hope US will start having strict callers from now on.

I also hope (not that it will happen) that USFS will ask the ladies who want to be considered for JW to show they can do the required jump in the short program. Some ladies will ditch their flip for a more reliable triple for hopes of placing high at nationals, but they may not be able to do as well at junior worlds because of the requirement for the flip.

I also hope GAO and Agnes Z won't be sent back to junior worlds again for the nth time, so let's hope they do well enough for at least a 4CC assignment. I wish USFS would have an informal rule about not sending ladies who get sent twice/thrice to jw already.
    I think that was also a tactical move made by the technical panel because they wanted Ashley on the team over Mirai (since Ashley had arguably the best results up to that point in the season).

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I think that was also a tactical move made by the technical panel because they wanted Ashley on the team over Mirai (since Ashley had arguably the best results up to that point in the season).
    I'm not sure which tactical move you referred to, since Ashley was known more for two-footing than consistent underrotating,, at least in the past.

The lady who, IMO, got credit for quite a few URs at 2009 nationals was not a senior gp skater, though she competed senior nationally

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I'm not sure which tactical move you referred to, since Ashley was known more for two-footing than consistent underrotating,, at least in the past.

The lady who, IMO, got credit for quite a few URs at 2009 nationals was not a senior gp skater, though she competed senior nationally
    As in strangle downgrading some of Mirai's jumps in the LP (like the triple triple on the 2A-3T combo, which was clearly fully rotated) because they wanted to decrease Mirai's score as much as possible to try to help Ashley.

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast