Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Actually after coming 4th at Nationals the Japense federation are probably going to give Suzuki even less support now, so come to think of it even a clean Suzuki probably wont beat a pretty good Ashley. Losing Nationals past was not a big deal for a U.S lady since they had many that were considered amongst the best. However for Wagner to lose Nationals somehow and go to the Worlds as the #2 American would be a death knall for her, for this year anyway IMO, as none of the other U.S ladies is remotedly considered a contender at the World level right now besides her. She absolutely has to win Nationals to be taken seriously come Worlds.
    Total hyperbole, I don't agree with that statement at all.

*History* has proven that anything is possible, and the international judges will pick whomever they want, despite whom the national judges consider #1. Case in point, Sarah Hughes, she was only #3, but ended up winning the Olympics. Same thing goes for Evan Lysacek. Mirai over Rachael, and on and on and on ad infinitum.

It's anybody's game, on any given day, I sincerely believe that.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

ps: for all we know Agnes can end up kicking a** and taking names, not to mention Caroline Zhang with that 3R/3R combo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Total hyperbole, I don't agree with that statement at all.

*History* has proven that anything is possible, and the international judges will pick whomever they want, despite whom the national judges consider #1. Case in point, Sarah Hughes, she was only #3, but ended up winning the Olympics. Same thing goes for Evan Lysacek. Mirai over Rachael, and on and on and on ad infinitum.

It's anybody's game, on any given day, I sincerely believe that.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

ps: for all we know Agnes can end up kicking a** and taking names, not to mention Caroline Zhang with that 3R/3R combo.
    Mirai did not medal at the Games, and the only reason she wasnt atleast closer to Rochette (a whopping 13 points back, when some felt she even deserved the bronze) is that the U.S foolishly hedged their bets on Flatt when many felt Nagasu should have won Nationals. So she is hardly a good example. In fact she is only an indirect example of my point, the U.S could have easily given Nagasu the U.S title in 2010, they seemed to actually think Flatt was their big hopeful for Vancouver though, but they were wrong and payed the price.

As for Hughes, I already noted in the days of the U.S strength when they had many recognized elite contenders, it was fine for someone not to win Nationals and win the big event. Losing Nationals to Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipinski, Kristi Yamaguchi, Debi Thomas, or even Sasha Cohen, Nancy Kerrigan, Jill Trenary, Tonya Harding, did not mean you were out of the game. Those days are long gone. International judges do not view Nagasu, Gold, Gao, or anyone else as amongst the elite now, that is plainly evident by their scoring on the grand prix series even for their better efforts. So if Wagner loses at Nationals to one of them, that is pretty much it for her medal chances at Worlds this year. Lysacek losing Nationals to Abbott wasnt even a big deal since Abbott was the GP final Champion in 2009 and considered a gold medal contender for both the 2009 Worlds and 2010 Olympics.

vCash
    BS, b.s., bs

And that's all I have to say about that.

vCash
    True, I don't buy it for a second either.

vCash
    The world level judges dgaf about who places where at Nationals. Some people on this site seem to think there are a lot more politics involved in skating than there really is... If the judges prop someone up it's because they like that skater, not because someone is X country's #1 girl that year at nats.

Mao didn't get a healthy boost last year at worlds after winning nationals....oh wait she had a meh season and then a meh worlds. That would be why she scored how she did. Then Akiko skated just fine and walked all over Mao at worlds last year, even though she was JPN #2. Just a random example.

ps. Mirai didn't lose the bronze medal at the Olympics because she lost nationals....she placed in the position that she earned when she skated well enough for 4th; a respectable finish. Joannie was better and earned her position.

vCash
    ^^ IA and Mirai skating so damn early in the SP and not doing a 3-3 did not help her case either. Her SP was why she was not closer to Rochette, their FS scores were close as they deserved to be, Mirai easily could have been 5 or more points higher in the SP just by skating in a later warmup than she did, we saw that at Worlds when her score jumped from 62 to 70 (granted she did try the 3-3 at Worlds, but not the Olympics, but she didn't get credit for it anyways so it's a bit of a moot point). Rachael beat Mirai in the SP at the Olympics remember, and I'm sure that was mostly due to start order. Anyways that was old Mirai, I don't think the international judges like her as much anymore, but I think they could if she pulls an Ashley and has a comeback, but hard to say when/if that will happen.

I, for one, will be surprised if Ashley and Gracie aren't one and two at Nationals in whatever order. I'm going to be bold and say that I think Christina will be on the podium too. Mirai, Agnes, and maybe some of the younger girls can fight over the last podium spot and whoever skates best should get it. I think USFS likes and supports Gracie and Christina more than Mirai and Agnes at this point...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    The world level judges dgaf about who places where at Nationals. Some people on this site seem to think there are a lot more politics involved in skating than there really is... If the judges prop someone up it's because they like that skater, not because someone is X country's #1 girl that year at nats.

Mao didn't get a healthy boost last year at worlds after winning nationals....oh wait she had a meh season and then a meh worlds. That would be why she scored how she did. Then Akiko skated just fine and walked all over Mao at worlds last year, even though she was JPN #2. Just a random example.

ps. Mirai didn't lose the bronze medal at the Olympics because she lost nationals....she placed in the position that she earned when she skated well enough for 4th; a respectable finish. Joannie was better and earned her position.
    You are trying to sever certain posters' tenuous grip on unreality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    You are trying to sever certain posters' tenuous grip on unreality.
    Most likely! ITA with cdb1235. All the talk about how Mirai should have won Nationals and should have won bronze at the Olympics is, IMHO, crazy. She had a number of clear under rotations at Nationals and was no where near Joannie at the Olympics. Nuff said.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    I don't think Ashley going into 2013 Worlds as US #1 matters either.

Another example: Shizuka Arakawa was Japan #3 in 2005-2006 and won Olympic gold. Just like Sarah Hughes in 2002.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I, for one, will be surprised if Ashley and Gracie aren't one and two at Nationals in whatever order. I'm going to be bold and say that I think Christina will be on the podium too. Mirai, Agnes, and maybe some of the younger girls can fight over the last podium spot and whoever skates best should get it. I think USFS likes and supports Gracie and Christina more than Mirai and Agnes at this point...
    I think that second spot is between Gracie and Mirai, but Christina definitely has the possibility to upset.

Given their results (Gracie 7th and 2nd; Mirai 4th and 3rd) and overall scores on the GP this season (Mirai bested Gracie by about a point), I'd say on paper they're on equal footing. Gracie has the tougher jumps but Mirai has the polish and experience. As for Christina, she seems to be trending downward lately. If she delivers the way she did at SA, I think she'll be tough for the other girls to beat...especially if she puts the 3F-3T into her LP...

I'm thinking whoever has the stronger skate of the night gets that 2nd spot.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    New interview with Alissa Czisny: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Great interview!!!

Same SP as last year. "La Vie en rose".

LP music is being kept secret until Nationals and it's choreographed by Marina Zoueva.

vCash
    Im glad she is keeping La Vie en Rose, its a good program for her, quietly charming.
    I hope she does well.

vCash
    Great interview, I just read it over on IN.

And I concur, "La Vie En Rose" is spectacular. All her own. In fact I would call it her signature piece.

I honestly wish her well. WTG, Alissa!

vCash
    Hmm... If the LP music is being kept secret.... It must have been used by some famous skater (probably the Kween). Just some speculation.

vCash
    Sounds like Czisny is on the mend - but expectations for her should be kept reasonable. If she gives an effort that she is proud of, while missing the world team (like Flatt last year), that's fine by me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Sounds like Czisny is on the mend - but expectations for her should be kept reasonable. If she gives an effort that she is proud of, while missing the world team (like Flatt last year), that's fine by me.
    Exactly. Given her state, a top ten at Nationals would be respectable and a top five would be extraordinary.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Best of luck, Alyssa!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    And it's easy to criticize athletes; after all, we are the ones who put ourselves out in the spotlight, in front of so many people. Yet, what sports fans don't always tangibly understand is the sacrifice and dedication, the hard work and heartbreaks, the long hours and hurting bodies, the courage and fortitude that it takes for athletes to give everything they have for those few minutes of competition.

Some athletes might long for the glory of praising comments, might ache to hear the criticizing judgments, yet at the end of the day, all of us athletes can only answer to ourselves -- and God -- whether or not we have done our very best and have no regrets. We can't control how others critique us, but we can be in charge of our own efforts and our own behaviors.
    -- Alissa Czisny

vCash
    [QUOTE=judgejudy27;3784348]Mirai did not medal at the Games, and the only reason she wasnt atleast closer to Rochette (a whopping 13 points back, when some felt she even deserved the bronze) is that the U.S foolishly hedged their bets on Flatt when many felt Nagasu should have won Nationals. So she is hardly a good example. In fact she is only an indirect example of my point, the U.S could have easily given Nagasu the U.S title in 2010, they seemed to actually think Flatt was their big hopeful for Vancouver though, but they were wrong and payed the price.

As for Hughes, I already noted in the days of the U.S strength when they had many recognized elite contenders, it was fine for someone not to win Nationals and win the big event. Losing Nationals to Michelle Kwan, Tara Lipinski, Kristi Yamaguchi, Debi Thomas, or even Sasha Cohen, Nancy Kerrigan, Jill Trenary, Tonya Harding, did not mean you were out of the game. Those days are long gone. International judges do not view Nagasu, Gold, Gao, or anyone else as amongst the elite now, that is plainly evident by their scoring on the grand prix series even for their better efforts. So if Wagner loses at Nationals to one of them, that is pretty much it for her medal chances at Worlds this year. Lysacek losing Nationals to Abbott wasnt even a big deal since Abbott was the GP final Champion in 2009 and considered a gold medal contender for both the 2009 Worlds and 2010 Olympics.[/QUOTE
    Last edited by Jammers; 01-04-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast