Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    In 2010?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    ^ Yes....... Am I the only person who remembers this?!?!? Most people thought Mirai had won her second title after her LP at 2010 US Nationals, but for some reason, her LP score was really low, which was due to some questionable calls on her jumps in the LP.

vCash
    I remember it took them a loooooooooooong time to name the ladies team.

Title-less
    vCash
    I was watching Mirai in the arena, and even that far away I could tell some of Mirai's jumps would be dinged, and I didnt even need replay to tell. Ceasrio got a huge audience reception for her lp, but shegot dinged for urs,and as it turned out, she got dinged the same way at jgp the next year. So thecaller was rightly strict that time at 2010. It turned out a good thing for Cesario who made her jumps so big since.
    Last edited by jlai; 11-30-2012 at 02:11 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    ^ Yes....... Am I the only person who remembers this?!?!? Most people thought Mirai had won her second title after her LP at 2010 US Nationals, but for some reason, her LP score was really low, which was due to some questionable calls on her jumps in the LP.
    No, I totally remember this, too. This is how I remember it:

After the SP, Mirai was first, followed by Sasha, Rachael and Ashley (in that order). The top 3 were very close and Ashley was a bit behind (I think it was 7 points between Rachael and Ashley, but then there was a good distance between Ashley and Christina, who was 5th).

I don't know why this happened, but for some reason, the last warm-up group wasn't quite in order. First was Amanda Dobbs (remember her?) and then Christina, then Ashley. For some reason, Sasha went next, followed by Rachael, followed by Mirai.

Amanda and Christina were non-factors (but I remember pinky spent a lot of the spring/summer saying that Christina would win 2011 Nationals). Ashley put out a super-solid (save for some questionable jumps) and wound up with 184-something. Sasha tanked and wound up ~10 pts. below Ashley. Ash spends the rest of the night looking at the scoreboard with this scared look on her face. Rachael does a decent enough job and somehow pulls out 200-something. Then comes Mirai, who skated to Carmen (scares me that I remember the top 4 scores and music selection!) and had the crowd going wild. I thought she won. The crowd seemed to think she won. Scott Hamilton even said he was pretty sure she was the proud recipient of a 2nd title.

Then, for some reason, she got URs (it wasn't very clear from the NBC camera view, IIRC). She got 188-something, a distant second from Rachael, and the shock set in.

And then, yeah, it took a long time for them to name the team, and Ashley found out that she didn't make the cut because someone sent her a text. I do wonder if the top four and the way things panned out throughout their careers (what with Sasha royally screwing up, Ashley qualifying to the GPF and Mirai's 2008-2009 season) meant that there was actually some debate about who would make the team (but it turned out the way I expected).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I certainly thought so. Nagasu had the crowd and the fire that night, Flatt didn't.

Anyway, for the second spot it seems to be between Gold, Nagasu and Gao (not forgetting Zawadzki, of course). I'd probably put likelihood in that order (Gold most likely, Nagasu 2nd, etc.)

vCash
    There's a "TV rule" in USFS' rule book that dictates the top 3 after the SP (Senior singles) will draw to skate in the last 3 of the FS and 4-6 after the SP will draw to skate in the first 3. IIRC, all the 2010 Olympic team members and alternates reportedly were notified by USFS via text message.

ETA 2013 competition dates:
    Nationals are Jan. 20-27 in Omaha, NE
    4CC are Feb. 6-11 in Osaka, JPN
    Jr. Worlds are Feb. 25-Mar. 3 in Milan, ITA
    Worlds are Mar. 10-17 in London, CAN
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-30-2012 at 03:23 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    My prediction: Who ever places, there will still be plenty of bitching about the results and who is announced on the Worlds/4CC/JW teams.
    Trueness
    "You may know what you need, but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have." ~ Stephen Sondheim

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I don't know why this happened, but for some reason, the last warm-up group wasn't quite in order. First was Amanda Dobbs (remember her?) and then Christina, then Ashley.
    The tv-oriented skating order has been in place for some time.

Then comes Mirai, who skated to Carmen (scares me that I remember the top 4 scores and music selection!) and had the crowd going wild. I thought she won. The crowd seemed to think she won. Scott Hamilton even said he was pretty sure she was the proud recipient of a 2nd title.

Then, for some reason, she got URs (it wasn't very clear from the NBC camera view, IIRC). She got 188-something, a distant second from Rachael, and the shock set in.
    The crowd went wild for Cesario that night too, but the caller dinged her for URs, which she also got dinged for the next season in her jgp. And Scott Hamilton, well, he did say Yagudin conceded the long program in 2002 right?

The calling back then was super-strict across all GPs -- if you looked quarter turn short you were downgraded. The > and >> thing took effect a year or two ago, I think.

Anyway, I'm thankful for tough calling. If not for that, we wouldn't see Cesario and her huge jumps today. I wish some of our top skaters had gotten more calls earlier in their career to help them work on their jumps.

vCash

vCash
    As sad as Lip's withdrawal is from the GPF, it's also a major break through for Gao, who is now in as the 6th finalist.

vCash
    It's going to be a hard trip for her, so close to finals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    It's going to be a hard trip for her, so close to finals.
    Harvard used to have finals after Xmas. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

vCash
    Finals at Harvard are before Xmas - I'm sure Christina will find a way to manage... what a great opportunity for her to compete in Sochi!

Details on Julia Lipnitskaia's injury withdrawal: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3758585
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Local TV news story and interview with Hannah Miller ahead of the JGP Final: http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/M...181521081.html

Here's a 30-second clip from her free skate in practice this morning: http://twitter.yfrog.com/77paaumjspbykcmbsmxqbhesz

vCash
    So excited for Christina! (but sad for Julia). If she can skate well at the GPF, that should definitely help her case to make the World team!

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Interesting turn of events! Goodluck Christina! Julia, hope she is okay, I just read the injury report

vCash
    Ahh, Harvard now has finals before Christmas, a much saner schedule!
    Christina is lucky, GPF falls on Reading Period, so no missed classes. And then she'll still have a couple days after GPF to rest and study for her finals.
    http://www.registrar.fas.harvard.edu/calendar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizzlerS View Post
    I guess there tends to be more b***hing than news in the U.S. ladies thread, but since the above is actually news, it seems to be not the place for Trash, altho' of course there is always overlap.

Good luck to Christina! Hope this gives Julia a chance to rest and heal (her head and her ankle), as well as to reflect on the aspects of her skating where she can improve and further develop.

vCash
    I had already predicted Lipnitskaya would withdraw to heal her ankle, but this makes me a bit more angry at the NHK judging. I believed Suzuki should have won and Mirai a distant second, but maoturation, both fell a spot. Mirai would have tied Tukt and Gao in points but would win over Gao for combined score.

Well at least another American goes to GPF. Good luck Christina!

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast