Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 154
  1. #121
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    Posts
    2,424
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    But a Manley Meltdown was not a rare occurrence. Trenary definitely had a chance for a medal.
    If memory serves me correctly, Sports Illustrated in their medal predictions listed Witt for gold, Thomas for silver, and TRENARY for bronze.

  2. #122
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    949
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Maybe should start a different thread, but I was able to get some of the Olympic results through the way back web. It would probably be best to back these results up on your own computer. I wasn't able to get all of the results. The official reports don't even list ordinals like this!
    For example
    http://web.archive.org/web/200710240...igure_w_ex.htm

  3. #123
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my bedroom flipping the light on/off
    Posts
    916
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Maybe should start a different thread, but I was able to get some of the Olympic results through the way back web. It would probably be best to back these results up on your own computer. I wasn't able to get all of the results. The official reports don't even list ordinals like this!
    For example
    http://web.archive.org/web/200710240...igure_w_ex.htm
    Thanks for posting that url, Clay. Zayak sure was hosed there in Sarajevo, wasn't she.

  4. #124

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,413
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1618
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    If memory serves me correctly, Sports Illustrated in their medal predictions listed Witt for gold, Thomas for silver, and TRENARY for bronze.
    IIRC they predicted KADAVY as the bronze medalist.

  5. #125
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,763
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    Thanks for posting that url, Clay. Zayak sure was hosed there in Sarajevo, wasn't she.
    Zayak had seemed to fall out of favor. TPTB were seemingly all too happy to embrace skaters perceived to be more graceful and refined.

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,311
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    45519
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    IIRC they predicted KADAVY as the bronze medalist.
    That's my recollection too.

  7. #127
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my bedroom flipping the light on/off
    Posts
    916
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    IIRC they predicted KADAVY as the bronze medalist.
    Houston Chronicle predicted Witt, Thomas, and Trenary. Maybe that was also the AP article, but I remember that. Looking back, Kadavy was spoken about with such codewords like "sensitive", "vulnerable", or "delicate". Remember that? You just know they wanted to say she was a mental trainwreck, a wuss, and not reliable at all as a competitor. But she seemed like a nice young woman and no one wanted to call her on her BS.

    And going back down memory lane, I was taken aback by Jill. Or mesmerized, I have no idea. You knew instantly (and I was an 80s child) her personality just by that snappy hairdo. It was not cheap to maintain that hairdo, and she just had that overwhelming sense of B*tch. First of all, you know she hated her parents just for naming her "Jill". I mean WTF kind of name is that? I was friends with a varsity cheerleader like her and NO one's boyfriend was safe or off limits if she came in to a party and was in a mood. I could watch Jill's SP all day just because of the shoulder pads (is she the first and only to skate with shoulder pads?) the snappy 'do, and just the total b*tchiness she skated with. She also skated to Irma La Douce like Manley, but while Manley portrayed basically a girl-woman cartoon, Jill was all business and took no prisoners. If Jill entered a room, other girls (and guys) would hold on to their boyfriends extra closely. Who knows what she's up to.
    Last edited by Alex Forrest; 12-04-2012 at 11:12 AM.

  8. #128
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    Posts
    2,424
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    Houston Chronicle predicted Witt, Thomas, and Trenary. Maybe that was also the AP article, but I remember that. Looking back, Kadavy was spoken about with such codewords like "sensitive", "vulnerable", or "delicate". Remember that? You just know they wanted to say she was a mental trainwreck, a wuss, and not reliable at all as a competitor. But she seemed like a nice young woman and no one wanted to call her on her BS.

    And going back down memory lane, I was taken aback by Jill. Or mesmerized, I have no idea. You knew instantly (and I was an 80s child) her personality just by that snappy hairdo. It was not cheap to maintain that hairdo, and she just had that overwhelming sense of B*tch. First of all, you know she hated her parents just for naming her "Jill". I mean WTF kind of name is that? I was friends with a varsity cheerleader like her and NO one's boyfriend was safe or off limits if she came in to a party and was in a mood. I could watch Jill's SP all day just because of the shoulder pads (is she the first and only to skate with shoulder pads?) the snappy 'do, and just the total b*tchiness she skated with. She also skated to Irma La Douce like Manley, but while Manley portrayed basically a girl-woman cartoon, Jill was all business and took no prisoners. If Jill entered a room, other girls (and guys) would hold on to their boyfriends extra closely. Who knows what she's up to.
    Well, the 'Jill' factor certainly got Christopher Dean hooked for a time.

    When he did commentary for Australian TV, he said Trenary had a cover girl look about her. I bet Isabelle made him sleep on the couch that night for that comment.

  9. #129
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Didn't the pairs competition at Calgary '88 resemble a 3-country competition between the USSR, USA and Canada? - 3 Soviet teams, 3 American teams, and 3 Canadian teams. There was a GDR team thrown in for good measure who I thought were promising but inconsistent.

    Outside of G/G and V/V, it was IMO actually rather mistake ridden and uneventful. I never considered W/O even one of the great teams from the U.S. and w/ mistakes, they ended up w/ a bronze. The Canadian teams of B/J and B/E were rather new and not fully realized. W/W had a few nice qualities but they didn't even seem to enjoy skating w/ one another.

  10. #130
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    322
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    And going back down memory lane, I was taken aback by Jill. Or mesmerized, I have no idea. You knew instantly (and I was an 80s child) her personality just by that snappy hairdo. It was not cheap to maintain that hairdo, and she just had that overwhelming sense of B*tch. First of all, you know she hated her parents just for naming her "Jill". I mean WTF kind of name is that? I was friends with a varsity cheerleader like her and NO one's boyfriend was safe or off limits if she came in to a party and was in a mood. I could watch Jill's SP all day just because of the shoulder pads (is she the first and only to skate with shoulder pads?) the snappy 'do, and just the total b*tchiness she skated with. She also skated to Irma La Douce like Manley, but while Manley portrayed basically a girl-woman cartoon, Jill was all business and took no prisoners. If Jill entered a room, other girls (and guys) would hold on to their boyfriends extra closely. Who knows what she's up to.
    LOL. How many years did she have that hairdo? I think I've only seen a quick glimpse of her with long hair and she looked 10x better with it.

    If you think Jill is a WTF name, what about "Caryn". Just spell it Karen! I don't understand when parents think they are being unique by changing the spelling of common names... I.e. Rachael, Alissa, Caydee, etc.

  11. #131
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,763
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Roz had a similar hairstyle in 83 and 84. Tonia K. and even Holly Cook had similar hair. That was THE HAIR to have back in the days.

    What's wrong with the name Jill? It's better than say a Martha or an Agnes, IMO.

  12. #132
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my bedroom flipping the light on/off
    Posts
    916
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Roz had a similar hairstyle in 83 and 84. Tonia K. and even Holly Cook had similar hair. That was THE HAIR to have back in the days.

    What's wrong with the name Jill? It's better than say a Martha or an Agnes, IMO.
    It's the plainest name on the planet, and Jill was anything but plain. She looked more like a Tiffany or Brittany. IMO. Tiffany Trenary has an attitude to it.
    Last edited by Alex Forrest; 12-04-2012 at 10:32 PM.

  13. #133

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    He's fine! He sends his love!
    Posts
    2,038
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post

    And going back down memory lane, I was taken aback by Jill. Or mesmerized, I have no idea. You knew instantly (and I was an 80s child) her personality just by that snappy hairdo. It was not cheap to maintain that hairdo, and she just had that overwhelming sense of B*tch. First of all, you know she hated her parents just for naming her "Jill". I mean WTF kind of name is that? I was friends with a varsity cheerleader like her and NO one's boyfriend was safe or off limits if she came in to a party and was in a mood. I could watch Jill's SP all day just because of the shoulder pads (is she the first and only to skate with shoulder pads?) the snappy 'do, and just the total b*tchiness she skated with. She also skated to Irma La Douce like Manley, but while Manley portrayed basically a girl-woman cartoon, Jill was all business and took no prisoners. If Jill entered a room, other girls (and guys) would hold on to their boyfriends extra closely. Who knows what she's up to.
    This post makes me so happy! I love, love, love Jill always have and always will. Loved her skating (she did have great basics), loved her dodgy jump landings, loved her bitchiness (you know she made Faasi's life a living hell), and her looks. The fact that she could remotely pull off that hairdo is a testament to how beautiful she was. She was the epitome of American Ice Princess (in the best and worst possible ways)

  14. #134
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    322
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I wonder how Trenary and Kadavy got along when they were training together. Who went to Fassi first? I'm very interested to see how the dynamics were during that time. You know Jill was fuming when Caryn got on the podium at 87 Worlds over her.

    I hope Jill doesn't read figure skating message boards because everything down to her programs and hair has been made fun of ad nauseam over the years.
    Something about her tells me she has thick skin and could look back and laugh at herself though. Are there any recent pics of her or Caryn? Neither of them seem to make any appearances at all.

  15. #135
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    Posts
    2,424
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    I hope Jill doesn't read figure skating message boards because everything down to her programs and hair has been made fun of ad nauseam over the years.
    Something about her tells me she has thick skin and could look back and laugh at herself though.
    If you watch interviews with Jill from 1992 onwards, she is a lot more relaxed and happy. There is one interview where she is asked if she'll consider returning to competition along with a few of the other professional skaters at the time. After watching the 1993 World Championships, she just laughs it off and says something along the lines that the new girls coming in have amazing technical merit, as well as that fire and drive that you need to win.

    As good as Jill was, competition must have been tremendously stressful (especially being in the United States at the time where the talent pool was so deep), knowing she had to be at her absolute best every time to win.

  16. #136
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my bedroom flipping the light on/off
    Posts
    916
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    I wonder how Trenary and Kadavy got along when they were training together. Who went to Fassi first? I'm very interested to see how the dynamics were during that time. You know Jill was fuming when Caryn got on the podium at 87 Worlds over her.
    Jill and Caryn were fierce rivals on and off the ice. Whether competing for skating titles, Fassi's attention, boyfriends, just name it. Caryn was said to be worn down by Jill's competitiveness for years after she left eligible skating. IIRC, Carlo spent more time with Caryn, and Christa with Jill because there was so much bad blood there at the Broadmoor.

  17. #137

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    Posts
    7,543
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6831
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    . . . That was THE HAIR to have back in the days . . .
    Yes, yes, the Aquanet Wedge. This hair style was an evolutionary step between the Hamill Wedge of the late 1970s and Aquanet Bangs of the early 1990s. Some skaters, such as Tonya Harding, had careers that spanned the full transition.

  18. #138

  19. #139

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Infected with the joy of skating!!
    Posts
    10,394
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7844
    Thanks!!!!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

  20. #140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,069
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Jill's competition hair might have been responsible for half of the hole in that ozone layer.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •