Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    The way Gracie rushes all over the ice reminds me of a bit of Kostner about 6,7 years ago. When i first saw Kostner at the 2006 Olympics she was going so fast and out of control i thought she was going to crash into the boards. It took her years to pace herself and control her speed.
    So true. For years people went on and on about Kostner's speed and how great it is and how great her SS are. They are but you are absolutely correct, her speed was her downfall. TAT had also said years ago that she rushed like crazy and couldn't control her skating. Only after she learned to slow down, not only her jumps became more consistent but her artistry improved by leaps and bounds. Speed is great but it's not all there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    With Gracie though i think it's just being all hyped up and nervous.
    I agree with this too but Gracie also lacks in polish and presence. It will either come with experience and further training or it will not. A lot depends on her handlers. I hope they do the right thing.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    Well, then we have to start the old argument again. Should judges judge what they see on the ice, or what they saw the last 3 or 4 competitions?
    Isn't part of the world team selection process to take the current season into account ?

vCash
    ashley probably will finish 1st.
    as far a mirai finishing 2nd, they been pushing her since jr natl and she didn't do it. since, however they want her and overlook her screwups like ashley,

enought of that.

nationals.

i think it will be ashley

than can be depending on how well they skate and fight for it(in their eyes-not mine) in any order,
    gracies,agnes, alissa, mirai, possible hannah if she jumps up, christina, caroline zhang, angela wang, vanessa lam, and i am sure i am missing a couple of ladies,
    i wouldn't rule out, leah, courtney, and whoever wins their sectionals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    Isn't part of the world team selection process to take the current season into account ?
    Yes, but it's not clear (or specified) how much the competitions (such as the most recent GP Final and Worlds) are weighted.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    Yes, but they rarely deviate from their normal procedure- top 2 or 3 at Nationals.

vCash
    Ashley will win Nationals. Second will be either Mirai or Gracie. And 3rd will be either Agnes or Gao.

As for worlds, i dont think ashley will win. For sure she could make the podium, but with Yuna and Mao ( and if carolina pulls it together ) i dont think she will make it to the top. Also Ashley really needs a new choreographer

And im sure this has probably been said a million times, but i felt like i had to say it too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Ashley will win Nationals. Second will be either Mirai or Gracie. And 3rd will be either Agnes or Gao.

As for worlds, i dont think ashley will win. For sure she could make the podium, but with Yuna and Mao ( and if carolina pulls it together ) i dont think she will make it to the top. Also Ashley really needs a new choreographer

And im sure this has probably been said a million times, but i felt like i had to say it too
    No, she doesn't. Mills has been doing an extraordinary job with her and her PCS has done nothing but go up since she started working with him full-time. I think she has a chance to win worlds. It certainly got smaller when Yuna and Carolina came back this month, but she still has a shot. If she wants to be a real player and not rely on mistakes from others, she needs to work on her edges and get a 3/3 in the short and add a 3toe to something in her LP. She is definitely capable of making those changes, so let's just see how improves on the way to Sochi 2014.

vCash

I think it will all depend on how they all skate at Nationals. Aren't they judged on how they do at that particular competition?

And, IMO, Phillip Mills is the best thing that Ashley has going for her.

vCash
    Oh yes for sure she still has a chance. its just very slim atm. Yes a 3-3 and edge work would help her dramatically. But i just do not believe in her choreography. She just does the same boring stiff movements on nearly every beat of the music. There is nothing interesting or intriguing about her choreography, she just makes stiff movements for the whole program its ridiculous.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Are you really a skating coach? Your opinions seems completely out of touch with the judges and most people on this board that agree Ashley has had some great vehicles the last two seasons from Mills.

vCash
    ^ Maybe sk8ingcoach is a "rival's" skating coach. But sure, everyone's "entitled" to their own opinions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Are you really a skating coach? Your opinions seems completely out of touch with the judges and most people on this board that agree Ashley has had some great vehicles the last two seasons from Mills.
    I actually don't disagree with the poster's observation. She hits the beat yes, and the layback in particular is very thoughtful, but mostly her interpretation is just done with her arms. There's no changes in direction, or field moves, or whatnot to really accent the colourful music. Besides the loop entry there really isn't anything too complex about the S&D program. In particular, I would say she doesn't use her body enough. If she could work in a falling leaf like she did last year or more positions involving the whole body (squats, illusions etc) it could really amp up the program IMO.

Afterall, what Wagner has shown so far these 2 seasons has been magnificent, but to move to the world or Olympic medal ranks, she needs more work done still.

Title-less
    vCash
    I hope every skater aspiring to medal will work on their edges; that said, Leonova got a silver and Stojko was a world champion. So if you have enough jumps over your competitors, it can happen. But the skaters either need more jumps or better basics (preferably both).

vCash
    But i just do not believe in her choreography. \
    That's fine, and you are certainly entitled to that opinion. The judges, however, have their own and her PCS has been right up their with Mao's when she skates well.

I do agree with Marco that she needs to incorporate more complexity below the knees and that's where I'm looking for improvement from her.

vCash
    Fan videos of Czisny, Gold & Wagner are posted in the Skating & Gymnastics show thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3773320
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    New espnW article (part of their 12-part Headliners series "highlighting up-and-coming athletes who embody confidence, strength and talent in their respective sports"): Gracie Gold focuses on growing her skills

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    New espnW article (part of their 12-part Headliners series "highlighting up-and-coming athletes who embody confidence, strength and talent in their respective sports"): Gracie Gold focuses on growing her skills
    Sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders. That should server her well heading into Nationals ...

vCash
    Gracie does have a good head on her shoulders. I think it will help her to overcome when she struggles. She showed some toughness after her performance at SC. She learned from that experience.

vCash
    It'd be nice if the US media could focus on some of the other up and coming skaters as well...I know that's asking too much but it'd be nice.

vCash
    Scenario at Nationals -

What happens if Ashley is clean yet conservative, but Mirai and Gracie both hit it out of the ballpark? Who would make the team??

Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast