Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
    vCash
    This is why I wish there were a base multiplier for combos, to encourage people to try harder combos even more. If a combo was multiplied by .2, then a 3t+3t = 9.82 points and a 3lz + 3t = 12.12 instead of 8.1 and 10. A 1.9 difference turns into a 2.3 point difference, encouraging the lutz toe combo even more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    This music choice was in bad taste. More "hype" to go with "I'm Gold, I have the best last name ever," and the "angel who fell from heaven" comment from the commentator (Sandra?). My bf who doesn't even follow skating was appalled they would make a comment like that. Give me a break.
    Well... if your boyfriend was appalled then...well...really something must be done about this travesty. I mean think of the children!

Appalled? Really?

Sometimes I think we all need to unclutch our pearls just a wee bit and get some perspective.

vCash
    I know it would be completely impractical, but I think a solution to the scoring of combos would be to add a whole new section to the current scoring system: create scores for each combo possible. Instead of jump 1+jump 2[+jump 3], it would be a set value for the two (or three) jumps together.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I don't know why it would be impractical: it's a look-up table now for manual scoring, and it would be a bigger look-up table after combinations were added.

It might take a programming change to look for a match on a bigger table rather than evaluate individual parts and add them together, but it's also possible that the ISU computer program has a table with all of the combinations and total values and does a match now.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post

As to Gracie--that song is quite with the nasal phrasing--that was Alicia Keys? Not that Ashley's GFB was that much better.

Yes, it's Alicia Keys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J91ti_MpdHA
    I know the video proof doesn't help the song any. I like Alicia Keys even if she doesn't have the best singing voice of all the diva chanteuses out there. She looks good and definitely seems at a happy place in her life.

As to Gracie: "That girl was ON FIRE in her Nationals free skate."
    Maybe Gracie should skate to something by Destiny's Child. But, oops that might send some observers into heart attack mode ...

Ashley's been on fire last season and for most of this season, so I hope these two ladies "burn it up" in London, Ont. Forget about the noise from naysayers and do your thing, single Ladies!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m1EFMoRFvY
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-06-2013 at 08:16 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It's not so meaningful to compare scores across competitions.

Well, Gao managed a clean competition at Skate America and made GPF, not to mention barely missing a thing at the free skates at her GPs and GPF, so I would definitely have her ahead. It wasn't so much the fact that she had less competition at Skate America (or that some of her competitors bombed), but more the fact that she skated very well there that she won the silver.

Gold won 2 silvers coming into Nationals and landed a hard 3/3 at each of her competitions. I don't believe she received any < calls coming into Nationals. I do not get Zawadzki but she did manage an international win this season.

Nagasu's best outing resulted in a bronze at NHK, but even then she had two triples called UR there.
    Gao indeed had a fine skate at SA. However, this was negated by her subpar performance at GPF. Here, she finished not only last, but 19 points behind Tuk in 5th. The so called international win you cite for Agnes was attended by only Gold and Lacoste among top skaters. Agnes had a narrow win over Gold who was really the only elite skater there. It isn't much of an accomplishment to win over basically one opponent. Agnes faced some heavy competition at NHK. This was a head to head competition with Nagasu, who finsihed two placements and about 10 points ahead of Agnes. If you want to talk about performances paleing in comparison, then agnes's performace paled in comparison to Nagasu at NHK. Gold had a very good skate at TEB, beating some real competition. However, this is offset by her other competitions. At the senior B, which you call a silver medal, she finished a close second to Agnes in basically a two skater competition. At SC, she had two poor skates, barely breaking a 150 score and behind Osmond, Suzuki, Murakami, Tuk, Elene G., and Makarova. So both Agnes and Gold finished, rightfully, behind Nagasu in the Grand Prix standings. Gao finsihed one spot ahead, in part, due to her silver at SA, which had the weakest field of the six GP's. With Gao's poor GPF, Nagasu's early season was equal or better than the three skaters you cited.

vCash
    I can't wait until Gracie starts skating to something powerful and upbeat to go with those big huge jumps. She just needs more polish, not soft programs IMO. She should go for something big and something with fire. Actually, Gracie skating to "Firebird" might not be a bad idea..

vCash
    Gold skated her Novice FS to "Firebird" the year she won her first National medal (pewter) in 2010. I think it's good music for her.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    someone suggested piano concerto no. 1 (Tchaikovsky). I love that piece of music, the first part especially. I think the first part (sorry, not knowledgeable about musical terminology) could be cut into a stellar SP. There is a version of this recording where the strings dominate the piano in the beginning. I think that would be best.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    Well... if your boyfriend was appalled then...well...really something must be done about this travesty. I mean think of the children!

Appalled? Really?

Sometimes I think we all need to unclutch our pearls just a wee bit and get some perspective.
    He's a guy - doesn't wear pearls. Would you approve of another word than "appalled?" Did you even hear what the commentator said? It was ridiculous.

vCash
    He's a guy - doesn't wear pearls. Would you approve of another word than "appalled?" Did you even hear what the commentator said? It was ridiculous.
    What about he was gagging when he heard what the commentator said?!

vCash
    He's a guy - doesn't wear pearls. .
    Face meets palm.

vCash
    Since there's been mention of what was said by announcers and commentators during Gracie's gala exhibition skate. I went back to listen again. Below is pretty much verbatim. If you follow skating, I don't think anything said was too OTT except for the comments I've bolded in red. Otherwise, I think its fairly standard fare. Its the commentators' opinions. Michael B seems to really like Gracie. I will say that I think with some of his comments, Michael B is doing what many have been doing -- putting too much pressure on Gracie. I think it's probably best just to take a deep breath, enjoy watching all the ladies, and not get too ahead in our thinking. But since this is figure skating, I guess that's out of the question.

BTW, I also think the announcer, Rusty, while he must be a professional announcer, it doesn't seem like he knows a lot about figure skating. The announcing done by other skaters (e.g., Meryl & Charlie introducing Ross Miner) is more straightforward and genuine. Or as in the past, exhibition announcing done by Kurt Browning, and even Scott Hamilton was at least more knowledgeable, and the skaters don't seem as bored conversing with people who really know them and who know the sport.

Announcer Rusty: I’m standing at the boards with ladies silver medalist Gracie Gold.
    [The audience claps loudly…]

Michael Buckley: Crowd loves her. [I had to listen a few times because at first I heard it as, “God loves her,” but listening more closely, it sounds like Michael B simply said, “Crowd loves her,” and this might have been misheard by some listeners]

Rusty to Gracie: You’re very popular in Omaha. Well done.
    [Mentions her career accomplishments]

Rusty continues: This whole thing is pretty easy isn’t it? (tongue-in-cheek)
    Gracie: Definitely. (sarcastic)

Rusty: I should really start skating.
    I would love to stand on top of the podium.

Gracie: It’s a great feeling. (patiently)

Rusty: I stand no chance of ever doing that. (self-deprecating)

Michael B: Gracie is not impressed. That’s her McKayla Maroney face.
    Look at her face right now… Gracie Gold is not impressed.

Michael B quickly adds: But Rusty is doing a great job entertaining the crowd – shout out to Rusty.

Rusty to Gracie:
    What’s the biggest difference in competing as a junior and now as a senior?

Gracie: The biggest difference for me probably is the pressure and expectations of what people have for me. It was pretty challenging but I think I was able to overcome it.

Rusty: Ah, I’d say so. Gracie girl, the ice is yours.

Voice-over intro to audience by Mike Mancuso: Here we have Gracie Gold, the U.S. Ladies silver medalist. [She] put up the highest ever ladies free skate score yesterday night.

Commentary during Gracie’s skate:

Michael B: Yeah, I mean really. She brought the house down for lack of a better expression.
    [pause] This is the perfect song for her to be skating to right now. Absolutely perfect song.

[pause]
    Sarah: I’m really interested to watch her for the next few months because she’s really umm, I mean obviously she had a great skate here, but leading up to the Olympics it’s a very interesting timing… and she could really be [a player (?)] there.

Michael B: It’s so interesting the whole coverage of her in the last year has been... It’s so mixed. I feel like they beat her up one day, and then the next day she’s the golden child, and then if she makes a mistake, ‘Oh well we built her up too much.’ So it’s kinda strange to watch the coverage of her. Umm, I love her. Again I’ve been following her and I think she’s a great name and a great face, and [has] a great high skill level and personality that if she wins the Olympics, this is the type of girl who could entirely redeem the sport in the American public eye… so I mean I’m hoping good things for her and I think the U.S. sending veteran Ashley and newcomer Gracie to Worlds this year is great. And so, I have really high hopes for Gracie. I think the fact that she had a mistake here and came back so perfectly bodes well for the rest of her career … on such a public stage like this to come back so strong. Yeah.

Sarah: She’s been very consistent the past two years. .. I don’t think the coverage of her has been as black and white…Maybe the expectation of her has just been so great… because she’s done pretty well … and at COR she had a silver.

Michael B: And she’s a first year senior, she’s a first year senior. But maybe they’re all ready for her to win and she’s ready to win. That’s the thing. You can feel it. And the nice thing about all the girls is they all want to win. For some years you got a lot of girls who were [saying] ‘I’m happy to be here,’ and ‘I just want to do my best.’ The three top ladies this year want to win. And it’s clear in their persona and in their skating. So as a U.S. figure skating fan, it’s nice to see these three girls skating so aggressively and hungry to win a National title.

Sarah: And I think the girls are also a little older now. Because at 17, [Gracie’s] not considered older, she’s considered the young one.

Michael B: I agree.

Gracie finishes her exhibition skate… applause from the crowd.

Michael B: [There’s] a cheer. Yay.

Mike Mancuso voice-over to audience: Gracie Gold … another spectacular performance.

Michael B: Okay Sarah, how’s [Gracie] gonna do at Worlds? I’m putting you on the spot. Where do you think she’ll place? Top five? Top six?

Sarah: Based on her long program here she’ll have a great showing. I just hope she’ll do well in the short because that sets you up. Especially on the international stage, it really helps to have a good short program.

Michael B: My advice is before the short program, pretend it’s the long program… really mentally don’t think of it as the short program… And its hard for all of them so [Gracie] has to find a way to trick herself into just doing it.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-07-2013 at 06:30 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    someone suggested piano concerto no. 1 (Tchaikovsky). I love that piece of music, the first part especially. I think the first part (sorry, not knowledgeable about musical terminology) could be cut into a stellar SP. There is a version of this recording where the strings dominate the piano in the beginning. I think that would be best.
    I suggested it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    If you knew anything about Michael Buckley it is to never take anything he says seriously. Yes he's a figure skating fan but he goes over the top a lot of time no matter what the subject is about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If you knew anything about Michael Buckley it is to never take anything he says seriously. Yes he's a figure skating fan but he goes over the top a lot of time no matter what the subject is about.
    I know nothing about him. Who is Michael Buckley? What is his claim to fame?

vCash
    He's a youtube personality.

vCash
    He mostly comments on celebrity stuff and makes fun of them. He can be entertaining and funny at times. I loved when he talked about skaters looking petrified when they took the ice. He called it Kerrigan face.

vCash
    Great to see Agnes Zawadzki featured in this "Five athletes share their Olympic journey" article:
    http://espn.go.com/espnw/olympics/89...lympic-journey
    Excerpt:
    Zawadzki knows she'll have to make great strides to secure a spot in Sochi, but she's willing to put in the work. She says the key will be to improve her consistency and nail those big triples when it counts. Skating will continue to be top of mind as Sochi nears, but perfecting her short program isn't Zawadzki's only responsibility. She began studying at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs last fall, majoring in psychology and taking a special interest in forensics.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Great to see Agnes Zawadzki featured in this "Five athletes share their Olympic journey" article:
    http://espn.go.com/espnw/olympics/89...lympic-journey
    Another skater who seems to be doing an excellent job balancing skating and school.

Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast