Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

What are your New Years Resalutions as a Skater?

Ok everyone!!! Because we're nearing the end of 2012,I want to know what are your New Years Resalutions as a Skater? Mine are....

To get better at what I can do on the Ice,and to gain more Speed. Anyone else?

vCash
    I need to get in better shape overall so that getting around in my dances isn't quite so exhausting! I have improved since September already so that is encouraging. I would like to make an effort to improve my basic stroking as well. Those things could go hand in hand I am sure! Also - I want to force myself to test a dance or 2.

vCash
    My new years skating resolution is to go back to basics!

I've lost a lot of weight this year that has really helped my skating, especially my jumps, and my spins are much faster as a result of the weightloss.

What I need to do now though, is go back to the basics, concentrate on knee bend and generating more power from each stroke. Work on all the basic field moves but trying to do them all with better edge control, more speed etc

Then try to add that speed to the jumps I have.

I think i've spent too much time getting technique back on jumps and adjusting as i've lost weight this year and not enough time on the basics so I look forward to that.

vCash
    I need to start working on my harder jumps again (axels, 2sals and 2toes) since my knee is holding up well ever since I got back to regular training. Need to test adult gold MITF some time before the summer and then start working on novice moves (already passed intermediate MITF before the knee destruction). Have a few spins I'd like to improve on -laybacks are very Volchkova-like right now, without much back bend and flying camels also need tons of work.

I'm just happy to have ice time and be able to work on these things again, though .

vCash
    Hmmm. I want to pass my Preliminary test. Work more on the field moves type stuff, and (gulp) transitions.

Ambitious goals: Compete interstate if finances allow.

Super-Ambitious goals: Start Axel. Maybe even...land it.

vCash
    I had a goal of passing at least 3 of 4 of my Gold Dances this year, but that's not happening... so...

* Complete my Standard track Gold Dance Test (Not give in and switch to just Adult, Adult Solo, or Solo in order to make it happen)
    * Get Double Sal clean/consistent
    * Get that beautiful back-camel-to-catchfoot-camel-to-back-layback-while-still-holding-free-leg position Jason Brown does, consistent and fast
    * Get a consistent level 2 layback, so that I can put it into my free skate when the music demands it -- and work on being able to put the layback into spin combinations
    * Earn a score of 30 + at adult sectionals in my free skate
    * Earn a score of 30 + in my Free Skate(s) at adult nationals
    * Place in the top 4 of the Paso portion of the adult gold solo dance at nationals (Viennese will be a wholllllllle another story )
    * Break my personal best score FS of 33.69 anytime this season if possible
    * Possibly test/pass the Senior Solo Free Dance test if time/money allows this year...

vCash
    Get thin enough to wear a skating dress!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Get thin enough to wear a skating dress!

I hear ya!

vCash
    Stop over thinking things and get my brain in line? Yeah, that's not happening...

I guess mohawks and 3 turns? I have a mental block with mohawks. I can do them at the wall and just freeze away from the wall. Haven't started 3 turns yet, but I think I will next LTS session.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Stop over thinking things and get my brain in line? Yeah, that's not happening...

I guess mohawks and 3 turns? I have a mental block with mohawks. I can do them at the wall and just freeze away from the wall. Haven't started 3 turns yet, but I think I will next LTS session.
    Ha, I have this problem too. You'll be happy to know though that with enough time just forcing myself to do it I can do forward outside 3 turns and mohawks. Forward inside 3 turns are still on the mental block though. What I had to do was wean myself off the wall. Start with not touching the wall on the glide in and then reach out when you switch. Something like that.

My goals are to pass ISI freestyle 1 and 2. I can do parts of both, just not everything. Clearly my forward inside 3 turns have to get past my mental block though for that to happen. Ahaha. Still working on that. I will get it though!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukia View Post
    Ha, I have this problem too. You'll be happy to know though that with enough time just forcing myself to do it I can do forward outside 3 turns and mohawks. Forward inside 3 turns are still on the mental block though. What I had to do was wean myself off the wall. Start with not touching the wall on the glide in and then reach out when you switch. Something like that.

My goals are to pass ISI freestyle 1 and 2. I can do parts of both, just not everything. Clearly my forward inside 3 turns have to get past my mental block though for that to happen. Ahaha. Still working on that. I will get it though!
    Glad I'm not alone with this! I don't know why mohawks are just so hard. And then I look a see little kids doing them easily on the first attempt... Grr.

I'm definitely going to start to work on not touch the wall for the forward glide and only touching the wall as I switch. I tried once or twice last time I skated, but then didn't. Next time I'll work more on that. Thanks for the tip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    I need to get in better shape overall so that getting around in my dances isn't quite so exhausting! I have improved since September already so that is encouraging. I would like to make an effort to improve my basic stroking as well. Those things could go hand in hand I am sure! Also - I want to force myself to test a dance or 2.
    I passed my Paso tonight! I also took my Kilian and DIDN'T pass it (a bit of a disaster actually - including me getting my toe pick caught in my pant leg and more) but just taking the tests was a big deal for me so I am happy! And now I just have one senior silver test to go!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    I passed my Paso tonight! I also took my Kilian and DIDN'T pass it (a bit of a disaster actually - including me getting my toe pick caught in my pant leg and more) but just taking the tests was a big deal for me so I am happy! And now I just have one senior silver test to go!
    Congratulations and you're ahead of schedule, by the sounds of it...might be time to add to the list of goals .

vCash
    My goal is to get my double axel back before Christmas... and then at least triple sal and toe back in the new year. And pass another diamond dance test.

vCash
    After falling down the stairs and with every day the doctors looking at my foot the story getting worse, my goal for 2013 is now to just get back on the ice.

vCash
    I rarely make new year's resolutions because I rarely keep them. This year though, a friend gave me a gift certificate (as a Christmas present) for a skating rink near my home. After 20 years of private lessons, last year I stopped going skating. I have not skated in a year, although I kept saying how much I want to go back. My resolution now is to use the certificate, which is for two sessions. I think that is enough to get started again, and hopefully I will continue on.

vCash
    Good for you Accordion. The Kilian was my nemesis.

My goal is to pass my last diamond dance and to therefore have completed all my dance tests. Should have it accomplished by tried summer at the latest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Synchkat View Post
    Good for you Accordion. The Kilian was my nemesis.

My goal is to pass my last diamond dance and to therefore have completed all my dance tests. Should have it accomplished by tried summer at the latest.
    Thank you! And that's amazing - which is your last dance? Good luck with it! And make sure to post here when you get it done!

vCash
    My last dance is the Austrian Waltz. I got my first two diamond dances about 20 years ago, my third this past summer and hope to finish up in 2013.

vCash
    That is amazing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast