Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I agree Vash01 about musicals made into movies. I think musicals that work on the stage don't necessarily work on a movie screen just because a movie screen tends to make things very broad and sometimes the lack of a strong plot in a musical is really emphasized on screen whereas on the stage that can be supplemented by staging. My favorite movie musicals are probably Singin' in the Rain, My Fair Lady, and Oklahoma. I think the film version of Rent was horrid and really exposed the lack of depth in both the plot and most of the music. I'm looking forward to Les Miserables and hope it is effectively adapted for the screen. I think film directors make a mistake with movie musicals when they just throw up what was on stage on the screen and don't consider the specific demands of the film medium are different than those of the stage.

vCash
    Has "Flower Drum Song" been mentioned? I saw both the movie & the stage performance & tho't both were great.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    What about the other direction: movies to musicals? Movies that were not musicals originally (or minimally so) that were then turned into big stage musicals. I know a couple of Disney ones have been mentioned already, but I'm thinking of ones like Spamalot, probably my favourite in this category -- as much as I love The Holy Grail, Spamalot was even better. I also thoroughly enjoyed the stage version of Victor/Victoria -- the movie did of course have a couple of songs but was not really a musical in the classic definition. And the stage version of Young Frankenstein was pretty great too.

I haven't seen Legally Blonde or Catch Me If You Can, but I understand both were/are pretty popular.

I agree that "the musical" is generally better in stage format than on screen -- aside from the dynamics of live performance, there's a suspension of disbelief that has to happen in a musical that's easier to achieve in theater than in film. But what I do like about the movie musical is the accessibility of it, particularly when it's big-name stars in the roles -- we don't all have the priviledge of getting to Broadway or the West End every year, y'know! And I also like how the film musical promotes the musical theatre genre. I'm sure a lot of people never saw a stage musical (unless they or their kids were involved in a school production) but then had their eyes opened because of a good movie version.

vCash
    I got to see Catch Me If You Can on Broadway and loved it. I don't think it got the acclaim it deserved. The score was terrific, and so were the performances. At least it's on tour now, so more people will get to see it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    IMO in the case of MFL it was seen more as a rejection of Julie than as acceptance of Audrey in that role.
    I agree. My problem is not with the inclusion of Audrey Hepburn but rather the lack of Julie Andrews. I know the film is good and it received tons of awards. However, given that the part was written specifically for Julie Andrews and that she had one of the truly beautiful voices ever and that she was in full voice and powers at the time - I will always think that the decision not to wait for her to be available was a huge mistake. What might we have seen? Yes, I know it's water under the bridge.

vCash
    Sweet Charity

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I got to see Catch Me If You Can on Broadway and loved it. I don't think it got the acclaim it deserved. The score was terrific, and so were the performances. At least it's on tour now, so more people will get to see it.
    I thought it did get the acclaim. It was nominated in all the top categories for the Tonys and the Drama Desk Awards that year -- it just had the bad luck to be up against Book of Mormon. And Norbert Leo Butz won for best actor in both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I agree. My problem is not with the inclusion of Audrey Hepburn but rather the lack of Julie Andrews. I know the film is good and it received tons of awards. However, given that the part was written specifically for Julie Andrews and that she had one of the truly beautiful voices ever and that she was in full voice and powers at the time - I will always think that the decision not to wait for her to be available was a huge mistake. What might we have seen? Yes, I know it's water under the bridge.
    George Bernard Shaw wrote Pygmalian specifically for Julie Andrews? Somehow I don't think so. I have seen JA in lots of movies where I loved her performance (Victor/Victoria was brilliant) but I doubt she would have been more wonderful than Audrey Hepburn in MFL. I have always hated the controversy because I don't think anyone was dissing Julie Andrews - I believe it was business, not personal. AH was much better known than Julie at the time, & Marni Nixon was a very popular choice for Eliza's songs & had (IMO) just as good a singing voice. And Audrey was much prettier too.

vCash
    As a matter of fact, Alan Jay Lerner originally wanted Mary Martin as Eliza. The mind reels.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I thought it did get the acclaim. It was nominated in all the top categories for the Tonys and the Drama Desk Awards that year -- it just had the bad luck to be up against Book of Mormon. And Norbert Leo Butz won for best actor in both.
    No, it only got four Tony noms, and Butz was the only actor nominated. Mixed reviews, one Tony award, and a five-and-a-half-month run weren't nearly as much acclaim as it deserved, in my opinion.

I just hope the tour is a success.

(Sorry for the double post.)

vCash
    I've never seen Guys and Dolls done by professionals onstage, only a high school production. I love the music but not the movie. Except for Vivian Blaine and Stubby Kaye, I don't like the casting--not even Sinatra. Putting Marlon Brando in this movie has always seemed just weird to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    I've never seen Guys and Dolls done by professionals onstage, only a high school production. I love the music but not the movie. Except for Vivian Blaine and Stubby Kaye, I don't like the casting--not even Sinatra. Putting Marlon Brando in this movie has always seemed just weird to me.
    I liked Sinatra, but not Brando. It kills me that they had to take my favorite song ("I've Never Been in Love Before") out of the score because he couldn't sing it.

(Sorry for all the blabbing in this thread. I'm crazy about musicals. )

vCash
    I didn't think Mame translated well to the screen and I thought it a terrific musical. I always wanted to see the musical about dancers (gypsies) on the screen--it starred Lauren Bacall and was called Applause. I guess it wasn't considered a stand-out show.

vCash
    Applause was based on All about Eve, wasn't it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I didn't think Mame translated well to the screen and I thought it a terrific musical.
    It was all because of Lucille Ball's casting. She was far too old, couldn't sing, and I think her comedy wasn't right for the role. Watch Rosalind Russell in Auntie Mame and you realize that the actress needs to have the presence of a somewhat dignified yet eccentric lady who knows how to deliver her lines with wit and impeccable timing. So when some of the more zany scenes happen, it's funnier.

People already got to know Ball as a screwball comedienne, so it seemed like I Love Lucy in a different setting.

I have a soft-spot for the film version of Gypsy but even I can't ignore many of the faults. The pacing was all wrong (it seemed to overly long in many scenes) and Rosalind Russell played Rose like Auntie Mame. That said, there are moments where I love Russell's Rose despite the fact that I don't think the interpretation was spot-on. What I do love is the choreography, the three strippers (they were perfect), Dainty/Baby June and Natalie Wood. IMO, she's the best Gypsy. Her monologue at the end was perfect, and I love that twinkle in her eye when she's watching the strippers sing "Gotta Have a Gimmick" and you sense she's becoming Gypsy Rose Lee.

I also think the trick with Gypsy is that near the end, you see Gypsy finally get her due (after Rose steals all the scenes) and have that great Strip number. Then they have an argument, and then Rose has the final song, and you see Rose stealing the show again without the audience realizing that Rose totally stole Gypsy's thunder. With Roz's limited singing, it's more difficult for her to sell that part.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 11-23-2012 at 10:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    My Fair Lady - I don't think it has been listed so far. Most people know the story that Audrey Hepburn was cast because Julie Andrews was under contract to make Mary Poppins and that the studio couldn't/wouldn't wait for her.
    Not sure where your information comes from but I recently finished the biography of Walt Disney and that states that Julie Andrews wasn't under contract yet. The film studio chose Hepburn over Andrews because they wanted a "fresh face" and Andrews did Mary Poppins as a "consolation". Then Andrews went on to win the Oscar while, if I remember correctly, Hepburn wasn't even nominated for My Fair Lady. Though I might be wrong there but Andrews definitely won the Oscar for Mary Poppins whereas Hepburn didn't win anything for My Fair Lady.

vCash
    The Pirates of Penzance has always been a favorite. Kevin Kline was incredible as the pirate king!

vCash
    I do wonder if Julie Andrews would've won an Oscar for My Fair Lady because Andrews lost the Tony for My Fair Lady to Judy Holliday for Bells Are Ringing (Ms. Holliday also beat Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard and Bette Davis in All About Eve for the Best Actress Oscar for her role in Born Yesterday). I'm sure she would have since My Fair Lady won a lot of Oscars, and it doesn't seem like her competition was that great that year.

To be quite honest, Hepburn deserved a nomination that year. Sure she didn't sing, but for some reason Hollywood began to care about dubbing in the 1960s while other dubbed actresses were nominated for musicals in the past (Dorothy Dandridge in Carmen Jones and Deborah Kerr in The King and I). From a book I read about regarding the Broadway/Hollywood relationship, the perception that Hepburn "stole" the role from Andrews was very strong at the time and she received major backlash from it. It was realized when she didn't receive an Oscar nomination. She apparently took it personally, but like a class-act, went to the Oscars and presented Best Actor to her co-star Rex Harrison. Katherine Hepburn wrote her a letter saying telling her not to worry and that the Academy will give her another nomination for a lesser performance once the whole thing blew over.

In the end, Rex Harrison called Andrews and Hepburn his "two fair ladies" (they didn't call him Sexy Rexy for nothing), and Hepburn and Andrews became friends after the controversy. Also, Hollywood seemed to forgive her after that and she received another Oscar nomination years later.

All that being said, Julie Andrews not getting My Fair Lady may have been a blessing. Not only do we have her glorious voice on two cast albums (Broadway and London), but she got a great role in Mary Poppins (which was a huge blockbuster and I think made more money than My Fair Lady the year of its release), got huge and audience Hollywood support for not getting the role, and last but certainly not least, the producers of The Sound of Music hired Andrews after seeing footage of Mary Poppins (it wasn't released yet), and offered her the role of Maria von Trapp, and the rest is history. I also like that we get to hear Marni Nixon's renditions of the My Fair Lady songs because I positively love the way she sang the material. They're more introspective and smooth to match Hepburn's Eliza.

vCash
    The best adaptation of a musical to movie screen is "Fiddler on the Roof" imo. There's a rawness about the environment in that movie that grounded it a bit.

"Chicago" made a smart decision IMO in placing the context of the movie in Roxie's imagination (which is not how it's presented on stage).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimsoul View Post
    The Pirates of Penzance has always been a favorite. Kevin Kline was incredible as the pirate king!
    Love that version -- in spite of Linda Ronstadt. Who wasn't awful, just ... not great. And too old! I've seen lots of less-than-ingénue-aged women in stage versions of G&S, but again, it's easier to suspend disbelief as a live audience than for film.

But Kevin Kline's amazingness more than made up for it, along with the OTT cheezy/campy feel to the whole thing. Angela Lansbury was great as Ruth too.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast