Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    While it's not my favorite sequence from Jeremy, it's definitely better than Gracie's (this isn't a bad thing, Jeremy's musicality is better than most people's). I wonder what stops skaters from just taking another skater's choreo or footwork. What would the repercussions be? Obviously some fans and a few skaters would notice, but would it be that big of a deal? Copying is a form of flattery. Especially if she asked for permission from Jeremy, I bet she'd have his permission to use some of that footwork, being that they're in different competitions and he probably supports her trying to grow on the second mark.
    Didn't a skater (Brian Joubert maybe?) borrow a bit of Yagudin's footwork sequence for his "Winter" SP? I'm not sure if it was Joubert but I swear I did see a skater perform almost identical steps. I remember SOI incorporated that FWS from "Winter" into one of their group numbers. Here it is (@1:21):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jTbQWR63ZY#1m20s
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 02-03-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Skaters use ideas, music, and movements from other skaters all the time. In a way, that's how the sport evolved/ evolves. IOW, jumps and other moves (including spins) were created from skaters experimenting, developing and refining, and then others copying their moves till they became standard, required elements.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-04-2013 at 06:37 AM.

vCash
    Lori practically lifted Stephane Lambiel's Four Seasons and gave it to Patrick... The judges didn't seem to mind, although if I were Patrick, I'd have been pretty pissed that I paid $10 000 for that.

vCash
    I hope Christina Gao skates great at 4CCs. She was wonderful at Nationals and she should definitely have been on the podium. She always looks lovely, but her fs dress was a standout (chosen by Sarah & Drew as the best ladies costume at Nationals, just in front of Ashley Wagner's fs dress). I thought Ashley Cain's fs dress was also gorgeous.

And kudos to Samantha Cesario for skating two beautiful programs, and especially for making that Swan Lake performance her own (coming immediately after Gracie's fs performance too). It was great to see Samantha build upon the energy in the arena and not be intimidated by it. Loved Samantha's gorgeous inside edge/ outside edge spread eagles (a great highlight).

vCash
    whoops posted this in the wrong area - delete-
    Last edited by johndockley92; 02-05-2013 at 12:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    Lori practically lifted Stephane Lambiel's Four Seasons and gave it to Patrick... The judges didn't seem to mind, although if I were Patrick, I'd have been pretty pissed that I paid $10 000 for that.
    Bonaly seemed to incorporate some movements from Usova and Zhulin's Four Seasons although she was not as successful.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Gracie Gold - "Girl On Fire" by Alicia Keys

This music choice was in bad taste. More "hype" to go with "I'm Gold, I have the best last name ever," and the "angel who fell from heaven" comment from the commentator (Sandra?). My bf who doesn't even follow skating was appalled they would make a comment like that. Give me a break.

vCash
    ^^ Maybe she just likes that song.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of the coaches recommend that the skaters choose "inspirational" songs (gag) to motivate themselves. I wouldn't read it as a message to the world.

vCash
    I'd go with a) She likes the song, b) it is motivational, c) she only skates it if she medals, which is pretty decent for a senior debut, so the message of the song isn't exactly untrue.
    (Personally I just thought it was funny how insanely crystalled her exhibition dress was - it must have cost a fortune, where her competitive costumes were pretty, but kind of understated.)

It's like wearing a gold dress to the Olympics- it takes a bit of guts to do, but people read too much into it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I'd go with a) She likes the song, b) it is motivational, c) she only skates it if she medals, which is pretty decent for a senior debut, so the message of the song isn't exactly untrue.
    (Personally I just thought it was funny how insanely crystalled her exhibition dress was - it must have cost a fortune, where her competitive costumes were pretty, but kind of understated.)
    She also skated this exhibition program (in the same outfit) for her performance on the Today Show on January 11.

And if you look closer at each of the dresses she wore in competition at nationals this year, they've both got a TON of bling on them. Maybe just more understated since the color of the crystals matched the fabric. I did like her FS dress a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    She also skated this exhibition program (in the same outfit) for her performance on the Today Show on January 11.
    I'd say the music was appropriate for that occasion too.

I'll have to relook at the costumes, I just remember the chunky crystals, not all over.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Surya Bonaly did a triple toe-triple toe combo in the short program way back at the 98 Olympics. It was considered then an easier combo than a triple lutz-double toe. I'm not impressed at all with triple toe-triple toe combos. I think it is playing it safe. Hell, Kerrigan did one in 94. I'd rather see a clean triple lutz or triple flip double toe combo in the SP. They seriously need to reconsider the values of jumps in the Code Of Points.
    Last edited by tonyahardly; 02-05-2013 at 11:27 PM.

vCash
    Hmmm I think the values are good, but perhaps they need to treat the combinations differently so that a 3-3 is only worth ~.1 more than a 3z2l combo and ~.3 more than a 3z2t combo instead of .5 and .7 respectively. This would be because repeating a jump type in combination makes the combo a bit easier, also doing anything in combination with a loop, lutz or flip is harder than doing it in combination with a 2a, toe or salchow.

OTOH, being able to successfully do lutzes - period - and in combination is already rewarded. A skater who can repeat the lutz in the FP has a big advantage.

I think boosting the value any more might return us to the late 90s, where every skater had something they called a lutz, whether it actually was or not.

They could equalize things a bit by leaving the values as is but requiring that one of the jumps in the combo be an edge jump.

I'd like them make use of the SP that way, like requiring a flying spin or layback spin with an unchanged & basic position for 8 rotations or something. I think once you get into those difficult variations on the sit spin, for example, it's almost easier than the basic position. But I've never achieved those crazy positions or done an actual sit spin, so I don't know
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oy vey, ladies and gents. I saw the post-Nats gala and Ashley had an issue with the axel again. I am worried. Hope she irons it out in time.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    ^^ I thought Ashley's skate in the gala was quite lovely. I wasn't paying much attention to any faltering on jumps, especially not in the case of the men who had just hours earlier completed their intense competition. I'm not so worried about Ashley. If anything, she needs to make sure she stays mentally strong and keeps up with the routine and confident thinking that has served her so well this season and last. I'm glad Ashley is taking the time to get completely healthy and in tip-top shape for Worlds.

Also, ITA that Gracie skating to the Alicia Keys song was fine. I don't see anything wrong with her going out there and having fun skating to that song and being inspired by the lyrics. The important thing is balancing everything, being prepared for competition and being able to relax, have fun and enjoy the celebratory moments and her accomplishments. The media hype is gonna be there so it will be a challenge for Gracie to also keep that in perspective, and not allow it to over-define her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Oy vey, ladies and gents. I saw the post-Nats gala and Ashley had an issue with the axel again. I am worried. Hope she irons it out in time.
    I wouldn't worry about jumps in an exhibition...

What I WOULD worry about, though, is the fact that Wagner has fallen twice now in two consecutive freeskates.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyahardly View Post
    I'd rather see a clean triple lutz or triple flip double toe combo in the SP. They seriously need to reconsider the values of jumps in the Code Of Points.
    Agree. Unless a triple-triple has nice flow out of it, it's not pleasant to watch.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    I wouldn't worry about jumps in an exhibition...

What I WOULD worry about, though, is the fact that Wagner has fallen twice now in two consecutive freeskates.
    And in exhibition--I wouldn't worry if it weren't the same jump, the 2A. :nervousing: Hoping very much she fixes it soon. Sending awesome axel vibes to Ashley.

As to Gracie--that song is quite with the nasal phrasing--that was Alicia Keys? Not that Ashley's GFB was that much better.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 02-06-2013 at 03:13 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Well - I've quoted this many times, and I think it applies to both Wagner and Gold at this moment - "It's not how you START [the season], it's how you FINISH."

For Wagner, it's proving she's not on a downward slope (continuing a concerning trend with past US champions)...that is, try not to finish weak after a strong start.

For Gold, it's redemption from struggles in Canada and early at Nationals...that is, finish strong after a weak start.

Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast