Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

vCash
    If Alissa competes nationally or internationally this season, does she hurt her chances for getting GPs in the '13-'14 season?

I'm thinking that competing this season might jeopardize her chances to be a "returning skater" next season. Maybe that's not an issue...not sure I understand the rule.

If she competes this season, won't her GP entries for next year be determined by her '12-'13 season high score?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash

vCash
    Thanks for posting this video story on Nagasu! This was filmed before she left for Cup of China. Love the skating footage of a young Mirai! Includes insightful comments by her coaches, Wendy Olson and Amy Evidente. Her friend, ice dancer Roxette Howe, is interviewed as well. It also shows her training at Pickwick, getting/breaking in new skates, and her off-ice training regimen.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-28-2012 at 07:29 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I just pray that we don't have a meltdown from all the top girls and Alissa finishes in the top 2. Not a nice thing to say but i don 't any faith in Alissa at this point.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Well that was a nice little piece on Mirai. Sounds like her coaches echo all the armchair coach here too. lol

vCash
    Nice! I wish there were more segments like these. It's really fascinating to see what these skaters go through on a daily basis...

Thanks icellist!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Alissa is limited in the sense that she isn't really capable of a 3-3 (not even sure about a 2x-3t), she lips, and she can't do a 3sal. All these are chronic issues that will probably never be corrected either because it would be too much effort, age, or because she lacks big spring in her jumps. Thus, she is forced to certain jump layouts where she can repeat the lutz, axel and loop, perhaps backload a bit but that is all, and at this point in her career where she is no longer the #1 US lady, she will have to be mostly clean and rely on others to screw up to make the team.

She is up against a US lady w/ greater consistency, attack and a better probability of landing a 3-3 (Ashley), another one who is admittedly a headcase, but younger with greater spring and speed (Mirai), another one w/ mostly great technique, speed, and a 3-3 (Gracie) and yet another one w/ great technique, a true lutz, w/ a 3-3 (Agnes). With the exception of Ashley, it's reasonable to assume that a couple of them could screw up royally at Nationals and leave the door open for Alissa, but I don't think the chances are likely.
    Don't forget Gao! She has good technique, speed, all the triples, and is capable of two 3-3s. She's also shown a lot more consistency, elegance, and grace this season. So that's 5 girls that are very strong competition for Alissa right there, and that's not counting others like Wang, Miller, Zhang, Keiser, Cain, etc. plus strong juniors that could be in the mix next season like Edmunds and Long.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I'm starting to hope Alissa pisses on everyone's corn flakes and wins US Nationals!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Don't forget Gao! She has good technique, speed, all the triples, and is capable of two 3-3s. She's also shown a lot more consistency, elegance, and grace this season. So that's 5 girls that are very strong competition for Alissa right there, and that's not counting others like Wang, Miller, Zhang, Keiser, Cain, etc. plus strong juniors that could be in the mix next season like Edmunds and Long.
    I do think if Alissa can remain on her feet in the SP, she should be in the final group of 6 and a podium threat. However, I think her greatest danger will be the LP, not only due to her history of not holding it together, but her lack of competing this year will probably effect her fortitude in competition.

But, I think of the juniors you mention, Wang and Miller are the only ones that could pass Alissa if she has an error or 2. Zhang is looking pretty bad thus far. But all bets are off if Alissa really falls apart which is within the realm of possibility

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I hope that Gao really comes through at USN, now that finals are over and she can devote the next month to training. I've been so impressed with her this season. In a way, Alissa has been spoiled. Considering her lack of ice coverage, her overall unsureness and tentativeness, and poor jumps (whether landed or not), she really developed a reputation so that if she's clean she'll get huge marks, which I think are unjustified. Don't get me wrong, she's a lovely skater with the best spins, but she doesn't skate like a champion IMO. She gets huge marks at USN, and I hope the judges finally wake up. We've been hearing for almost eight years how she's changed her technique, yet except for the every Haley's Comet clean skate, she's falling 3 to 5 times per program. Please let's not get her even near the podium, maybe 6th so she can be on the national team. But for the love of all things holy and unholy, please let's not put her on the World team this year even if everyone else bombs.

vCash
    Thanks for posting the video about Mirai. She seems to be in a good coaching situation and is working hard. I'm rooting for her!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    Considering her lack of ice coverage
    I don't know what you're talking about. Alissa has great ice coverage, something I noticed the last couple of times I saw her live. Yes, she's tentative, and yes, she has trouble with her jumps, but she has great ice coverage.

vCash
    Like I said before, if the other skaters (mainly Wagner, Nagasu, Zawadzki, Gao) skate like they should we shouldn't have to "worry" about Czisny being good enough for the world team.

Odds are we'll probably get 2 out of 4 to hit, which would still be enough to make it difficult for Czisny if she is not on her A-game. The real ??? that has to be answered is Czisny's condition. Is she ready to compete? And even if she is, can she hold it together here- especially considering that it's her first competition? And I'm not talking so much about the SP (don't be surprised to see her in the final group for the FS, or even top 2 or 3), but the longer FS.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about. Alissa has great ice coverage, something I noticed the last couple of times I saw her live. Yes, she's tentative, and yes, she has trouble with her jumps, but she has great ice coverage.
    I'll admit I haven't seen her skate since maybe 2009/2010, but she was severely lacking in speed, sureness and ice coverage. It was easy to overlook because she is gorgeous, cuts a pretty princess picture on the ice, and has those great spins. But ice coverage is not her strong point. I was never a fan of Flatt, but even she skated with more speed and sureness, which should say something. Eeek. Compared to say a Wagner or Nagasu, Alissa is just not even close. If I had my druthers, the World team would be Wagner/Nagasu, though I've never seen Gracie Gold skate live. Who knows if Gracie's a powerhouse that comes across in an arena. But Wagner and Nagasu do. They skate like champions (usually... poor Mirai, so much talent, so much disappointment...). I stand by my statement that Czisny has less than exemplary ice coverage, she's slow, tentative, and stalks EVERYTHING. YMMV.

Title-less
    vCash
    I'm no big Alissa fan, but her 2011 us nationals long program is a total winner in my book. No tentativeness there at all. If she skates like that, let her win, and I say this as a non-fan.
    But the issue is really that she hasn't competed at all this year, and nationals being her first comp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I'm no big Alissa fan, but her 2011 us nationals long program is a total winner in my book. No tentativeness there at all. If she skates like that, let her win, and I say this as a non-fan.
    But the issue is really that she hasn't competed at all this year, and nationals being her first comp.
    This. When she skates like that, I'm all about Alissa.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    But, I think of the juniors you mention, Wang and Miller are the only ones that could pass Alissa if she has an error or 2.
    Wang is not a junior. She skated senior last nationals.

vCash
    I saw the Mirai video when she posted it on her FB page. Very interesting indeed imo. Her triple lutz at the start looked good I thought-and she seems to have a good mind-set going into Nationals. I like her coaches and I hope they get her back where she belongs-at Worlds fighting for medals and on to the Olympics!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Probably one of the best performances of her career. The ONE time she actually delivered when it was all on the line...

Still though, if Czisny plans on Sochi, she's best off pacing herself so that the roller-coaster heads up and reaches its peak next year, not this season. Then again, maybe she's already hit her highest peak.

I don't really know whether it is a good idea to count her out next month. It is very unlikely (world team), but we've seen her do unexpected things before...

vCash
    I would be very, very surprised if Alissa makes the podium. Her jumps weren't even "there" before her injury.

Still, I could see a 4 triple Alissa beating a 4 triple Caroline Zhang.

I hope Caroline shows up to Nationals well-trained like she was last year. Her SP was a delight. Her FS this season is a total snoozefest and I doubt she'll go back to her cello program for a third season.

I don't know but I have a feeling Agnes might end up higher than people think.

Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast