Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    ^^ More than likely. I think we're all in agreement that Ashley is the favorite to win and that if she can replicate her performances from TEB (or even SA for that matter) she will win here without a fuss. In light of that, the smart thing to do is to keep everything as is.

A clean performance will score her through the roof at nationals w/o a 3-3. The judges/officials desperately want Ashley to win b/c she's the first skater in years who has the proper combination of drive, talent and consistency to reach the world podium. They want to send her to worlds as the 2-time US champ. That's a luxury for Ashley at this point b/c it means as long as she has two decent skates, she'll win. She doesn't need to push the envelope with 3-3s or even a 2-3 at this point.

I don't usually agree with pre-selecting medalist but in this situation if Ashley skates well, she will get the title regardless of what Gracie, Mirai or anyone else does. Her technical content may not be as impressive as Gracie's (potential) technical content but she's got her beat pretty much everywhere else...

As Wagner has said in her interviews, she will skate "smart"...so I am not really expecting a 3-3 from her. Maybe a 2A-3T in the LP, but I will be very surprised if she goes for the 3-3. The capacity to put a "new element" in at US Natls, when it hasn't been executed successfully early in the season in competition creates alot of anxiety for the skater. Will just have to wait and see....

On the other hand, not sure what she is waiting for. If she is serious about being a "contender" in Sochi, esp now that Yuna appears to be back in top form, Wagner will have to up the ante and do a 3-3. I suppose Mr Nicks will hold off this year, and from the onset of next season, is probably when I would expect the 3-3 to show up. (And, perhaps try and get the flutz fixed)
    Last edited by B.Cooper; 01-12-2013 at 12:04 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Angela Wang is not debuting this year at senior nationals. She competed last year as a senior and did quite well despite mistakes in her short.
    I forgot; she placed 8th last year. But the other ladies are debuting...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    As Wagner has said in her interviews, she will skate "smart"...so I am not really expecting a 3-3 from her. Maybe a 2A-3T in the LP, but I will be very surprised if she goes for the 3-3. The capacity to put a "new element" in at US Natls, when it hasn't been executed successfully early in the season in competition creates alot of anxiety for the skater. Will just have to wait and see....
    Smart for Ashley is keeping everything as is. At SA and TEB with the layout she has she score 127+ points. Keep in mind those are scores from international judges. So if she keeps the same content, delivers a comparable performance to her GP performances, at nationals, in front of a panel of judges who are salivating to give her that gold medal and send her to worlds, she'll probably score somewhere around 130-135.

She doesn't need to risk adding the content. The rest of her skating is head and shoulders above everyone else in the competition. For this competition especially, she needs to play to her strengths which is skating the content she has to her best ability and performing the hell outta her programs. If she does that, she'll be untouchable...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    What criteria determines who gets a conference?
    I don't believe there are any set criteria. Some skaters may decline to be interviewed via teleconference call but agree to one-on-one calls with individual journalists. Media interest often is taken into account as well.

Gold, Miller, Hicks, Ashley Cain, and Amanda Hofmann are the 5 ladies making their senior debut at Nationals this year.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Media interest often is taken into account as well.

Gold, Miller, Hicks, Ashley Cain, and Amanda Hofmann are the 5 ladies making their senior debut at Nationals this year.
    ....and media interest is oftentimes generated when you can afford to pay an agent(s) to promote your case to media outlets. Not all skaters have that advantage, unfortunately.

vCash
    Gold on the Today Show http://youtu.be/mQymf43FRJI

vCash
    Alissa Czisny has returned to competition:
    http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sport...01&status=true

Fan video and comments are posted in GSD starting here:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3790836
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vada5553 View Post
    Gold on the Today Show http://youtu.be/mQymf43FRJI
    Gracie looks great! Idk if it's the hairstyle and/or costume, but she looks a lot more mature physically and presentation-wise compared to last season. Her presentation has definitely improved, I still wish her arm movements were a bit softer, but everything else looks great. I expect she'll skate very well at Nationals, she's definitely done a lot of hard work improving in the areas she needed to work on this season.

vCash
    If Gracie never makes it big in skating i don't think it will be for lack of working hard. She seems driven and is very mature for a 17 year old.

vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If Gracie never makes it big in skating i don't think it will be for lack of working hard. She seems driven and is very mature for a 17 year old.
    I think anyone who can compete at this level is driven and mature. All competitors are training their butts off and have the desire to win, naturally.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Smart for Ashley is keeping everything as is. At SA and TEB with the layout she has she score 127+ points. Keep in mind those are scores from international judges. So if she keeps the same content, delivers a comparable performance to her GP performances, at nationals, in front of a panel of judges who are salivating to give her that gold medal and send her to worlds, she'll probably score somewhere around 130-135.

She doesn't need to risk adding the content. The rest of her skating is head and shoulders above everyone else in the competition. For this competition especially, she needs to play to her strengths which is skating the content she has to her best ability and performing the hell outta her programs. If she does that, she'll be untouchable...
    Maybe Ashley will keep her programs as is for Nats, and then if she goes to 4CCs, try more difficult jump combos there, pre-Worlds. We'll soon find out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Maybe Ashley will keep her programs as is for Nats, and then if she goes to 4CCs, try more difficult jump combos there, pre-Worlds. We'll soon find out.
    Who from JPN and KOR will be at 4CC's? Will that figure into Ashley taking risks? I wonder what type of strategy Ashley will pursue at 4CC's ... or if she'll even make the trip all the way to JPN

vCash
    Gold needs to improve her artistic ability and get more consistent on her jumps. All the talent is there. I dont think she will shine until post Sochi though, pretty much all the young skaters, including the young Russians, will be made to wait until most of the veterans retire.

vCash
    From the USFS Facebook page:

Alissa Czisny was injured Saturday afternoon while performing her free skate at the 2013 Fox Cities Invitational in Appleton, Wis. More information will be released following a full evaluation.
    One poster in the Alissa thread in GSD suspects she dislocated her hip.

vCash
    So sorry to hear about Alissa. *tears*

And the hip dislocation sounds horrific!

Honestly wishing her all the best; there's still next year, and she still has a chance to make the Team. In fact if we get 3 spots for next year my wish would be for Alissa to get that much coveted 3rd spot, just because her dream is to go to the Olympics, and she's been through so much, this will literally be her last shot.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ALISSA!!!!!

Title-less
    vCash
    Given the injuries among US ladies, I'm hoping skaters like Wagner and Cesario will listen to their bodies and try their best to stay healthy and fit.

vCash
    ^ If any, it's Cesario. Has Ashley even ever pulled out of comp for an injury?

vCash
    Update on Alissa Czisny via her coach, Jason Dungjen - new article posted in this GSD thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...hird-U-S-title

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Has Ashley even ever pulled out of comp for an injury?
    Not that I know of (she withdrew from 2010 Junior Worlds ahead of time, but that was likely due to emotional exhaustion after not making the 2010 Olympic team).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-15-2013 at 05:50 PM.

vCash
    I think Ashley withdrew from Junior Worlds in 2010 because she had nothing to gain by going. She had already gone twice before and by 2010 going to a Junior competition was a step down especially after almost making the Olympic team.

vCash
    I'm really bummed about Alissa missing Nationals. I wish for her a full recovery from her hip dislocate.

Mirai apparently has the flu (or 'might' have it) per her twitter account.

https://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu
    Mirai Nagasu ‏@mirai_nagasu
    I might have the flu and I might have just locked myself out of the car but I'm still rocking it. ��#nofilter http://instagr.am/p/UhWEXwi5V-/

I hope she's okay for Nationals-it's so close now!

Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast