Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 118 of 118
  1. #101

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,967
    vCash
    1271
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by ross_hy View Post
    Speaking of musicals, there's going to be a live TV version of the stage version of The Sound of Music next year. Carrie Underwood has been cast as Maria.

    http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/30/ca...ound-of-music/
    I like Carrie's song about slashing the guys tires and taking a Louisville slugger to both headlights but I don't see her as Maria, at least not the way Maria has been portrayed so far. Although the real Maria was reputed to be quite a tyrant, and the Captain the gentler parent.

  2. #102
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,820
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Julie Andrews, she ain't. But, then, who is?

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,187
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I like Carrie's song about slashing the guys tires and taking a Louisville slugger to both headlights but I don't see her as Maria, at least not the way Maria has been portrayed so far. Although the real Maria was reputed to be quite a tyrant, and the Captain the gentler parent.
    I'm picturing Maria in short shorts going after the kids with that Louisville slugger.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

  4. #104

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Thankfukky watching skating
    Posts
    13,114
    vCash
    317
    Rep Power
    17206
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    The plot of the movie revolves around the audience wondering which of the potential actors will get cast in the parts. So, yes, telling you that one of the actors we follow around for the movie does not get cast is kind of a spoiler. And of course I realize that some people who have seen the revival will go in knowing whom gets cast, but I for one did not.

    And I just went along with Cachoo. But I also knew that writing it out would get that reaction. Seeing it onscreen was quite a bit different.
    This may be beating a dead horse, but there is a difference between the character & the actress who plays the character. The documentary came out 3 yrs ago. How many of us even see documentaries when they come out, much less 3 yrs later? You weren't talking about the character Sheila, you were talking about an actress who was up for the part. If someone wanted to research it they would be able to see what actress did get the part for the movie or play. I agree you shouldn't tell which characters got chosen for the movie but that wasn't the issue.

  5. #105
    Cruder than you thought
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    All choked up
    Posts
    19,136
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14963
    Gypsy is one of my all-time favorite movies. I've seen a number of different revivals of it on Broadway, but I think I love the movie the most.

    I loved the movie Cabaret.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

  6. #106

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,230
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2507
    Well, different strokes and all that, but I loathed the movie version of Cabaret. Saw it when it first came out and never, ever want to see it again.

    My favorite movie musical is The Bandwagon. I'm glued to TCM whenever they show it.

  7. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    This may be beating a dead horse, but there is a difference between the character & the actress who plays the character. The documentary came out 3 yrs ago. How many of us even see documentaries when they come out, much less 3 yrs later? You weren't talking about the character Sheila, you were talking about an actress who was up for the part. If someone wanted to research it they would be able to see what actress did get the part for the movie or play. I agree you shouldn't tell which characters got chosen for the movie but that wasn't the issue.
    Taf ---This whole spoiler/not spoiler issue was my doing and I do apologize for any problems it caused.

  8. #108
    Blergh
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,270
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16981
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Taf ---This whole spoiler/not spoiler issue was my doing and I do apologize for any problems it caused.
    I don't think you should be sorry. You were trying to protect those who may have never heard of the documentary and would have wanted to see it without spoilers. Yes, finding out what happens to an actor auditioning is considered a spoiling when they are the subjects of the documentary and drive the narrative.

    I understand where you're coming from taf2002, but I don't see why you need to attack Cachoo for being proactive. If you really wanted to know what happened without watching the documentary, all you had to do was request the person just tell you or say it with a spoiler tag.

  9. #109

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Thankfukky watching skating
    Posts
    13,114
    vCash
    317
    Rep Power
    17206
    I don't think I attacked anyone. But thanks for chiming in.

  10. #110

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,187
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't think anyone's yet mentioned A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. The film is a bit rambling, but it has its charms, including a very young, very skinny Michael Crawford.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,820
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I don't think anyone's yet mentioned A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. The film is a bit rambling, but it has its charms, including a very young, very skinny Michael Crawford.
    i did, way back in the thread. I saw it on Broadway when I was a kid and in the movies a few years later. I thought it was so funny. of course I didn't get half of it, I was too young!

  12. #112

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    17,187
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh, sorry, cruisin, I missed that!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

  13. #113
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,820
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Oh, sorry, cruisin, I missed that!
    S' okay! It was a good play, glad you saw it! Zero Mostel was incredible. He was best, however, as Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof.

  14. #114

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,995
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    791
    Someone upthread mentioned Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella, which will actually make its Broadway debut early next year. Here's the cast performing at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

    I love Laura Osnes. (not the best recording, though)

  15. #115
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,820
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Someone upthread mentioned Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella, which will actually make its Broadway debut early next year. Here's the cast performing at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

    I love Laura Osnes. (not the best recording, though)
    Thanks for those. I missed that part of the Macy's Parade on Thanksgiving. That is something for me to schedule with my daughter!

  16. #116
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    My favorite movie musical is The Bandwagon. I'm glued to TCM whenever they show it.
    I also enjoy "Bandwagon". Especially Triplets - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODn_igbvFdg

    Seems like we haven't discussed much that came before the "50s" We could go back to the earlier musicals. All the Broadway Melody movies, the Judy Garland movies, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, even Shirley Temple. Many were influenced heavily by Broadway. Jeannette McDonald/Nelson Eddy, Jimmy Cagney and on and on.

  17. #117
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,820
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I also enjoy "Bandwagon". Especially Triplets - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODn_igbvFdg

    Seems like we haven't discussed much that came before the "50s" We could go back to the earlier musicals. All the Broadway Melody movies, the Judy Garland movies, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, even Shirley Temple. Many were influenced heavily by Broadway. Jeannette McDonald/Nelson Eddy, Jimmy Cagney and on and on.
    Even further back, Ziegfield Follies and Busby Berkeley movies. Didn't Lucille Ball start out as a Ziegfield girl?

  18. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,017
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    This may be beating a dead horse, but there is a difference between the character & the actress who plays the character. The documentary came out 3 yrs ago. How many of us even see documentaries when they come out, much less 3 yrs later? You weren't talking about the character Sheila, you were talking about an actress who was up for the part. If someone wanted to research it they would be able to see what actress did get the part for the movie or play. I agree you shouldn't tell which characters got chosen for the movie but that wasn't the issue.
    Um, no? I was talking about the actors and actresses the whole time. The plot of the documentary is watching the casting process for the show. Yes, the show itself is about a casting process as well, but the point of the documentary itself was watching to see which actors and actresses get cast as the characters in the show (that was part of why they did it - to view the casting process for a show about a casting process!). I said exactly what I meant. I didn't want to spoil anyone who didn't already know about which actress is cast for the role of Sheila in the documentary, because it is a major plot point of the documentary itself.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •