Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I can't stand those weirdo leaning laybacks. Something about the classic layback is just gorgeous (when done right, that is). I get it, it's not that easy...but nothing in skating is easy. And that side one looks so ugly.
    This is OT in this thread, but I've been thinking for a while that the classic layback position should be a feature so that skaters can't get their high level by skipping over it. Or maybe the wording should be as it was before for the sideways-leaning feature (something like "sideways to back or reverse"), so that just hitting the sideways position and then foot-grabbing isn't good enough. Just IMO.

vCash
    ITA. I've thought that for a while. It should be the only way you can get a level 4 on a layback is if you can achieve that classic layback position with a sufficient lean in the back and leg positioning, or if they can't get the get the leg in the correct position, then the lean in the back should compensate for it like this. Even though she doesn't extend the free leg, her back is parallel to the ice, the spin is fast, the centering is good, and the positions she hits are clean and well executed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Pre-Nationals interview with Ashley Cain, who is making her Senior debut: http://icemusings.blogspot.com/2013/...xperience.html
    Another pre-Nationals interview in the Ice Musings blog, this time with Haley Dunne who has impressed with her Senior SP performances this season: http://icemusings.blogspot.com/2013/...nationals.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    From what it looks like, both Czisny and Flatt have withdrawn....

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Flatt was planning on coming to Nationals? I didn't even know.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    From what it looks like, both Czisny and Flatt have withdrawn....
    Flatt announced back in late October that she was ending her season. She may have been accidently listed as EW (Entry Withdrawn) in the SP start order that was drawn earlier today? Now Czisny and Vanessa Lam as listed as EW. Laney Diggs (5th in Senior Ladies at Pacific Coast Sectionals) has officially replaced Lam in Omaha.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks, totally missed that.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Flatt announced back in late October that she was ending her season. She may have been accidently listed as EW (Entry Withdrawn) in the SP start order that was drawn earlier today? Now Czisny and Vanessa Lam as listed as EW. Laney Diggs (5th in Senior Ladies at Pacific Coast Sectionals) has officially replaced Lam in Omaha.
    Oh whoops, I forgot that Flatt made that announcement...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    But what happens if Mirai does well and makes it to Worlds again? History tells us when she isn't flying under the radar but is expected to do well she crumbles when the pressure is on. Just look how she collapsed in 2011 when Alissa skated lights out right before her. She was beaten before she even took the ice.
    Well, the same can be said of Gracie, for example, also. She hasn't skated well under pressure either this season.

So if Mirai deserves to place first or second at Nationals, the judges shoudn't place her there because, in your opinion, she shouldn't be sent to World's because of her results at a competition that took place in the past??!!

vCash
    Mirai's only been to worlds once...almost 4 years ago. She was just coming off of placing 4th at the Olympics (a total surprise) and was leading after the SP (a complete shock). She folded under the pressure.

I agree she wasn't that great in 2011 and did look defeated before she took the ice, however she didn't "collapse". She wasn't great but she didn't collapse/implode either; she had a fall on a 2A and a botched spin. Personally, I think she did enough to place 2nd but Rachael was the go-to skater after Alissa that year so (as per usual at nationals) she was held up and the rest is a tibia-gate nightmare. Mirai did go to 4CC and place 3rd a few weeks later so...

Mirai isn't the same skater she was in 2011 or last season. She looks more motivated, like she's having more fun and like she's enjoying skating more this year. Who knows how well she'll do? Give her a chance...

vCash
    If the above competitors....Czisny, Flatt and Lam, or any other competitor, had all filed their paperwork with USFS (intent to compete at US Nationals, etc by the deadlines), then they are official entrants, and therefore would be posted as such. Once they are part of the official entrant list, the referee would list them as "EW: entry withdrawn" for the SP draw for the referee. SOP. ;-)

vCash
    I'll post this here too.

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/

I'm on Twitter now (@NakedIceBlog)! I don't know if there's a thread for the forum in terms of Twitter (where everyone can follow each other; I found kwanette! ) but if you follow me I'll follow you!

vCash
    Has this been posted? It's a nice interview with Mirai prior to leaving for Omaha...

http://figureskatersonline.com/news/...fine-who-i-am/

She really, really sounds like she's in a better place. I love what she said about not thinking too far ahead and just taking everything one competition at a time.

You can do it Mirai!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Has this been posted? It's a nice interview with Mirai prior to leaving for Omaha...

http://figureskatersonline.com/news/...fine-who-i-am/

She really, really sounds like she's in a better place. I love what she said about not thinking too far ahead and just taking everything one competition at a time.

You can do it Mirai!
    Thank you! She does seem to be in a better place and I hope that translates to the ice these next few days!

Banned Member
    vCash
    That is a great interview with Mirai, and I wouldn't be surprised if she pulls another 2010 where everyone in the building thought she won, but didn't get the marks. I guess that's wrong, I'm sure a very cold rink Mom thought Flatt was perfection and deserved to win decidedly, but let's get back to reality. I love Ashley, love her packaging, but Mirai from day one was one of those 'special' skaters. Too bad the mindgames and UR's have held her back. I hope everyone skates well for themselves this weekend, but I'm Team Mirai (with a realistic attitude...). I hope she's proud of whatever she does, because her skating improved immensely in the last year and it was clear she has put the sweat in. This should be an interesting competition, because the politics scream Wagner/Gold for Worlds IMO.

And doesn't Nagasu just come across as a more centered, and NICE young woman? She doesn't seem to have that b*tch quality that raises you to that final level, but dang she has all the skills needed to be a champion.

After 2010 with Flatt emerging as national champ, I've lost faith in the sport (well it happened before then, but I thought Flatt's win was egregiously political and wrong). Now I just want everyone to skate their best and forget about getting a 7.5 PCS instead of the 8.5 they deserve. It's the only way I can watch the sport now, I just can't care about the outcomes. It's the skating that matters.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    What frustrated me about Mirai at last year Nats, was that she'd be skating and performing and then kind of fade away and everything became mechanical, as if she just mentally checked out of there. Then she'd come back and perform again. I'd love to see her performing the entire program this time, in an engaged, exciting way.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Re-posting this news from the US Nationals forum in Kiss and Cry:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Leah Keiser has officially withdrawn. The starting order has been updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Leah

At least her JGP Turkey gold will get her funding for next season and making the JGPF should be more than enough to get her back on the JGP next season.
    Tweeted by @LynnRutherford yesterday (Jan. 22) afternoon:
    "Leah Keiser may have a foot or ankle problem; she is limping a bit & missed some jumps in practice. Coach Nicks is concerned. #Omaha2013"

ETA on Jan. 24 that there's now a statement by Keiser about her injury withdrawal from the Senior Ladies event on her site: http://leahkeiser.com/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-24-2013 at 07:30 PM.

vCash
    Looks like Mirai will be in the mix up for the free skate!

vCash
    How are you guys watching? I'd really like to watch and I don't have an IN subscription!

vCash
    ^ Lol I'm just going to wait for the youtube videos lol

Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast