vCash

Flying with skates (a NYC skate)

Heading to New York City by air next weekend , does anyone know if skates are ok in your carry on?
    I am planning to hit up Rockefeller centre to skate while there ( anyone want to join in?)
    And was hoping to bring my skates along
    Thanks!!

INTJ
    vCash
    They have to be checked now, unfortunately. You might get away with putting them on as the special baggage (like with the strollers and stuff) if the airline offers that kind of service.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Dang was not planning on checking a bag!!!!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    It's my understanding that ice skates are allowed as a carry on. TSA compliance seems to vary at different airports, though, so it's really a hit or miss situation.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    TSA allows skates to be carried on. The TSA app specifically states that they are OK for carry on. I didn't have a problem with it when I flew in April.

They are not listed as prohibited items:
    http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...ohibited-items

vCash
    US Speedskating claims that the TSA published a letter stating that ice skates are allowed as carryon, but I can't find that letter on the TSA website, only on USS' site.

http://www.usspeedskating.org/sites/...ates_Flyer.pdf

I usually fly with skates and always check them now; why haul them to/from the gate? I have no competition or show waiting for me at my destination; I'm either going to skate with friends, maybe coach a bit, or get my skates sharpened/adjusted. If they get lost/stolen en route, I have insurance and spare skates.

A skating friend told me a story recently: there was a woman on her flight who was going on and on about how important it was to keep her skates at hand, even on the plane/in the terminal. Turned out she was an LTS skater who was going to tourist-skate at Rock Center on her (dull) Jackson Glaciers with the dirty laces and no guards.

Quote: "You'd have thought she was ******* Sasha Cohen, the way she carried on about her skates. Everyone at the Gate knew she 'was carrying' and she warned her seatmate about the sharp blades."

vCash
    I used to carry on, but I no longer bother. It was too hit-or-miss, no matter what the rules actually are. So now, I check them, so I don't have to worry about it.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Would the airline know? I just don't want to get to the security check and be told no sorry!!!!

4 More Years
    vCash
    The airline may give you one answer, but the reality is, it will be up to the TSA. Although they are not banned, I have had instances where I had to check the skates and other instances where I was permitted to carry them through. My suggestion is to give it a try but allow yourself plenty of time if you have to go back and check them in.

vCash
    thanks skatemomaz