Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    If Christina skates well in Sochi, she could put herself in line for that 2nd spot.

Remember, Miraifans, last season, Ashley was 3rd and 4th in her GPs.

vCash
    ^^ITA. This gives her a huge advantage over both Gracie and Mirai. This is a chance to compete against the top skaters of the season...I don't know how good her chances of medaling are but two good performances could give her an edge over Gracie and Mirai.

vCash
    I agree that it could help her international rep, but perhaps all this talk about "advantage" at Nationals is overrated/overstated. In the fall of 2009, Wagner qualified for the GPF and Nagasu had a meh GP season. But at Nationals, as we all know it was Nagasu who stepped up (Wagner wasn't bad, but that one fall in the SP cost her BIG)...and in the end, that was enough to get the ticket.

Bottom line is this: Gao will still have to deliver at nationals and I don't think there is much room for error on her part. She does not want to dig herself a hole in the SP...

vCash
    Christina Gao has to come 5th again at US Nationals! Its Tradition!

Lets make 4 years in a row coming 5th!

vCash
    Christina's top score in the SP was around 57 pts. at SA w/ a 3-3 and clean. Mirai got 61 pts. w/ a wonky landing at NHK. Gracie got 62 pts. clean at CoR ,and Agnes got 60 pts. missing some levels on her spins at the same competition. I wouldn't be surprised if Christina found herself a little behind after the SP at Nationals. But, she does have the possibility to do well at the GPF and thus raise her credibility in the eyes of the USFSA by Nationals, which might result in bigger PCS scores there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Christina's top score in the SP was around 57 pts. at SA w/ a 3-3 and clean. Mirai got 61 pts. w/ a wonky landing at NHK. Gracie got 62 pts. clean at CoR ,and Agnes got 60 pts. missing some levels on her spins at the same competition. I wouldn't be surprised if Christina found herself a little behind after the SP at Nationals. But, she does have the possibility to do well at the GPF and thus raise her credibility in the eyes of the USFSA by Nationals, which might result in bigger PCS scores there.
    I know the COP system is supposed to be more fair, but I still think it's relative to the competition. There's no way Vanessa Lam can hold up to these more experienced skaters, even though her regional (sectional?) score was so high.

vCash
    I'm so excited for Christina, her hard work is paying off I hope she skates well and builds up some visibility with the international judges.

Whomp'em Gangnum Style, Xtina!

vCash
    If Christina upgraded her combo to a 3f-3t, which we know she's capable of and has done in the past, that would probably bump her up to around 60 points. And if she did 3f-3t in her FS, she'd be looking at around 120 for a clean skate, and maybe higher as including a 3-3 and doing a 7 triple program could help boost her PCS just because if she pulled it off, it would be really impressive and ambitious. So that means her scoring potential is around 180-185. Also I think her SP score at SA would have been higher had she not skated 2nd and been coming off a meh 2011-2012 season. I'm sure if she skates like that at the GPF, her score will be higher by at least a couple points, might even top 60. She's scored 58+ for her SP at a JGP event two seasons ago before she improved so much, so I definitely think 60 is possible for her, even without doing the 3f-3t.

I'm surprised by how many people think Mirai is a frontrunner for the 2nd spot, at this point I'd say she's behind Gracie and Christina to be honest, yes her performances on the GP this season LOOKED good, but she's still having issues with the URs, and neither her 3t-3t or 2a-3t are rock solid combos for her, at least not yet. I'm thinking Mirai will probably place 3rd or 4th at Nationals and go to 4CC most likely. I still really like her skating, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem as impressive to me as it was around the time of the last Olympics. Maybe if she was going for harder content, or rotating all her jumps consistently, my opinion would change, so if come Nationals she does just that, and I may be dazzled by her merits once again. But who knows.

In any event, I think it might be hard for Agnes to make the podium at Nationals this time.

vCash
    Mirai with URs is still scoring higher than a totally clean Christina. So yeah, I'd say she has a pretty decent shot at one of the two World team spots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Mirai with URs is still scoring higher than a totally clean Christina. So yeah, I'd say she has a pretty decent shot at one of the two World team spots.
    She isn't though. Her score at CoC was lower than Christina's at SA and about the same as Christina at TEB, where keep in mind, Christina DID have a pretty major error in her SP. Then her score at NHK was like 2 points higher than Christina at SA, and I really do think start order and reputation hurt Christina in the SP and if she repeats those skates at the GPF her score will likely be around 5 points higher. Christina's FS score at SA is still higher than either of Mirai's FS scores thus far, too. And Gracie made loads of mistakes in her COR FS and scored similarly to those two for clean-to-the-eye skates. So really, if Gracie can just avoid having a mini-meltdown in her FS, she's likely to be a strong 2nd at Nationals. Plus Christina might get more PCS inflation at Nats this year after making the GPF, and especially if she skates well there. Mirai's stock is down a bit among USFS I tend to think, where she was 7th at Nationals last year, not a very inspiring 3rd the year before, and has never made the GPF in all of her 5 seasons she's competed on it. Gracie and Christina are younger and have improved a lot recently, and they both seem hungry for success and a spot on the Olympic team, Mirai, she's already been to the Olympics and while it's nice to see her skating pretty well now, she's been regressing since the Olympics overall, her performances inconsistent, and even this season now she's bouncing back, her scores and skating still seem to have taken a step back since 2010. There's still time for her, and she's very talented, so if she can go and pull and Ashley then my hat's off to her. I just don't see that happening THIS SEASON.

vCash
    Everyone's got something to fix to become the frontrunner for silver:

-Mirai needs to avoid putting too much pressure on herself (a la 2011 Nationals)
    -Christina needs to be 100% clean. 100%
    -Gracie needs to put two decent programs out and (at the very least) acknowledge that there's music playing while she's skating
    -Agnes needs to do her usual clean SP...AND maintain her composure during the FS

they're all capable of all these things. It's just a matter of who does. If they're all clean and it's close, so much the better.

vCash
    Pinky, there's always a lot of "ifs" and "mights" in your scenarios. I'll wait to see what happens at Nationals. I'm not counting Christina or Gracie out, but I think you're severely discrediting Mirai's chances. She is a totally different skater than what we've seen the past two seasons, and that's already been reflected in her scores and consistency this season.

vCash
    I agree. Nagasu is just as much in the mix as Wagner, Gold and Gao are. It will come down to who delivers when it counts. Besides, Nagasu typically shows her best as the underdog.

I still have Nagasu in front of Gao at this point but that may change depending on results of GPF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by edonice View Post
    I know the COP system is supposed to be more fair, but I still think it's relative to the competition. There's no way Vanessa Lam can hold up to these more experienced skaters, even though her regional (sectional?) score was so high.
    I was comparing scores at different GP events (which is never 100% accurate, but personally it gives me a baseline to go off of). I would never compare sectional scores to scores at an important, international events. So, Vanessa's score is not to be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    If Christina upgraded her combo to a 3f-3t, which we know she's capable of and has done in the past, that would probably bump her up to around 60 points. And if she did 3f-3t in her FS, she'd be looking at around 120 for a clean skate, and maybe higher as including a 3-3 and doing a 7 triple program could help boost her PCS just because if she pulled it off, it would be really impressive and ambitious. So that means her scoring potential is around 180-185. Also I think her SP score at SA would have been higher had she not skated 2nd and been coming off a meh 2011-2012 season. I'm sure if she skates like that at the GPF, her score will be higher by at least a couple points, might even top 60. She's scored 58+ for her SP at a JGP event two seasons ago before she improved so much, so I definitely think 60 is possible for her, even without doing the 3f-3t.

I'm surprised by how many people think Mirai is a frontrunner for the 2nd spot, at this point I'd say she's behind Gracie and Christina to be honest, yes her performances on the GP this season LOOKED good, but she's still having issues with the URs, and neither her 3t-3t or 2a-3t are rock solid combos for her, at least not yet. I'm thinking Mirai will probably place 3rd or 4th at Nationals and go to 4CC most likely. I still really like her skating, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem as impressive to me as it was around the time of the last Olympics. Maybe if she was going for harder content, or rotating all her jumps consistently, my opinion would change, so if come Nationals she does just that, and I may be dazzled by her merits once again. But who knows.

In any event, I think it might be hard for Agnes to make the podium at Nationals this time.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not an uber for any U.S. lady. I just would like to see the 2 that go to Worlds be the best, and for me, all of the top ladies right now have some great skills to offer. I've always liked Mirai but I'm warming to the new and improved Christina this year.

Mirai's 2x-3t has actually been pretty consistent since Glacier Falls. I recall one competition where she was downgraded on the 3t but otherwise, she's done very well with that jump combo. I do agree that the 3t-3t is not perfect, but she is still transitioning to that jump combo and it has slowly been getting better. Mirai has always had problems with UR's but they tend to get better later in the season: 2009 CoC ----> 2010 Winter Olympics is an extreme example that comes to my mind. So, I still hold out hope for her despite her last couple of seasons since she seems so motivated this season
    Last edited by olympic; 12-01-2012 at 02:55 PM.

vCash
    It will be interesting to see Gao and Nagasu skate in the same warm up groups and practices. I wish I could see in person to compare their speed and skating skills.

I do think Christina has not been given any love by the judges or her federation. If she keeps landing everything, that could change. But if it doesn't change, Mirai has the edge because she's outscoring her even with the URs.

Here's a question - can a federation send a skater to 4CCs and also to Junior Worlds in the same season? Or once they compete at 4CCs are they ineligible for Junior Worlds?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    i've read a lot about how Mirai stunk at 2011 Nats. To me, I thought Mirai and Flatt were very on par with each other. Both made big mistakes in the FS and Mirai had a better SP. I was very unhappy about the whole tibia gate thing after Mirai skated superbly at 4CC. What were your opinions?

vCash
    Gawd, do we have to relive Tibiagate??????
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Title-less
    vCash
    Mirai has always had problems with UR's but they tend to get better later in the season: 2009 CoC ----> 2010 Winter Olympics is an extreme example that comes to my mind. So, I still hold out hope for her despite her last couple of seasons since she seems so motivated this season
    2010 Winter Olympics was known for the generous calling (I remember jokes about it in the threads and how Ando might as well go for the 3/3 considering the calls). Besides, Mirai has gotten ur calls late in the season before. 2011 4CC is the one example where I remember she definitely fixed her urs.

re: Mirai. I don't know if she's a totally different skater. I think she always has it in her, and she has shown enough of her brilliant side to keep fans hoping over the years. Whether she can have a consistently brilliant season remains to be seen. It's too early to say whether she can be completely different for a whole season.

vCash
    Let's please not revisit "Tibia-gate" again... maybe start a new thread in the Trash Can if you really care that much!

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Here's a question - can a federation send a skater to 4CCs and also to Junior Worlds in the same season? Or once they compete at 4CCs are they ineligible for Junior Worlds?
    As of now, a skater still can be sent to both, I'm pretty sure, as long as they are age-eligible. I just checked past seasons' assignments, and USFS hasn't sent a lady to both Four Continents and Junior Worlds since Caroline Zhang in 2009. I hope the post-Nationals assignments continue to be spread around/out because it's important for as many different skaters as possible to establish or raise their ISU SB scores and World Standings ranking points each season, and skaters can only count 1 ISU Championship (Worlds, 4CC or Jr. Worlds) for World Standings points per season.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    So if Gold isn't 1st or 2nd at Nationals so doesn't go to Sr. Worlds, can she go to Jr. Worlds now that she has competed on the SGP? Was that rule actually passed or did we all just talk about it being a good idea?
    A similar question was raised in the U.S. Men's thread in GSD and my reply there was:
    "I looked up the current ISU Constitution and General Regulations online and didn't see it included/underlined as a new rule, so I don't believe that particular proposal was passed at the ISU Congress this summer? Can anyone confirm?"
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-01-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Title-less
    vCash
    My guess is that Gracie is going to junior world again if she isn't top 4, though I surely hope Agnes Z and Gao won't be going to JW again if they don't get 4CC or worlds. Let's hope Wang, Cesario, Keiser and the others step it up and "speak" for their junior world spots!

(ETA: That said I don't follow ISU rule changes closely to know whether Gracie can go)

(I also hope USFS will consider the ability of the lady to do a flip in the short as part of their consideration for junior world)
    Last edited by jlai; 12-01-2012 at 07:10 PM.

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast