Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 1022
  1. #281
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,940
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The spins AND the Spiral looked really more extended than ever before. I hope all her jumps are there for her in January at Nationals

  2. #282

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,028
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    No, you're not...Czisny's competitive history would indicate that she usually does best early in her season, and she also does better in odd-numbered years. In other words, time for the roller-coaster to head up again.
    Czisny also tends to do better when external expectations on her are lower. I agree that she could pleasantly surprise at nationals, though I doubt she'll really be in contention for the world team.

    ETA: re: Zhang's GFB - yep, that's Mandy Moore's "Only Hope", from the "A Walk to Remember" soundtrack.

  3. #283
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    685
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thank you for sharing Caroline's exhibition video, hope she comes back strong at Nats!

  4. #284
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,186
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Zhang is still laboring across the ice. Her falling leaves, while pretty, looked forced. The spiral was very nice but why was she so tired towards the end?

  5. #285
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The dress on Zhang is an improvement; Some color on her is a good thing. I wish she would skate to something upbeat though. These GFB and slow classical stuffs that she has been doing are one big fridge break.

  6. #286

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,353
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3933
    Her layover camel is I remember when she was really young she did that You Raise Me Up number with all those awesome spins, glad she still has some. Lately ,in competition , she has regressed to become a just average spinner.

  7. #287

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,659
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43422
    Ashley Wagner performed at the Dallas Galleria before Xmas - here's a local NBC news segment and interview with her: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Awa...184581641.html

    She also has been "named as the one of newest PANDORA [jewelry] style ambassadors" - press release link: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...184288501.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  8. #288
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,940
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Ashley Wagner performed at the Dallas Galleria before Xmas - here's a local NBC news segment and interview with her: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Awa...184581641.html

    She also has been "named as the one of newest PANDORA [jewelry] style ambassadors" - press release link: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...184288501.html
    Hmmm. The article doesn't specifically discuss her performance, just her appearance in the DFW area. I'm just doubly curious about any performance because of her slight injury at the GPF, and how it's currently effecting her.

  9. #289
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,712
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Her layover camel is I remember when she was really young she did that You Raise Me Up number with all those awesome spins, glad she still has some. Lately ,in competition , she has regressed to become a just average spinner.
    That's the problem with Caroline's skating it's just average. She doesn't do anything exceptionally well and add the fact that she skates so slow she really doesn't have a chance against the top skaters.

  10. #290
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,940
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    That's the problem with Caroline's skating it's just average. She doesn't do anything exceptionally well and add the fact that she skates so slow she really doesn't have a chance against the top skaters.
    I think when CZ was quite young, she could quickly rotate her tiny body and execute all these jumps and super bendy spins, bad technique and all and still rack up the points. She was doing quite well for herself here and there yet consistency was still a problem.

    However, once she started to grow, it went from hit or miss to almost always miss.

    I give her props for making a comeback this past year, taking the time to relearn jump technique on some (but not all) her jumps. Her flip, loop and axel are better to varying degrees. But there are still areas of her skating that need a lot of help - her flutz is not bad, it's terrible and while it looked like she was moving more quickly over the ice, she seems to be quite slow again in her last few competitions.

    I wish her well and hope she does very respectably at Nationals. She only makes things more interesting and there is a good story behind her comeback.

  11. #291
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It'd be nice if the US media could focus on some of the other up and coming skaters as well...I know that's asking too much but it'd be nice.
    I'm with you. There are many other US skaters worthy of more focus from the media than they are getting.

    However, the US media generally covers very little figure skating news, and doesn't have a great deal of knowledge about figure skating. Consequently, the media takes the lazy way out and will go with things that are simple and catchy, like her last name, for example. So overdone already, IMHO.
    Last edited by demetriosj; 12-27-2012 at 02:33 PM.

  12. #292
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    That's the problem with Caroline's skating it's just average. She doesn't do anything exceptionally well and add the fact that she skates so slow she really doesn't have a chance against the top skaters.
    Why so worried then?

  13. #293
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere, beyond the sea...
    Posts
    1,883
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Interestingly, Alissa may outperform expectations at Nationals. At '11 SA, she skated a beautiful SP to 'La Vie en Rose' scoring 64 pts., and managed to hold off Kostner to win the SA title with it being her first full competition of the season (like this Nationals would be). So, am I reaching for the stars here ?
    I say you're reaching a bit . Yes, she held off Carolina for the win but that was a "home field" advantage win. That was the one time I thought Carolina should have won and didn't. Alissa had a strong SP and a rather mediocre LP but (like so often) she was held up b/c she was the national champ skating at Skate America. The rest of her skating that year was iffy at best all the way through the GPF and nationals and then fell apart completely after that. Also you have to remember at SA she was coming off of a regular off-season break. She's been out all summer and all season long as well after undergoing hip surgery...no one knows how she'll perform.

    After last season's nuclear implosion at worlds and her absence on the GP this year, she's too much of a wildcard to send to worlds with Olympic spots on the line. If she'd competed on the GP this year and had good results and then had a strong performance at nationals, I say give her the spot. I didn't think she deserved the spot to worlds she got last year. She was shaky and nowhere near as consistent as she was the year before but b/c she was one of the best bets internationally, she got the spot...and the rest is a splat-filled history.

    Alissa is too much of a question mark. Even if she skates well I can't see them naming her to the team without some evidence to back it up. Send her to 4CC and reserve naming her to the team until after that competition, which I think they should make a regular part of the team selection anyway. First place finisher should earn an automatic ticket but the 2nd spot should be decided after 4CC based on the results. Several times we've sent 1st-3rd place finishers from nationals to 4CC and seen the 2nd or 3rd place skater from nationals score and place better at the competition. It just makes more sense to factor in the placements at 4CC b/c you're seeing how the skaters stack up against the top names at what is basically a mini-worlds competition.
    Last edited by kwanatic; 12-27-2012 at 02:51 PM.

  14. #294
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,940
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ I see your point. I'm definitely setting my expectations lower for Alissa. Just as for CZ, I want to see Alissa perform well and have a smile on her face even if she (and CZ) don't make the team.

  15. #295
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,922
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't want Czisny on the team, but I hope that, like Flatt this year, she can go out with a performance she is proud of.

  16. #296
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere, beyond the sea...
    Posts
    1,883
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^^Agreed. I really enjoy Alissa's skating. She's such a beautiful girl and I love her smooth flow across the ice. I'm assuming her aim is to be in the mix to make the Sochi team but at this point, her chances don't look good.

    It's going to be an interesting nationals, that's for sure...

  17. #297
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Alissa just peaked at the wrong time. Shame, because I love her skating (so graceful and fluid!). Either way, she has so much to be proud of, whether or not she makes it to Sochi.

    TBTH the only way she's getting to Sochi is if the US has 3 spots and she can get the 3rd as kind of a "fond farewell" present.

  18. #298
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere, beyond the sea...
    Posts
    1,883
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^^I still think there are a number of skaters who can (or will be able to) outskate her by next year. You've got Ashley, Mirai, Christina, Gracie, Agnes and also Angela, Hannah, Samantha, Leah and a number of other up-and-comers who may surprise next season. If there are no better options and Alissa earns that spot, I say give it to her. But IMO Alissa has been gifted way more than the current crop of US skaters combined.

    No more gifts. If Alissa wants to go to Sochi, she needs to earn her trip.

  19. #299
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,940
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    ^^I still think there are a number of skaters who can (or will be able to) outskate her by next year. You've got Ashley, Mirai, Christina, Gracie, Agnes and also Angela, Hannah, Samantha, Leah and a number of other up-and-comers who may surprise next season. If there are no better options and Alissa earns that spot, I say give it to her. But IMO Alissa has been gifted way more than the current crop of US skaters combined.

    No more gifts. If Alissa wants to go to Sochi, she needs to earn her trip.
    Alissa is limited in the sense that she isn't really capable of a 3-3 (not even sure about a 2x-3t), she lips, and she can't do a 3sal. All these are chronic issues that will probably never be corrected either because it would be too much effort, age, or because she lacks big spring in her jumps. Thus, she is forced to certain jump layouts where she can repeat the lutz, axel and loop, perhaps backload a bit but that is all, and at this point in her career where she is no longer the #1 US lady, she will have to be mostly clean and rely on others to screw up to make the team.

    She is up against a US lady w/ greater consistency, attack and a better probability of landing a 3-3 (Ashley), another one who is admittedly a headcase, but younger with greater spring and speed (Mirai), another one w/ mostly great technique, speed, and a 3-3 (Gracie) and yet another one w/ great technique, a true lutz, w/ a 3-3 (Agnes). With the exception of Ashley, it's reasonable to assume that a couple of them could screw up royally at Nationals and leave the door open for Alissa, but I don't think the chances are likely.

  20. #300
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,264
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Alissa is too much of a question mark. Even if she skates well I can't see them naming her to the team without some evidence to back it up. Send her to 4CC and reserve naming her to the team until after that competition
    Even if she skates well I doubt she will be placed in the top 2 or even top 3 so I doubt that is a problem the USFSA will need to worry about anyway.

Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •